Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary 2013 Chit/Chat/Travel Advice READ

Options
  • 09-02-2013 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey taught it might be a good idea to set up something like this to help fellow travelers out with information on what they might need etc.
    I will start off with some of the main things you will need. feel free to correct me and add details especially the peeps that are in Calgary already.I will start off with how my plan is.
    So

Hostels from what i am reading online there is 2 main ones.The Hi Calgary and The Wicked. Both seem get okay reviews. The one i am going with is the wicked hostel for the simply reason is it's a youth/travelers hostel and i feel this will be the hostel with the most people the same age to myself (20's)and a bit of craic to be had.Calgary is an oil city so i don't really want to be sharing a room with some 50 year old oil pig on his week off (no offence intended);)

SIN Number(social insurance number) allows you to work you should get this straight away as you wont be able to work or set up a bank account without it so do it asap.The address is Harry Hays Building, Suite 270220 4th Avenue Southeast Calgary. This does not make any sense to me either but i will post up an easier root when i get over there. all you need to get the SIN number is passport and proof of LOI.

Bank's there's so many to choose from. from my research the one that seems the best for newcomer is scotiabank they have a special program called The Scotiabank StartRight® Program. which has a lot of good features such as free banking etc. heres the link for a futher read--->http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID12961_LIDen,00.html good to get it set up straight away with online banking and link it up through currency fair for the cheapest rates.:D

Phone Where do you even start with this one there is so many different options it seems every network seems to have different deals but the one that is catching my eye is on the FIDO network its on a 30 day plan as opposed to a 2 or 3 year contract. Its 60$ a month which is not to bad and has a nice amount of data for fb and emails etc. Link
    >http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group3 you could buy an unlocked phone one on craigslist/ebay etc and just pop your FIDO sim into it i plan on buying one of the them Nexus 4 phones they seem to be the job:D

Where to Live i suppose it really depends on your taste around 17th avenue seems to be a good area a room can be got in a house share for 550-700 a month depending on the area and its not to far from downtown. Check out these areas. Bankview,,Mount Royal, Killarney and also Glengarry as i said it really depends on your taste and budget:D

That's what i plan on doing the first day i arrive all going well ( i will probably just ring around for a room). After you have this done i suppose its just start ringing around for jobs or take a gander down to the 17th avenue and have a pint or a red bull and just start meeting contacts etc i don't no how similar it is to nyc but every construction job i got there was through someone i got chatting to in an Irish pub the Irish really do look after there own or the majority i met did anyway.

Anyway feel free to add or correct me depending on how you feel:D and i know when i get over there (hopefully i will now:o) i will be more then happy to help anyone else out because it can be big deal for some travelling solo and there's safety in numbers:D and we should geta Calgary Boards Meet sorted espically in the summer.so that's about it i taught it would be a good idea to set up this thread as a lot of good information get's lost in the mega thread:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

You can go to any service Canada office to get your Sin sorted. Just bring your passport and have an address where you can have the card sent.
    You will be issued a number on the spot but takes the official card a couple of weeks to arrive.

Go to the a registry and get your Alberta health applied for as well.

Buy a.transit pass to make it cheap to get around the city to get your bearings.

You can only drive in Ab on your full Irish for there months so near that in mind .might be ashandy to do the test early on so you are not left stuck on your learners permit when you are dependent on driving after the 3 months

Bring lots of money and have a backup plan
    Change your resume to a Canadian format pm me if you want a look at mine it's geared towards IT but it will give you the idea.

Network like crazy join LinkedIn groups for Calgary or wherever in your chosen job. join discussions and stick your CV up there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Whats the deal re hostels. By that I mean you don't necessarily know how long you wanna stay. Obvs you'd book a night or two before you leave Ireland, but what if you want longer in the place, is it generally accepted to come down/in the day before and book another day/few days? I know depending on time etc hostels in Dublin book up uber fast ya see and they are what I am basing my experience on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Hostels from what i am reading online there is 2 main ones.The Hi Calgary and The Wicked. Both seem get okay reviews. The one i am going with is the wicked hostel for the simply reason is it's a youth/travelers hostel and i feel this will be the hostel with the most people the same age to myself (20's)and a bit of craic to be had.Calgary is an oil city so i don't really want to be sharing a room with some 50 year old oil pig on his week off (no offence intended);)

SIN Number(social insurance number) allows you to work you should get this straight away as you wont be able to work or set up a bank account without it so do it asap.The address is Harry Hays Building, Suite 270220 4th Avenue Southeast Calgary. This does not make any sense to me either but i will post up an easier root when i get over there. all you need to get the SIN number is passport and proof of LOI.

Phone Where do you even start with this one there is so many different options it seems every network seems to have different deals but the one that is catching my eye is on the FIDO network its on a 30 day plan as opposed to a 2 or 3 year contract. Its 60$ a month which is not to bad and has a nice amount of data for fb and emails etc. Link
    >http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group3 you could buy an unlocked phone one on craigslist/ebay etc and just pop your FIDO sim into it i plan on buying one of the them Nexus 4 phones they seem to be the job:D

Where to Live i suppose it really depends on your taste around 17th avenue seems to be a good area a room can be got in a house share for 550-700 a month depending on the area and its not to far from downtown. Check out these areas. Bankview,,Mount Royal, Killarney and also Glengarry as i said it really depends on your taste and budget:D

That's what i plan on doing the first day i arrive all going well ( i will probably just ring around for a room). After you have this done i suppose its just start ringing around for jobs or take a gander down to the 17th avenue and have a pint or a red bull and just start meeting contacts etc i don't no how similar it is to nyc but every construction job i got there was through someone i got chatting to in an Irish pub the Irish really do look after there own or the majority i met did anyway.

Anyway feel free to add or correct me depending on how you feel:D and i know when i get over there (hopefully i will now:o) i will be more then happy to help anyone else out because it can be big deal for some travelling solo and there's safety in numbers:D and we should geta Calgary Boards Meet sorted espically in the summer.so that's about it i taught it would be a good idea to set up this thread as a lot of good information get's lost in the mega thread:D

The Harry Hays building is a 10-15min stroll from Wicked Hostel. Don't worry theres a chance you'll be staying with a rigger, saw a few when I stayed there, good opportunity to get an insight into what its all about and maybe get pointed in the right direction.

Word up! Straight outta Bankview :D All the areas Ross listed are handy and safe etc.

Had 2 Irish lads in the pub for a pint this afternoon, just moved from Toronto and both in Construction. They said your best bet is get involved in the GAA clubs, these lads were joining the Calgary Chieftans GAA in the NE, your chances of getting a job through the boys there are the best, as you say the Irish look after each other.

I'm getting numbers off all the Irish that land in the bar I work, we'll try get everyone to the boards beers.
    hdowney wrote: »
    Whats the deal re hostels. By that I mean you don't necessarily know how long you wanna stay. Obvs you'd book a night or two before you leave Ireland, but what if you want longer in the place, is it generally accepted to come down/in the day before and book another day/few days? I know depending on time etc hostels in Dublin book up uber fast ya see and they are what I am basing my experience on

I booked a week, if they have a free bed you can extend your stay, if they don't your screwed. Its a tough one to call, but I'd say definatly book at least a week.

• Advertisement

If you don't look at least 40 get a Garda card before you come over, their b**tards for wanting ID and a Garda will be perfectly acceptable, infact alot of bouncers etc have complemented my gf on her cool id while I try talk my way in with no id, it tends to work because I work in a well known bar and have my responsible service of alcohol and door staff security IDs but otherwise I'd never get in anywhere. I also got served at a hockey game with no ID because I was Irish, positive discrimination at its best.

If you don't have an Irish licence get one before you come over, not driving here is a huge disadvantage for getting work and for using your free time. You will of course live with out it but I'm kicking myself I'm not on the road here.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

http://www.albertacanada.com/

Pretty basic info on it but I thought it would be helpful to anyone starting their calgary research.

And for the outdoorsy types - once settled I'm looking forward to getting into all the activities like canoeing and hiking. Working my way up to the glacier hikes.

www.calgaryoutdoorcentre.ca

Getting pretty excited at the thoughts of having the paperwork done and just getting over there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    If you don't have an Irish licence get one before you come over, not driving here is a huge disadvantage for getting work and for using your free time. You will of course live with out it but I'm kicking myself I'm not on the road here.

I have a licence but it's a provisional, would that do for ID I wonder? I might book a test to get my full licence here before I go, not sure atm.
    Also what must one do in order to achieve a full Canadian driving licence? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

WasterEx wrote: »
    I have a licence but it's a provisional, would that do for ID I wonder? I might book a test to get my full licence here before I go, not sure atm.
    Also what must one do in order to achieve a full Canadian driving licence? :)

They'll laugh at your Irish licence in most places.

You can get your drivers licence over here or even just an ID card, which looks the same but without any driving privileges. Both can be got in any registry. Marda Loop registry is open till 8 weekdays and 4 on weekends. The number 7 bus heading southbound go's right by it.

Stay at Wicked Hostel. Its got free computers, wifi, coffee and he even loads up a skype account so you can call landlines back home for free. Genuinely nice bloke. The other hostel is across the road from a homeless shelter and a needle exchange, wont give you the best first impression!

Boards meet up is an awesome idea

Tonto86 wrote: »
    They'll laugh at your licence in most places.

You can get your drivers licence over here or even just an ID card, which is the same but without any driving privileges. Both can be got in any registry. Marda Loop registry is open till 8 weekdays and 4 on weekends. The number 7 bus heading southbound go's right by it.

I thought if you brought in your Irish licence you could skip the year long provisional stage and go straight to do your test?

Also this ID card with no privaliges would be handy, is this registry at the postt office in Marda Loop and can I just go in and apply for an ID card, would be very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Your right, you can skip the whole learning process if you have a full Irish licence for a certain amount of time, maybe 2 years, not sure.

You would just have to sit the initial theory test gaining you a class 7 and then they will let you sit a pretty easy graduated driving test which will earn you a full class 5.

That registry is on 33rd av & 21st sw. If your on the bus get off just after it turns down beside the gym of 33rd av. Its right beside the 7eleven across the road. They're nice guys in there, its also a good place to do your driving test

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Your right, you can skip the whole learning process if you have a full Irish licence for a certain amount of time, maybe 2 years, not sure.

You would just have to sit the initial theory test gaining you a class 7 and then they will let you sit a pretty easy graduated driving test which will earn you a full class 5.

That registry is on 33rd av & 21st sw. If your on the bus get off just after it turns down beside the gym of 33rd av. Its right beside the 7eleven across the road. They're nice guys in there, its also a good place to do your driving test

Ah good man, yeh I'm up there a fair bit for the Safeway, cool I'll head up on my day off. Cheers.

The Harry Hays building is a 10-15min stroll from Wicked Hostel. Don't worry theres a chance you'll be staying with a rigger, saw a few when I stayed there, good opportunity to get an insight into what its all about and maybe get pointed in the right direction.

Word up! Straight outta Bankview :D All the areas Ross listed are handy and safe etc.

Had 2 Irish lads in the pub for a pint this afternoon, just moved from Toronto and both in Construction. They said your best bet is get involved in the GAA clubs, these lads were joining the Calgary Chieftans GAA in the NE, your chances of getting a job through the boys there are the best, as you say the Irish look after each other.

I'm getting numbers off all the Irish that land in the bar I work, we'll try get everyone to the boards beers.

I booked a week, if they have a free bed you can extend your stay, if they don't your screwed. Its a tough one to call, but I'd say definatly book at least a week.

Sound thanks for the advice :)
    If you don't look at least 40 get a Garda card before you come over, their b**tards for wanting ID and a Garda will be perfectly acceptable, infact alot of bouncers etc have complemented my gf on her cool id while I try talk my way in with no id, it tends to work because I work in a well known bar and have my responsible service of alcohol and door staff security IDs but otherwise I'd never get in anywhere. I also got served at a hockey game with no ID because I was Irish, positive discrimination at its best.

Mother of mercy my garda card looks NOTHING like me anymore I don't think. I got it when I was 18 so 10 year ago. I was thinner then (and I will be thinner than now and then when I get to Can) and blonde and stuff. Seriously barely looks the same person, apart from being battered ragged from being 10 year old!!! I think I'll just go in and get the id card over there asap

I don't have much interest in GAA neither. I could possibly get into it I suppose. I played Gfootball in primary school (so nearly 20 years ago :eek: but nothing since then. I played field hockey in secondary school so would have an interest in field/ice hockey. I can 'just about' skate but WANT to learn so much more for deffo and think I so will in Can :D I also like football and rugby to watch (have played a bit of footie but not rugby) and I like to swim.

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    oh i have even less then that:D

Outdoor for me Fishing,Shoting,Hawking,Hill-walking,etc:D

Any good places for a run or good gyms?:D.. would you be best to get clothes ere jacket wise etc?

What's hawking? Yea I'd take up fishing again if there were others around me into it - prolly wouldn't if it was just me mind! Never tried shooting, wouldn't be adverse to giving it a go though. Hill-walking. Weeel I dunno. I like nice scenery BUT... I HATE walking just for walking! If there is a purpose - getting from a2b like grand, or if I am walking with people and can have a conversation etc grand. Not a walk on my own just for the walking person at all!

Ah cool. That'd be something interesting to try :D

Unfortch yes it can be. There can be massive differences in price. Like next Jan being 2 1/2 grand to get to Toronto, but other times being in the 200s! Calgary is dearer again cos it is further. Just think how much Vancouver would be :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Vancouver seems to be very cheap with the average flight in April 363 may around 400 June then 350 with July and august then 450-550:D

Crikey!

yea so it seems to be one of the cheapest by far much cheaper to fly to there then Calgary or Edmonton anyway:(

• Advertisement

That's a bit suckish :( Wonder why Calgary is so much more expensive than the other places

not a clue it juts makes the effort of comeing home that much more expensive :D

Yea can't see coming home to often. Don't know how many folk will come visit me neither but we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

For those who may be interested in taking up snowboarding and are thinking of buying their own board and bindings (plenty available on kijiji or craigslist), this link might be useful if you dont know what to look out for:
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/snowboard.html

7ofBrian wrote: »
    For those who may be interested in taking up snowboarding and are thinking of buying their own board and bindings (plenty available on kijiji or craigslist), this link might be useful if you dont know what to look out for:
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/snowboard.html

Sound, gonna look through that for sure. Always wanted to snowboard. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

What are people doing/ have people done to get furniture? I've heard of a few sites where people give stuff away for free but how would you get the furniture to your apartment? (Table, chairs, desk, couch, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Remember when you are looking into flights to use skyscanner.net as it'll search all airlines and routes. The week I was looking for a weeks back was cheaper and faster to fly into France first and then Calgary.

the flights that only come up on skyscanner for me are with BA they are by far the cheapest with a stop in London heat row.. wasterex are you getting your own flat? or moving into a house share if its the second nearly everything is supplied maybe apart from a bed and they can be got cheap nuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

WasterEx wrote: »
    What are people doing/ have people done to get furniture? I've heard of a few sites where people give stuff away for free but how would you get the furniture to your apartment? (Table, chairs, desk, couch, etc.)

Ikea is your friend! Plus they deliver. You can kit out a whole apartment for about a months rent.

• Advertisement

7 o brian you in calgary?? if soo how you find it?? would one better to stock up on clothes in ireland or they cheaper or there? jackets winter gear etc?:D

Advertisement