Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary 2013 Chit/Chat/Travel Advice READ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LostOneHelpMe

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    i topped up the phone with 50euro of credit and started ringing its not to hard to do just get a list together and you will be grand:D:D

I dont have 50euro lol. The places I have been lookin are the likes of "simplyhired" "fort mc murray jobs" and "jobs bank canada" if you could PM a wee bit of advice to point me in the right direction for companies etc i'd be very grateful:D I've you tortured:p lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

jeez i could not to tha lad you are the person that will be competing for the same job as me;)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LostOneHelpMe

jeez i could not to tha lad you are the person that will be competing for the same job as me;)

I can see already your going to be trouble when we get to Canada;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 locoo

I was also considering Fort McMurray. I want long hours.

I just looked up hostels and there are none there. So does anybody know about getting cheap accommodation before arriving?

no hope of getting cheap accommodation anyway. look up kijji for information on a room share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

good man tonto i will stock up on a few bits in penny's for April but wont be buying a fortunes worth of clothes.. hoping construction working clothes aren't to expensive:D

Get your longjohns there! There madly expensive over here, $10 a pair, you get 3 for that in Pennys!

Construction gear aint too bad. You'll need a set of boots, cost you about $120 for a good pair in Marks Work Warehouse. Go to the one at the Chinook center, they're the best for work gear.

You could get a set of coveralls, they're good to have but not essential, cost about $100. Stay away from Carhartts, they're expensive but fall apart. The first 6 months I just wore old clothes, the company will provide your hard hat and hi-vis.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

anyone any recommendations as for what clothes to bring in April i no it will be cold enough will i need the terminals?:P and also is it cheaper to buy here before i go or wait till i get over there?:D
    Spring in Calgary is highly unpredictable! Then again so is summer, fall and winter:p Some of our biggest snowfalls occur in spring, but I've also seen +20C too. So I guess bring a bit of everything, winter gear, rain gear, and shorts.
    Price wise, you want to hit the end of season sales for the best deals. Wal-Mart is always cheap and Target will be oppening soon too.

Thanks mate i am going to bring a mixture :D i will aim more for the winter clothes:D:D and hopefully i will be alright:D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I was looking at accom, it is expensive but if you had a second person to go halves on rent you'd be sorted and you'd have an above average place to live, might try and work something out with someone once I get my visa or once i'm there.

aham aham aham hahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Was scouting around Skyscanner and saw flights from Dublin to London Heathrow then to Calgary for only €367 in total on the 16th April. That's with British Airways, they have a free baggage check-in up to 23kgs and a free food and bar service on-board as well. Pretty sweet deal! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

got my letter baby!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

media101 wrote: »
    got my letter baby!!

Which letter?

hdowney wrote: »
    Which letter?

my conditional acceptance letter :D i have 6 months to fill it out so im taking my time :)

my conditional acceptance letter :D i have 6 months to fill it out so im taking my time :)

You could give people a heart attack there thinking you meant you'd got your LOI already!! Congrats on the conditional acceptance. Yea if you are in no hurry take your time

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

flights booked for 12th march :):):) going on last years iec

Thursday 11th April 368euro:D have not booked yet but that seems a bargin:D

makita wrote: »
    flights booked for 12th march :):):) going on last years iec

where are u heading to? if u are heading to calgary i think the people in Calgary facebook page are setting up an event in a pub for st Patricks day ...

where are u heading to? if u are heading to calgary i think the people in Calgary facebook page are setting up an event in a pub for st Patricks day ...
    Yeah heading to Calgary, I'm already on that page thanks for letting me know anyway

makita keep us posted on how you finding it i should be heading a month after you:D

• Advertisement

makita
    are u heading on ur own?

makita keep us posted on how you finding it i should be heading a month after you:D
    Will so lad, keep us posted when you arrive as well and we'll organise a boards meet up

cheers lad will doo:D

makita
    are u heading on ur own?

yeah I am,well I have 2 friends working near Calgary and they come into the city at the weekends so it's not so bad, plus I'm going staying in a hostel for a week or so hopefully we'll get to know a few there

yea mate you will be a1 i am the same heading solo but your bound to meet others in the same boat from all parts of the world:D

The lois are slowly starting to be issued anyone take the book and book the flight yet?:D

The lois are slowly starting to be issued anyone take the book and book the flight yet?:D

You have heard of someone being issued an LOI from this years batch????!???!??!? I have only heard of people planning to head to Can shortly to activate their 2012 LOIs

yea that aliana girl got her loi yesterday hers and her husbands:D and i think someone else yes this years batch:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Hi all ,

Im flying to calgary on the 2nd of march on my own , im working in down town Calgary ,
    Anybody no of a room to rent or short term accomodation in calgary .

Cheers ,

T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

teepee wrote: »
    Hi all ,

Im flying to calgary on the 2nd of march on my own , im working in down town Calgary ,
    Anybody no of a room to rent or short term accomodation in calgary .

Cheers ,

T

Wicked hostels or HI hostels. 200 dollars a week.
    Hotel rooms are very expensive even for a 2 star hotel.

Advertisement