Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary 2013 Chit/Chat/Travel Advice READ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    The veterans don't get a look in?

Changed:cool:;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    So whos heading to calgary and when?:D...try get an owl boards meet going heres the list of peeps i no so far going:D..
    Martyn1989
    Tonto86
    Wasterex
    Mairemoo
    Gary27
    Kerbear86
    Teepee
    M.j.w
    Who else?:D

Myself and JenL are heading to Calgary. No date set in stone yet though. Just waiting on the P.O.E now :D

Martyn1989-Present
    Tonto86-Present
    Myself-April 16th
    Wasterex-April 16th
    Lostonehelpme-April 16th (Possibly)
    Mairemoo-Who No's:p
    Gary27-April
    Kerbear86-April
    Teepee-March
    M.j.w-May
    7ofbrian-?
    Jen L-?
    ManFromCheese-June
    Sully2010-June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

ill be hitting calgary end of june please god

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

If all goes well i'll be there start of June:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LostOneHelpMe

Could be in Calgary by the 16th of April....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

:)/ Not sure when tho

• Registered Users Posts: 31 tutts

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Myself and JenL are heading to Calgary. No date set in stone yet though. Just waiting on the P.O.E now :D

me and my fella going in may,any suggestions on whos doin the cheapest flights or is it airlingus?thanks;)

skyscanner.ie cheapest round mid april 366 one way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Martyn1989-Present
    Tonto86-Present
    Myself-April 16th
    Wasterex-April 16th
    Lostonehelpme-April 16th (Possibly)
    Mairemoo-Who No's:p
    Gary27-April
    Kerbear86-April
    Teepee-March
    M.j.w-May
    7ofbrian-?
    Jen L-?
    ManFromCheese-June
    Sully2010-June

im heading in october hopefully :D

• Advertisement

skyscanner.ie cheapest round mid april 366 one way:D

been checkn skyscanner alrite and nearly booked the flights online last nite via budgetair,when i went to punch in my card details my bank branch detected it to be a fraud site and stopped the payment goin thru....dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

gonna be a right sesh this summer chaps

ok can sumbod shed sum light for me on this.originally paid usit fees for canada 2013 programme but soon discovered it was a complete scam as u do the work urself so we went ahead,did our app ourselves,got our LOI and now booked the flights.then decided this morn that we had better get on to organising some travel insurance only to be told by all the usual companies,backpacker.ie,multitrip.ie and mapfre that none of these can provide travel ins for longer than a year.....i am aware from reading this thread and the iec megathread that alot of people hav gone wit backpackers but technically they are not insured for entire duration of visa.then im told upon ringing usit that they are the only ones who have set up an arrangement to cover visa holders that paid for their package for the two years and in no way possible will you be allowed enter into canada at immigration f u cannot provide evidence of cover for the 2 years.needless to say im a bit confused and pi***d off any PROPER/TRUTHFUL info appreciated...rant over

tutts wrote: »
    ok can sumbod shed sum light for me on this.originally paid usit fees for canada 2013 programme but soon discovered it was a complete scam as u do the work urself so we went ahead,did our app ourselves,got our LOI and now booked the flights.then decided this morn that we had better get on to organising some travel insurance only to be told by all the usual companies,backpacker.ie,multitrip.ie and mapfre that none of these can provide travel ins for longer than a year.....i am aware from reading this thread and the iec megathread that alot of people hav gone wit backpackers but technically they are not insured for entire duration of visa.then im told upon ringing usit that they are the only ones who have set up an arrangement to cover visa holders that paid for their package for the two years and in no way possible will you be allowed enter into canada at immigration f u cannot provide evidence of cover for the 2 years.needless to say im a bit confused and pi***d off any PROPER/TRUTHFUL info appreciated...rant over

USIT are talking shít out they backsides. Go onto backpackers and you'll see you CAN book for two years with them, and there are a couple other companies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

tutts wrote: »

http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

gary27 wrote: »

thanks gary27,u just saved my bacon!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

a foot of snow in calgary today , winters lasts 9 months here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

rusheen wrote: »
    a foot of snow in calgary today , winters lasts 9 months here :(
    Get yourself a Car2go, my manager rallied me home in one just there, their insane.

What is one of them Martyn?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Get yourself a Car2go, my manager rallied me home in one just there, their insane.

Sounds like a great idea. It's a way if renting a car. They have cars parked up in different places in Calgary (and other cities), you join up and get a members card, they'll tell u where your nearest car is, use your card to open the car- drive wherever, home or the shops and leave the car there. That's it.

https://www.car2go.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Can anyone give me some advice, I want to head to Calgary mid October but I'm worried about the temperature and will it be very difficult to look for jobs at that time of the year? I'm in web design/ online marketing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

JenL wrote: »
    Sounds like a great idea. It's a way if renting a car. They have cars parked up in different places in Calgary (and other cities), you join up and get a members card, they'll tell u where your nearest car is, use your card to open the car- drive wherever, home or the shops and leave the car there. That's it.

https://www.car2go.com

It was my first time in one, there just little smart cars but theres a fair bit of power in them for something so small, we were flying up icey hills and stuff

haha 1 foot of snow lately?:D

whats the must buys to bring to Calgary?:D anything i should be getting now that would cost a bomb over there?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

whats the must buys to bring to Calgary?:D anything i should be getting now that would cost a bomb over there?:D

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056894705?page=1#post_83527704

Hi Ross, have a look at that thread - has a few useful bits. Hopefully anyone who has been over might add to it. I'll be having a look at the outdoor stores and department stores that are in Calgary online to see if it makes sense to buy here and bring with me/ship over, or if its better to buy there.

Brilliant thanks Jen L:D

For anyone looking for a start on the oil rigs have a gawk here and see the daily life of an oil rig pig:p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dnqfYDstA
    I actually cant wait:D

For anyone looking for a start on the oil rigs have a gawk here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-dnqfYDstA
    I actually cant wait:D

Do you need much in the way of qualifications or the like to work on the rigs?

no just be able to work like a dog 12 hours a day 14 days in a row and work in up to -40 and your good to go:) with a good head on your shoulders most do be making 250K by year 4

• Advertisement

no just be able to work like a dog 12 hours a day 14 days in a row and work in up to -40 and your good to go:) with a good head on your shoulders most do be making 250K by year 4

deadly. any links to websites?

Advertisement