Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary 2013 Chit/Chat/Travel Advice READ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

No I'd no job coming another fella in the hostel I was talking to said his boss was crying out for carpenters so he rang him and I was just told turn up Friday so happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

makita wrote: »
    No I'd no job coming another fella in the hostel I was talking to said his boss was crying out for carpenters so he rang him and I was just told turn up Friday so happy days

Thats great so plenty of construction jobs going there you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

sully2010 wrote: »

Thats great so plenty of construction jobs going there you think?
    Yeah there seems to be everyone I was talking to had no trouble getting them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

First impressions after arriving last night. Calgary is its a great city with friendly people, it isn't near as cold as what I was expecting was walking around in a t shirt all day today but it's ment to get cold for the next few days. I got my sin first thing this morning which is only a few mins walk from hi hostel, and went with cibc bank who were most pleasent, they give you the ATM card there and then set up my Internet banking as well. I'm still searching to see who is the best mobile network, they seem dear enough so far(also you must pay for incoming calls) so that's 1 to watch out for on deals. Jobs are plentiful here starting a job Friday morning after getting a few tools tomorrow. One last thing is speak slower or they won't have a clue what your saying had a few look at me today as if I had 2 heads.
    Congrats on getting a job so quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

He said a carpenter:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

First impressions after arriving last night. Calgary is its a great city with friendly people, it isn't near as cold as what I was expecting was walking around in a t shirt all day today but it's ment to get cold for the next few days. I got my sin first thing this morning which is only a few mins walk from hi hostel, and went with cibc bank who were most pleasent, they give you the ATM card there and then set up my Internet banking as well. I'm still searching to see who is the best mobile network, they seem dear enough so far(also you must pay for incoming calls) so that's 1 to watch out for on deals. Jobs are plentiful here starting a job Friday morning after getting a few tools tomorrow. One last thing is speak slower or they won't have a clue what your saying had a few look at me today as if I had 2 heads.

Its a bit bizarre being treated nicely in a bank alright! People over here are real friendly tho. Welcome to Calgary bro, if ya need anything just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

how is easy is it to get an electrical job in Calgary for an Irish sparks does anyone know? pay good?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 desserdub

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    how is easy is it to get an electrical job in Calgary for an Irish sparks does anyone know? pay good?

Im a sparks heading out there in Easter with a job.You have to get assessted for you trade which takes awhile.I will be working out of calgary most of the time though.Very good money but long hours if your into that.Dont know if you can just fly over and get work over there.maybe some firm would take you on a reduced rate as sparks.I have to sit an exam within 180 days for a journeyman licence and then i can work anywhere.

Wasnt he supposed to be booked on a flight to Canada in April with some people from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

those people who booked flights with somebody they met on a foruma nd didnt know in person was quite a silly move also, people surely arent that insecure that they couldnt go and do their own thing anyway!!!

Moving to a different country on your own is a big move. I think people arranged to go together because of the cheap flight offered on the one day and possible friends, roommates or connections in a strange city. There's nothing insecure about it. It's a practical thing to do, to travel or set up with people in a similar situation. It's not their fault that one off the group wasn't totally honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Moving to a different country on your own is a big move. I think people arranged to go together because of the cheap flight offered on the one day and possible friends, roommates or connections in a strange city. There's nothing insecure about it. It's a practical thing to do, to travel or set up with people in a similar situation. It's not their fault that one off the group wasn't totally honest.

my point being, its very naive to take somebodys word for it that you only know from a forum, as you said, it is a big move so why put your trust in somebody you dont know at all and when travelling with somebody, ye mightnt like eachother or get on, its just a very strange thing to do is all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Folks, PM one another if ye wish to continue this discussion, this is not the place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** several posts removed. If you suspect a user of being a re-reg of a banned account or otherwise violating the Terms of Use, please report them, do not speculate in public. ***

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Phoenix wrote: »
    Where you all living in Calgary?im not heading till the start of August but will be in the NE

no idea yet, need to have a look when over there, you got something already set up or aiming to live in the NE?

Place already organised

how much rent will you be paying?

I'm staying at a friends so i'm lucky in that regard,im not paying rent just paying for share food/bills

lucky you:D having that not on your expenses does free up a few bit of money.

• Advertisement

What the hell happened justross? He was on here every waking minute and then gone like a flash..
    and now mods deleting posts about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

gary27 wrote: »
    no idea yet, need to have a look when over there, you got something already set up or aiming to live in the NE?

The NE generally is'nt a great area .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Where you all living in Calgary?im not heading till the start of August but will be in the NE

Some great places available in the NW, close to the university area. Wouldn't really recommend the NE, fairly dodgy in some parts. I never really had a problem when working in the NE but some work colleagues warned me when I mentioned possibly moving closer to work.
    Otherwise some good apartments along the Beltline just south of downtown, handy if you want be close to the more lively parts of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I'm on my third and final interview for a job in Calgary! FINGERS CROSSED

I'm beginning to have a mini freak out thinking arghhhhh I'm doing this on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

My OH and I are moving in 8 weeks. So nervous/excited :) We have friends living in NW near downtown so my OH is adamant that we try for something around that area. Just wondering what the situation is with renting with regard to references, deposits etc, decent availability etc? I am starting my job at the university the last week of June so hoping to have accommodation sorted by then. Herself is a food scientist with a lot of experience, no job yet but two interviews in the next few weeks so here's hoping something comes up.

cuana wrote: »
    I'm on my third and final interview for a job in Calgary! FINGERS CROSSED

I'm beginning to have a mini freak out thinking arghhhhh I'm doing this on my own

What type of work are you getting interviewed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

sully2010 wrote: »
    What type of work are you getting interviewed for?

Retail Management/Operations :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barryslydon

Hi All,
    Anyone looking for a room in Calgary in May? A friend and I are looking at a 3 bedroom house in Coventry hills on May 10th. The house is $2300 a month all utilities included (except phone cable and internet) so around $766 pp.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can give you more info.

• Advertisement

Hi All,
    Anyone looking for a room in Calgary in May? A friend and I are looking at a 3 bedroom house in Coventry hills on May 10th. The house is $2300 a month all utilities included (except phone cable and internet) so around $766 pp.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can give you more info.

Damn €2300 is a lot that far out of the city, your pretty much on the north limits. Houses are nice up there tho

Advertisement