Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary 2013 Chit/Chat/Travel Advice READ

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barryslydon

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Damn €2300 is a lot that far out of the city, your pretty much on the north limits. Houses are nice up there tho

Yeah it's about 25 mins from downtown, prices work out grand if the house is full. A house is really the only option for me as I'm bringing my dog with me. Having a nightmare trying to find places that are not scams :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** Two posts removed for ToU violation- do not speculate on other posters' identities. Infractions will follow if this continues ****

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Phillybyrne

Is it hard to find shared accom in calgary coz im heading over alone and would want to forkout major money living alone yano

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Handy enough i would imagine:D

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Handy enough i would imagine:D

Ha yeah just from chatting with people on this theres loads going alone so we get a big group together and hav a session gaf hahha :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 elflass

Hi folks

For those of you who brought your dog can I ask how you managed after picking your dog up fpr e.g. getting them into the city (do taxis welcome them? Or best go by bus?) and any recommendations for a temporary kennel while we're house hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barryslydon

elflass wrote: »
    Hi folks

For those of you who brought your dog can I ask how you managed after picking your dog up fpr e.g. getting them into the city (do taxis welcome them? Or best go by bus?) and any recommendations for a temporary kennel while we're house hunting?

I had a really hard time finding a place that would allow a dog, small dogs are ok in most places but I have a husky so I was screwed. I had to rent a 3 bed house to myself for the first month. My dog is flying in with West jet now at the end of the month, gonna rent a car and collect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

I had a really hard time finding a place that would allow a dog, small dogs are ok in most places but I have a husky so I was screwed. I had to rent a 3 bed house to myself for the first month. My dog is flying in with West jet now at the end of the month, gonna rent a car and collect him.

Totally off topic but that is the cutest thing I have heard on these Canada threads!! He's flying in the end of the month! lol!

Sorry moderator - will not deviate again!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kazoo2001

Hi
    I'm heading on my own too in June Flights booked yippee!
    Looking to house share too, i've been checking out easyroommate.com and rentfaster.ca.
    Maybe take a look see whats out there.
    Best of Luck!!

kazoo2001 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm heading on my own too in June Flights booked yippee!
    Looking to house share too, i've been checking out easyroommate.com and rentfaster.ca.
    Maybe take a look see whats out there.
    Best of Luck!!

Whats up man what route you flying? Im flying the chicago route at the end of august :D

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Flying Dublin frankfurt and then direct to Calgary,
    It was a good price and a reasonable amount in the air, some flights were crazy lengths!
    Hows the research going?
    I'm starting into overload of info at this stage! lol

Hi,
    Flying Dublin frankfurt and then direct to Calgary,
    It was a good price and a reasonable amount in the air, some flights were crazy lengths!
    Hows the research going?
    I'm starting into overload of info at this stage! lol

Yeah that flight sounds good :) wish i went for that :( seen as im flying to the US i have to get an esta clearence :( i only booked my flights yesterday so not sure if i can get a refund coz the US route is a lot of effort hah iv just been looking up sharred accom found some nice places in NE of the city good prices too :) ill be staying in the wicked hostel for the first week then gonna start looking for work and some where to live as soon as i get to the hostel!

OMG only booked mine last night too! ha
    also have Wicked Hostel booked ..... well waiting on the confirmation from them, they appear to be pretty laid back in responding!

There is a guy i know from Calgary, hes often in Ireland for business, he said the NE is a less desirable area to live in though cheaper, he kinda put me off looking there especially as i'm going on my own!
    Something to think about....

Yeah i heard that aswell but id live anywherw to start with haha im hgoing alone aswell but sure ill meet other people that have went alone once i get to the hostel :) what size room you book? I booked 8 sharred :D

I'm keen to meet others out there too thats why i picked a hostel...but not so keen as to share with 8 others, got a room for myself i'm fierce shy ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

Yeah that flight sounds good :) wish i went for that :( seen as im flying to the US i have to get an esta clearence :( i only booked my flights yesterday so not sure if i can get a refund coz the US route is a lot of effort hah iv just been looking up sharred accom found some nice places in NE of the city good prices too :) ill be staying in the wicked hostel for the first week then gonna start looking for work and some where to live as soon as i get to the hostel!

There's no real hassle going through the US. I presume you're flying with Aer Lingus through Chicago? All that happens for the US preclearance is basically a second walk through a security checkpoint in Dublin Airport. I can't remember the order but before or after this you give your declaration card and they'll ask you why you're travelling to the States. Just tell them you're connecting to Calgary. They were quite friendly when I went through in January when I was going back and all in all probably took about an extra 20 minutes.

As for the ESTA its basically filling out a form online and paying 14 euro for three years access. You'll need to get this if you fly from Canada into the States too, and with great cities to visit such as Seattle and Las Vegas a short flight away you'll more than likely will go there.

Think about it. 14 euro and 20 minutes to save you a few bob on flights. Don't be deterred, there's a lot of overworried people on this forum.

I'm keen to meet others out there too thats why i picked a hostel...but not so keen as to share with 8 others, got a room for myself i'm fierce shy ha!

Ha ya be grand :) just keep talking to everyone in the hostel and ya be grand :) any hoildays iv been on with mates we always stay in hostels and we loved them always meet interesting people

Mossyman wrote: »
    There's no real hassle going through the US. I presume you're flying with Aer Lingus through Chicago? All that happens for the US preclearance is basically a second walk through a security checkpoint in Dublin Airport. I can't remember the order but before or after this you give your declaration card and they'll ask you why you're travelling to the States. Just tell them you're connecting to Calgary. They were quite friendly when I went through in January when I was going back and all in all probably took about an extra 20 minutes.

As for the ESTA its basically filling out a form online and paying 14 euro for three years access. You'll need to get this if you fly from Canada into the States too, and with great cities to visit such as Seattle and Las Vegas a short flight away you'll more than likely will go there.

Think about it. 14 euro and 20 minutes to save you a few bob on flights. Don't be deterred, there's a lot of overworried people on this forum.

Cheer bud the only reason i was a bit raging over it was coz one me mates told me US customs where a nightmare ha and as for the esta form when they ask you wer you be staring once in the US on the form what adress will i put in??, the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

It was simple for me, I just put in my Canadian address. I suppose you could put in the address of the hostel you said you're staying in previously since that's where you'll be. If anyone else wants to suggest it below I suppose they can but that's what I probably would do. But its really up to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elflass

Hi all, For anyone who was working for first part of this year in Ireland and sent off the form P50 to get your tax back, were you required to wait 4 weeks after you finish date before you could sent it off? I understand there is a waiting period if you are unemployed but it's ambiguous re emigrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

Anyone in Calgary, could you answer a question for me??

I saw someone mention this before in another thread about how most house/apartment leases usually begin on the 1st of a month (unlike ireland where you seem to be able to move in whenever the hell you want!), is this the case??

Myself and my boyfriend are just trying to decide whether to move over at the start of August, or wait till the middle of the month so we're not staying in a hostel for a month waiting for a lease. Cheers!

Advertisement