Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese New Year.

Options
  • 09-02-2013 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else doing anything for Chinese New Year tomorrow?

We'll be having an all day open house party with lots of food throughout the day.

We have:

2 Ducks, spiced and slow roasted ready to crisp up, shred and serve with plum chutney in pancakes.
    1 Kg of marinating flank steak for beef with green pepper and black bean sauce (homemade;))with ribbon noodles.
    1 whole turbot to bake with soy, ginger and spring onion.
    1 Kg of Tiger prawns for various stir frys
    1 1/2 boned turkey legs for various stirfrys.
    1 squid body - probably flash fry with chili and lime.
    Loads of Lo mai gai (homemade).
    Tofu.
    Pot of reduced duck, chicken and turkey stock.

Pak Choi, Chinese leaves, peppers, chestnut mushrooms, bean sprouts, onions, shallots, spring onions, ginger, chillies, coconut milk.

Mrs Beer will be busy but she will have a helper (who has done most of the prepping;))

I do hope we have enough food:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Anyone else doing anything for Chinese New Year tomorrow?

No, but I have a sudden urge to go to Cork and crash your party! Your food sounds amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

Sounds fabulous, I am in Cork too so let me know where to pop round to!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made delicious duck legs in the slower cooker for dinner last night. I'd marinated them overnight in soy sauce and five spice and cooked them for 8 hours. Had it with a little hoisin sauce and carrot and pea fried rice. It was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Loads of Lo mai gai (homemade).

I want some!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Crap I forgot the spring onions and the mushrooms. Crap of crappity craps! And I am skint so no hope of buying them. I am doing a basic Chicken Thai Green Curry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lots of prepping done:

Turkey leg all sliced up, as is the beef.
    Rakes of garlic chopped, ginger julienned, chillies sliced.
    Spring onions, Thai shallots chopped and the rest of the veg washed and chopped.

Sakitini made - Sake, Gin, Lychee liqueur, Vermouth to be served with a frozen lychee in syrup.

Now just need people to arrive hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm hungry, courier some up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Any left-overs :D:D

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Any left-overs :D:D

Yup, had the last of the crispy duck pancakes last night!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

where can you get fortune cookies?

• Advertisement

Any Asian shop should have them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I made some dumplings as my little nod. Officially they were Japanese "gyoza", but I feel dumplings is dumplings :D Recipe was posted by a Boardsie in the asian supermarket thread.

I filled spring roll wrappers with a concoction of pork mince, Chinese cabbage, onion and garlic stalks. They were then steamed, followed by a quick frying for a crunchy base. The flavour from the stalks was really delicious. Got all the ingredients in the Asia Market.

Advertisement