Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you celebrate winning an easy league?

• 09-02-2013 6:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the SPL table, Celtic are 18 points ahead. Would you seriously celebrate winning that league if you were a fan of Celtic? Show up for 30+ games a year and you win it, it would just be very hollow for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Yes but a more tense league is so much more satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep, first time playing FIFA I had it on an easy enough setting while I got used to the controls....celebrated the f*ck out of winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Don't think I could even support a team that won the league so easily every year. Where is the fun in that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Don't think I could even support a team that won the league so easily every year. Where is the fun in that?

That was the point i was trying to make. There would just be no satisfaction in winning it i would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The Celtic fans don't really have a choice. Your club is your club, fun or not.

Hmm always surviving relegation being a mediocre team or winning the league easy every few years.

Jeez that is a tough one. Let me think about it actually hmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Hmm always surviving relegation being a mediocre team or winning the league easy every few years.

Id honestly rather be a Wigan fan than a Celtic fan.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Even if it was an easy league Leeds would somehow manage to make it difficult for themselves, so the issue would never arise.

Celtic attendances are well down this year, by up to 20-25% afaik.

The fans know the league is gauranteed the next 2/3 years at least, and only the champions league games are sell outs.

They need a strong Rangers for the sake of the league.

If anything their attendances will probably be worse next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Where's the excitement or the nervousness though? Expecting your team to win every game must be a very bland feeling indeed. It's winning by default. Don't want to sound anti-Celtic, but that's the reality of it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's not Celtics fault, they can only beat what's put in front of them, and that's mainly crap

Corholio wrote: »

Where's the excitement or the nervousness though? Expecting your team to win every game must be a very bland feeling indeed. It's winning by default. Don't want to sound anti-Celtic, but that's the reality of it IMO.

But this has only happened this year cause of Rangers not around. It's not like it's been like this for past 100 years.

I would give a hell of a lot just to see Hibs win a league easily in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You might want to ask this question in the Man Utd thread the way Man City are going at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Celtic attendances are well down this year, by up to 20-25% afaik.

The fans know the league is gauranteed the next 2/3 years at least, and only the champions league games are sell outs.

They need a strong Rangers for the sake of the league.

If anything their attendances will probably be worse next year.

They don't need a strong Rangers. They just need to ensure that they play at least CL Group Stage football every season. Celtic have earned more than 30 million this season so far due to the CL. Whether Rangers are in the SPL or not, the rivalry with them does not provide anything like that sort of revenue. When Rangers eventually make it to the SPL, the league title will become more competitive. There are advantages to that but there are disadvantages also, because sometimes the new Rangers may win the league and then they'll get the CL spot. Although if Celtic maintain a strong presence in the CL over a number of years, then there maybe 2 places for SPL teams in the CL, and without too many pre-qualifying games as well.

As regards no buzz winning the domestic league, again it doesn't matter so long as Euro performances are good. The plan for Celtic would be to have two teams, one for Europe and another for the SPL with an overlap between the two. A bit like today when the beat Inverness with a largely second string side.

Of course a proper Euro league or an amalgamation of leagues from different countries into regional league competitions would be another option for big clubs like Celtic that play in small peripheral leagues.

Lennonist wrote: »
    They don't need a strong Rangers. They just need to ensure that they play at least CL Group Stage football every season. Celtic have earned more than 30 million this season so far due to the CL. Whether Rangers are in the SPL or not, the rivalry with them does not provide anything like that sort of revenue. When Rangers eventually make it to the SPL, the league title will become more competitive. There are advantages to that but there are disadvantages also, because sometimes the new Rangers may win the league and then they'll get the CL spot. Although if Celtic maintain a strong presence in the CL over a number of years, then there maybe 2 places for SPL teams in the CL, and without too many pre-qualifying games as well.

As regards no buzz winning the domestic league, again it doesn't matter so long as Euro performances are good. The plan for Celtic would be to have two teams, one for Europe and another for the SPL with an overlap between the two. A bit like today when the beat Inverness with a largely second string side.

Of course a proper Euro league or an amalgamation of leagues from different countries into regional league competitions would be another option for big clubs like Celtic that play in small peripheral leagues.

Easier said than done though.

Get knocked out in the qualifiers and there would be quite a big loss for the club I'd imagine.

As for the Euro league, that's only a pipe dream.

Easier said than done though.

Get knocked out in the qualifiers and there would be quite a big loss for the club I'd imagine.

It would, but after a few seasons being ever present in the of CL Group Stage they will no longer have to pre-qualify. Getting to that point is the key.
    As for the Euro league, that's only a pipe dream.

I think there will be movement of some kind in the next few years, maybe starting with regional leagues where top clubs from different smaller leagues amalgamate. Major clubs with a strong tradition and pedigree like Ajax, PSV, some of the Belgian or big Portuguese clubs and even French clubs have similar issues that confront Celtic, re little competition and excitement at domestic level. Once there is movement on amalgamation of leagues like that on a regional basis, then the Euro league will become inevitable. I think the Euro league will become inevitable anyway, sooner or later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Yeah this has been the worst season ever as a Celtic fan. If only we could lose more games, especially in Europe.

Worst thread I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

armchair fannery at its finest.

You support your team because they're your team, every trophy is celebrated, regardless of how it's won.

It would, but after a few seasons being ever present in the of CL Group Stage they will no longer have to pre-qualify. Getting to that point is the key.

I think there will be movement of some kind in the next few years, maybe starting with regional leagues where top clubs from different smaller leagues amalgamate. Major clubs with a strong tradition and pedigree like Ajax, PSV, some of the Belgian or big Portuguese clubs and even French clubs have similar issues that confront Celtic, re little competition and excitement at domestic level. Once there is movement on amalgamation of leagues like that on a regional basis, then the Euro league will become inevitable. I think the Euro league will become inevitable anyway, sooner or later.

How many qualifiers next season as a matter of interest?

And how far are Celtic off qualifying automatically for the group stages? It doesn't help when they are really the only Scottish team pitching it for the coeifficent points

• Advertisement

How many qualifiers next season as a matter of interest?

And how far are Celtic off qualifying automatically for the group stages? It doesn't help when they are really the only Scottish team pitching it for the coeifficent points

They start in the second qualifying round along with the Irish champions. There are two qualifying rounds after that one: the 3rd and then the play-off round.

Just noticed who made the thread. Makes sense lol

They start in the second qualifying round along with the Irish champions. There are two qualifying rounds after that one: the 3rd and then the play-off round.

This season Celtic negotiated TWO qualifying rounds, I doubt they will have to play an extra qualifying round next season.

Seems to be a general lack of knowledge about soccer outwith the EPL on these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

This season Celtic negotiated TWO qualifying rounds, I doubt they will have to play an extra qualifying round next season.

Seems to be a general lack of knowledge about soccer outwith the EPL on these threads.

Celtic will have to contend three qualifying rounds next season mate because of the coefficient, it's a fact.

The only way to avoid it is to win the Champions League, and well, that won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Could I celebrate it? Yes, of course.
    Would it be as pleasing/rewarding as a tough season-long battle with one or more other teams? No, of course not.

Yeah I think Scotland dropped down one place due to Celtic and old Rangers doing crap in the CL over the previous 3 years.

Prefer it as a fan tbh, more CL nights and earlier in the season. We will be in the Champions pot so unless we get really unlucky in the draw (which we often do..) we should qualify fairly comfortably.

The SPL will LOSE coefficient points starting next season, which drops the league further down the rankings meaning they have to go through an extra round. They will be ranked 26th from next season IIRC. Doubt all you want.

The SPL will LOSE coefficient points starting next season, which drops the league further down the rankings meaning they have to go through an extra round. They will be ranked 26th from next season IIRC. Doubt all you want.
    It already did lose co-eff points, nothing to do with Rangers' extinction.

Speaking of which, with games in hand taken as wins the gap in the Scottish Third Division is larger, but like I said we can see who the OP is

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Celtic will have to contend three qualifying rounds next season mate because of the coefficient, it's a fact.

The only way to avoid it is to win the Champions League, and well, that won't happen.

Ya never know. Feels like "London Calling" all season so far;).

• Advertisement

Appears you're right about that, Scottish clubs including Celtic have had a poor run of form in Europe lately up 'til Celtic this season. Anyway if Celtic can qualify again for the CL Group Stages again, then the accumulation of good results in the CL will see the trend heading the other way towards less qualifying rounds, and hopefully automatic qualification in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yes there does;)

CSF wrote: »
    Yes there does;)

Who do you support?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Melion wrote: »
    Just looking at the SPL table, Celtic are 18 points ahead. Would you seriously celebrate winning that league if you were a fan of Celtic? Show up for 30+ games a year and you win it, it would just be very hollow for me.

So if Celtic scraped the league by winning on goal difference ahead of Inverness on the last day of the season presumably you would regard that as being an achievement more worthy of celebration?

With Southampton winning 3-1 against City right now, it looks like the EPL race is over this season already. I wonder will Man U fans celebrate seeing as it will be incredibly easy for their team this season?

With Southampton winning 3-1 against City right now, it looks like the EPL race is over this season already. I wonder will Man U fans celebrate seeing as it will be incredibly easy for their team this season?
    When English teams demolish the opposition it's a statement of how amazing the team is didn't you know :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm sure Bayern and Barca fans won't mind cruising to their respective titles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

It already did lose co-eff points, nothing to do with Rangers' extinction.

Speaking of which, with games in hand taken as wins the gap in the Scottish Third Division is larger, but like I said we can see who the OP is

He isn't a bear as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who do you support?
    Shelbourne. Villa kind of too.

He isn't a bear as far as I know
    I know, but he frequently posts anti-Celtic tripe. Check his posting history if you'd like some inspiration :P I seem to remember his reaction to us beating Barca was to criticise us for not hammering every SPL team :rolleyes:

I know, but he frequently posts anti-Celtic tripe. Check his posting history if you'd like some inspiration :P I seem to remember his reaction to us beating Barca was to criticise us for not hammering every SPL team :rolleyes:

Oh I don;t need any inspiration I have years and years of stuff in my head :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This thread is a poor attempt at a wind up. If it is not meant to be a wind up, it is just a poor thread with a poor comprehension of what it means to support your team.

This thread is a poor attempt at a wind up. If it is not meant to be a wind up, it is just a poor thread with a poor comprehension of what it means to support your team.

This I agree totally with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Next season there is only 1 Champions League spot for Scotland and that is the champions starting in the 2nd qualifying round, the same round as Sligo

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2013.html

CSF wrote: »
    Shelbourne. Villa kind of too.

Ah. Did you go by the name "Goulding" on the Beeb 606 forums years ago by any chance? You appear to have a bit of a fixation against Celtic don't ya?

It is clearly the former. As I said, there are leagues with larger gaps at the top than the SPL but Melon likes talking about us.
    Ah. Did you go by the name "Goulding" on the Beeb 606 forums years ago by any chance? You appear to have a bit of a fixation against Celtic don't ya?
    Just another LOI fan with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Next season there is only 1 Champions League spot for Scotland and that is the champions starting in the 2nd qualifying round, the same round as Sligo

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/access2013.html

We wont be playing Sligo, they are a champion team as well. It would be cool to play against Sligo in the CL though, Celtic were founded by a Sligo man.

We wont be playing Sligo, they are a champion team as well. It would be cool to play against Sligo in the CL though, Celtic were founded by a Sligo man.

Champions play champions and those non champions play non champions so depending on seedings Celtic could play Sligo

Champions play champions and those non champions play non champions so depending on seedings Celtic could play Sligo

Now I'm really confused, anyway a CL qualifier tie v Sligo in the end of July or august would be cool for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Chelsea had no trouble celebrating when they strolled home in 2005, winning by 12 points after only losing one game all season, having spent just under £100m compared to 2nd place Arsenal who only spent money on Almunia and Flamini on a compensation payment.

1st and 2nd rounds are all champions

3rd and playoff round is spilt in two champions path and non champions path

So this means 5 champions from smaller countries have a chance to get into the group stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement