Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you celebrate winning an easy league?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Melion wrote: »
    Just looking at the SPL table, Celtic are 18 points ahead. Would you seriously celebrate winning that league if you were a fan of Celtic? Show up for 30+ games a year and you win it, it would just be very hollow for me.

Interesting question. Any Celtic fan I know will celebrate it, as will I. And next season. And the season after that. ;) I'd like a stronger league, there's no denying that, but to suggest that a fan would not celebrate winning their league is to suggest that some people who claim to be fans are not really fans.

I'd watch Celtic no matter who they are playing, in any competition at any stage. Enjoyed the last friendly in Dublin v Bohs, and that Super Cup thing. I was out for the ICT match earlier, still recorded it, avoided the radio all afternoon and watched it from start to finish. Why wouldn't a fan do that? Would love to be able to head across more, and hopefully I will when time and money are not so much of an issue (bloody kids).

Man Utd could be 12 points clear tomorrow by the way. Should Man Utd fans not bother celebrating their league?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Lennonist wrote: »
    Now I'm really confused, anyway a CL qualifier tie v Sligo in the end of July or august would be cool for all concerned.
    He's right. I know that makes it sound as if it's harder but it's actually not since, in spite of what some numpties in here might tell you, we're actually miles better than most of the other leagues in the Champions pot.

Basically we play the 1st place team from Turkmanislav rather than the 3rd place team from England or Spain or whatever.

Being in the 2nd or 3rd round of the qualifiers really makes little difference to us as they are all winnable games.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

This thread is a poor attempt at a wind up. If it is not meant to be a wind up, it is just a poor thread with a poor comprehension of what it means to support your team.

+1000000

Imagine how smalltime your club must be if you'd rather get smashed off good teams than beat shíte ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

He's right. I know that makes it sound as if it's harder but it's actually not since, in spite of what some numpties in here might tell you, we're actually miles better than most of the other leagues in the Champions pot.

Basically we play the 1st place team from Turkmanislav rather than the 3rd place team from England or Spain or whatever.

Being in the 2nd or 3rd round of the qualifiers really makes little difference to us as they are all winnable games.

Aww I get it, I already knew it, just forgot. Yes Celtic will be in the "champions" stream along with Sligo, so can draw them then.

A tie v Sligo would be good wouldn't it? Walfrid, Sean Fallon recently RIP, Willie McStay managed Sligo for a spell. Huge connection between Celtic and Sligo.

A tie v Sligo would be good wouldn't it? Walfrid, Sean Fallon recently RIP, Willie McStay managed Sligo for a spell. Huge connection between Celtic and Sligo.

You know, I think that pretty much answers the OP's question. That's what it's all about, enjoying the games against top sides or minnows, enjoying the history, enjoying the links with other teams and places etc.. There's more to football than points and league positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah. Did you go by the name "Goulding" on the Beeb 606 forums years ago by any chance? You appear to have a bit of a fixation against Celtic don't ya?
    Nope, didn't know that forum even existed. Fixation against Celtic? I don't like Celtic but I doubt I've even mentioned them online in months.

Can you imagine the wave of bitter resentment from LOI fans that would follow the huge demand for tickets though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Aww I get it, I already knew it, just forgot. Yes Celtic will be in the "champions" stream along with Sligo, so can draw them then.

Can't think of anything more exciting than seeing hundreds of locals cheering on Celtic over the team that represents their County nationally and internationally.

I would rather go to Georgia or Hungary, better chance or progressing too.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine the wave of bitter resentment from LOI fans that would follow the huge demand for tickets though :eek:
    Sligo will sell out their home leg no matter who they're up against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I would celebrate it but it would definitely take the gloss off winning it. Also Liverpool won the title 4 years on the trot with a double digit win each year I think my interest/support/enthusiasm would lessen a bit.

CSF wrote: »
    Nope, didn't know that forum even existed. Fixation against Celtic? I don't like Celtic but I doubt I've even mentioned them online in months.

Any reason why you don't like Celtic, would you like to elaborate on that?

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Can't think of anything more exciting than seeing hundreds of locals cheering on Celtic over the team that represents their County nationally and internationally.

I would rather go to Georgia or Hungary, better chance or progressing too.

Which team do you support? I'd say a lot of Sligo people would relish a CL qualifier tie v Celtic, given the strong connections between Celtic and Sligo. Sligo would want to win of course, but the vibe would be great I'd say.

Which team do you support? I'd say a lot of Sligo people would relish a CL qualifier tie v Celtic, given the strong connections between Celtic and Sligo. Sligo would want to win of course, but the vibe would be great I'd say.
    I think the real question is, would Celtic fans celebrate beating them?!

Any reason why you don't like Celtic, would you like to elaborate on that?
    Don't like loads of teams, with Celtic, I never really enjoyed how I was expected to care when Celtic played Rangers etc. I also know far too many Celtic fans who I'd consider to be eejits and in the same way that I don't like West Ham, that sort of thing would make me dislike a club. Not that unusual or even that worthy of an explanation, everyone has teams they like and dislike.

• Advertisement

Sligo Rovers (local) and HSV (Germany).

I don't know about these strong connections. Other than a statue for the guy who founded them in Ballymote or Tubbercurry (I forget where) there really isn't much else. I didn't know they were founded by a Sligo man 'till I read about the unveiling of the statue in the paper.

I think the real question is, would Celtic fans celebrate beating them?!

Well they wouldn't want to lose, that's for sure. Of course they would celebrate the win.

Silly thread op, but has lead to an interesting discussion in a funny way.

Sligo Rovers (local) and HSV (Germany).

I don't know about these strong connections. Other than a statue for the guy who founded them in Ballymote or Tubbercurry (I forget where) there really isn't much else. I didn't know they were founded by a Sligo man 'till I read about the unveiling of the statue in the paper.

You do know who Sean Fallon (RIP) was, and that Willie McStay was manager of Sligo Rovers a few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You do know who Sean Fallon (RIP) was, and that Willie McStay was manager of Sligo Rovers a few years back?

So I presume you cheer Rangers on seems like Brian Kerr was a Rangers fan and he managed Ireland. ;-)

Don't like loads of teams, with Celtic, I never really enjoyed how I was expected to care when Celtic played Rangers etc. I also know far too many Celtic fans who I'd consider to be eejits and in the same way that I don't like West Ham, that sort of thing would make me dislike a club. Not that unusual or even that worthy of an explanation, everyone has teams they like and dislike.

Maybe you need to get out more and broaden your horizons a bit. All sorts of people, from all walks of life, support Celtic for example.

• Advertisement

Maybe you need to get out more and broaden your horizons a bit. All sorts of people, from all walks of life, support Celtic for example.
    I'm out plenty and my horizons are plenty broad. I just don't like Celtic, like loads of others. Get over it.

To be fair I can see why Irish people would get annoyed with the expectation for them to like Celtic, and sometimes when trying to oppose that it ends up manifesting itself into actual resentment of the club.

So I presume you cheer Rangers on seems like Brian Kerr was a Rangers fan and he managed Ireland. ;-)

Brian Kerr was a Rangers fan? Jaysus, this thread is full of surprises.

When Brian Kerr got the Ireland job I cheered big time, cos I backed him to get the number at 25to1 if I remember correctly. Wouldn't matter at all if he supported Rangers as a kid, so long as he was successful. I think he was harshly treated btw, would prefer him over Trap as Irish boss right now actually.

Yes, I know both. It has been 20 years since McStay was here now :eek:.

He is well respected here fpr what he achieved, but this time last year he was linked with the job before Baraclough got it and the general opinion was a bit "meh".

Fallon is a Sligo legend. Still don't think there is a strong link here more than any other football town in Ireland to be honest. Celtic sent over a team of kids for a friendly a few years ago and that was a bit of a preview of what a CL tie would be like (support-wise). I'd rather avoid them in the draw.

Celtic and Barca have closer ties than Celtic and Sligo, and despite proving our complete superiority I'd rather avoid them most years :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

To be fair I can see why Irish people would get annoyed with the expectation for them to like Celtic, and sometimes when trying to oppose that it ends up manifesting itself into actual resentment of the club.

Growing up a Rangers fan in Ireland it was easy to see the pressure on my mates to support Celtic at least four times a season, a fifth the day they won a league title.

It's almost an expectation that if you're Irish you have to support Celtic, which is absurd and the people who think its good to support them a few big games a season, buy the hooped top and only wear it when they win, are just as bad and take away from the proper Celtic fans.

My mate is quite well known within the Celtic suppporting community and is absolutely raging at the amount of requests he's had for Juventus tickets and was the same for Barca tickets from people in Ireland because its a big game for Celtic.

Brian Kerr was a Rangers fan? Jaysus, this thread is full of surprises.

When Brian Kerr got the Ireland job I cheered big time, cos I backed him to get the number at 25to1 if I remember correctly. Wouldn't matter at all if he supported Rangers as a kid, so long as he was successful. I think he was harshly treated btw, would prefer him over Trap as Irish boss right now actually.

Yeah, told me so himself at an FAI camp when he was manager and I had my jersey on

TheBuilder wrote: »
    Growing up a Rangers fan in Ireland it was easy to see the pressure of supporting Celtic at least four times a season, a fifth the day they won a league title.
    It is pretty silly, although it is reasonable to assume that any Irish person taking an interest would favour Celtic if only for that match.
    The people who think its good to support them a few big games a season, buy the hooped top and only wear it when they win, are just as bad and take away from the proper Celtic fans.
    I don't even class those people as Celtic fans tbh. No comment I've ever made about our team or support has ever been on their behalf. I do agree it takes away from the proper fans, you don't need any more proof than being asked what 'other' team do you support.
    My mate is quite well known within the Celtic suppporting community and is absolutely raging at the amount of requests he's had for Juventus tickets and was the same for Barca tickets from people in Ireland because its a big game for Celtic.
    In defence of this, it costs quite a lot of money and can be a fairly huge effort to get over for a game. My last trip cost around 2 ton and I was awake for almost 3 days straight. Point being, you do pick and choose the games when you can. If I was able to go over every week I would without question.

I'm out plenty and my horizons are plenty broad. I just don't like Celtic, like loads of others. Get over it.

You can support - or like - what you want, get over yourself.

Just know that you can't stereotype a Celtic supporter anymore than a supporter of any other club.

It is pretty silly, although it is reasonable to assume that any Irish person taking an interest would favour Celtic if only for that match.

I don't even class those people as Celtic fans tbh. No comment I've ever made about our team or support has ever been on their behalf. I do agree it takes away from the proper fans, you don't need any more proof than being asked what 'other' team do you support.

In defence of this, it costs quite a lot of money and can be a fairly huge effort to get over for a game. My last trip cost around 2 ton and I was awake for almost 3 days straight. Point being, you do pick and choose the games when you can. If I was able to go over every week I would without question.

Yeah it does cost a fortune, he's always the guy that gets tickets for people at home, he's more concerned with the fact some of these people only want to go to see Celtic when it's games like this and they can act like diehard fan, and it's not like he can be tricked anyway he's been travelling on the bus every weekend home and away since he was old enough to go with his dad so knows who's who when it comes to going to games regularly, when they can afford, or not at all until times like this. As soon as the draw was done he's getting texts from all over looking for a ticket.

• Advertisement

Yes, I know both. It has been 20 years since McStay was here now :eek:.

He is well respected here fpr what he achieved, but this time last year he was linked with the job before Baraclough got it and the general opinion was a bit "meh".

Fallon is a Sligo legend. Still don't think there is a strong link here more than any other football town in Ireland to be honest. Celtic sent over a team of kids for a friendly a few years ago and that was a bit of a preview of what a CL tie would be like (support-wise). I'd rather avoid them in the draw.

Don't be phased by some of what you might see. A lot of Celtic supporters in Ireland are embarrassed by some elements who attach themselves to the club in this country, like some of the crowd that rioted in Celtic tops at that "Love Ulster" parade in Dublin a few years back. These people aren't Celtic fans, if you asked them anything about football I bet they wouldn't be able to give any kind of an opinion about football of any kind.

Nothing wrong with rioting at a Loyalist hate demonstration.

Don't be phased by some of what you might see. A lot of Celtic supporters in Ireland are embarrassed by some elements who attach themselves to the club in this country, like some of the crowd that rioted in Celtic tops at that "Love Ulster" parade in Dublin a few years back. These people aren't Celtic fans, if you asked them anything about football I bet they wouldn't be able to give any kind of an opinion about football of any kind.

I could say the same thing about people wearing our shirts.

You can support - or like - what you want, get over yourself.

Just know that you can't stereotype a Celtic supporter anymore than a supporter of any other club.
    Who did I stereotype?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Good to see this thread stayed on topic anyway

I could say the same thing about people wearing our shirts.
    Most of the events that have led to Rangers' poor reputation have happened inside stadiums or away in Europe. Pretty sure these people are actual fans.
    Melion wrote: »
    Good to see this thread stayed on topic anyway
    People recognised you as a joke early doors so we did you the favour of starting a proper discussion instead.

Nothing wrong with rioting at a Loyalist hate demonstration.

There is if you end up wrecking your own city. That was a Willie Frazer demo, who cares, the guy is a nutter. Anyway has nowt to do with Celtic FC is the point.

There is if you end up wrecking your own city.
    The spineless pandering **** who authorised it were the ones in charge of the city. Hope they enjoyed the clean up.

Most of the events that have led to Rangers' poor reputation have happened inside stadiums or away in Europe. Pretty sure these people are actual fans.

It was more in reference to muppets in the North wearing our tops at demos and riots etc, or using the 12th as a way to show how big rangers fans they are.

Don't let that stop you getting a dig in though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

and how do you know if they are real fans or not??? they might be scumbags, undesirables etc but you dont know if they are diehard fans or not. it's an odd thing to say. Same as loyalist protesters wearing rangers gear, who know how committed or not they are?

Anyway to answer the op, absolutely yes.

It was more in reference to muppets in the North wearing our tops at demos and riots etc, or using the 12th as a way to show how big rangers fans they are.

Don't let that stop you getting a dig in though.
    :confused: I wasn't getting a dig in. I've never heard anybody criticise Rangers fans because people wear their shirts at Loyalist riots. Like I said, it is the sectarianism that happens inside the stadiums that established the reputation.

I'm not wrong, am I?

The spineless pandering **** who authorised it were the ones in charge of the city. Hope they enjoyed the clean up.

Michael McDowell was Minister for Justice at the time, he probably encouraged authorising it for a laugh. The way people vote in this country requires a lot of in depth analysis. Just look at the nonsense this week, where large sections of the mainstream media appeared to cheerlead the FG lead governement, over a so called "deal" that will see billions of taxpayers money, being spent to bailout bondholders who gambled their money and expected to lose. If there was ever going to be a riot, there should've been a riot about that I reckon.

We might be going off topic now;)

:confused: I wasn't getting a dig in. I've never heard anybody criticise Rangers fans because people wear their shirts at Loyalist riots. Like I said, it is the sectarianism that happens inside the stadiums that established the reputation.

I'm not wrong, am I?

Yes singing songs has got us in trouble, we know that.

I was making the point about Lennonist saying he/Celtic fans are embarrassed by these people wearing Celtic tops at these occasions, just like most rangers fans see no need for people to wear rangers tops on the 12th or at demo's etc.

I'm not wrong, am I?

you are trying to get a dig in builder mentioned people wearing rangers gear at loyalist demos etc. You're twisting things around

Michael McDowell was Minister for Justice at the time, he probably encouraged authorising it for a laugh. The way people vote in this country requires a lot of in depth analysis. Just look at the nonsense this week, where large sections of the mainstream media appeared to cheerlead the FG lead governement, over a so called "deal" that will see billions of taxpayers money, being spent to bailout bondholders who gambled their money and expected to lose. If there was ever going to be a riot, there should've been a riot about that I reckon.

We might be going off topic now;)

ya, just a tad:)

• Advertisement

and how do you know if they are real fans or not??? they might be scumbags, undesirables etc but you dont know if they are diehard fans or not. it's an odd thing to say. Same as loyalist protesters wearing rangers gear, who know how committed or not they are?

Anyway to answer the op, absolutely yes.

They might/maybe regard themselves as diehard Celtic fans, but I don't regard them as real Celtic fans if they bring the rep of the club into disrepute. They can fck off, Celtic don't need them.

They might/maybe regard themselves as diehard Celtic fans, but I don't regard them as real Celtic fans if they bring the rep of the club into disrepute. They can fck off, Celtic don't need them.

Perhaps but they may be very knowledgeable football people at the back of it all.

I don't think you can cherry pick like that. Like when fans do unsavoury things at football games you can't say "oh they're not real fans", they are. The behaviour might be an anomaly but they're still fans. Look at that scumbag who made monkey gestures to Diouf during a derby. His behaviour might be the polar opposite to the majority of our fans or out club's ethos but he was a Celtic fan either way.

In actuality most of the people you're describing don't consider themselves diehard Celtic fans anyway. It's nothing to do with their behaviour or because I don't want them to be, it's just because they usually can't even tell you the previous result or next fixture. They wear the tops because it's fashionable (in their circle), not because they support us.

I don't think you can cherry pick like that. Like when fans do unsavoury things at football games you can't say "oh they're not real fans", they are. The behaviour might be an anomaly but they're still fans. Look at that scumbag who made monkey gestures to Diouf during a derby. His behaviour might be the polar opposite to the majority of our fans or out club's ethos but he was a Celtic fan either way.

In actuality most of the people you're describing don't consider themselves diehard Celtic fans anyway. It's nothing to do with their behaviour or because I don't want them to be, it's just because they usually can't even tell you the previous result or next fixture. They wear the tops because it's fashionable (in their circle), not because they support us.

In the last paragraph you're doing the very same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Ah so your an expert on this are you

• Advertisement
Advertisement