Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you celebrate winning an easy league?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

You know there's one thing worse than getting tired of winning easy leagues, and that is getting tired of not winning anything at all!

I'm an Arsenal fan, at this stage I just want to celebrate something other than an Emirates Cup win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Most of the events that have led to Rangers' poor reputation have happened inside stadiums or away in Europe. Pretty sure these people are actual fans.

Ah so your an expert on this are you
    You haven't even come close to making a point here...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I was merely acknowledging your obvious expertise on the subject ;)

I was merely acknowledging your obvious expertise on the subject ;)

Oh right, you don't need to be an expert really it's quite well publicised despite the best efforts of some media sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Oh right, you don't need to be an expert really it's quite well publicised despite the best efforts of some media sources.
    What your saying other than idiotic singing and the like. You do mean they have been rioting inside all these grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think you would actually celebrate winning an easy league. Its more you would have a sense of satisfaction once your team wrapped it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I'm pretty sure that Celtic fans will celebrate.

As will Bayern Munich fans, Man Utd fans and Barcelona fans who are all walking their own leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its a bit different for Celtic fans to the other two. United and Bayern fans would have been hopeful at the start of the season but would not have taken it for granted that they were going to win their leagues. Celtic were crowned Champions by the large majority before a ball was even kicked this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its a bit different for Celtic fans to the other two. United and Bayern fans would have been hopeful at the start of the season but would not have taken it for granted that they were going to win their leagues. Celtic were crowned Champions by the large majority before a ball was even kicked this season.

Fair enough i see your point.

But they are on a hiding to nothing. If they don't win it by a wide margin they get lashed out of it, and when they do they get lashed out of it. Alot of ppl watch way too much of the Premiership and think its the be all and end all. Loads a rubbish players getting paid fortunes, but thats for a different day.

• Advertisement

Fair enough i see your point.

But they are on a hiding to nothing. If they don't win it by a wide margin they get lashed out of it, and when they do they get lashed out of it.
    Said this a few times, so has Lennon actually. No matter how well we play in domestic games the reaction from outsiders is "lol SPL is such a joke Celtic always win" and then when we don't win it's "LOL LOL LOL celtic lost dere so shíte", whereas when similar happens in the EPL it's a testament to how competitive the league is and how strong the plucky relegation fodder really are.

Even though we have been basically guaranteed the league from the off I've still watched every game. The only difference is I haven't got so down about the losses.

There have been plenty seasons where we've won with a few games to spare. I've still enjoyed watching those remaining games and celebrated the victories because regardless of the big picture they are still football matches and the point of the sport is to win those. If winning the league was the only thing worth celebrating then why not ask the fans of the "Small 17" in England why they bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Lennonist wrote: »

I think there will be movement of some kind in the next few years, maybe starting with regional leagues where top clubs from different smaller leagues amalgamate. Major clubs with a strong tradition and pedigree like Ajax, PSV, some of the Belgian or big Portuguese clubs and even French clubs have similar issues that confront Celtic, re little competition and excitement at domestic level. Once there is movement on amalgamation of leagues like that on a regional basis, then the Euro league will become inevitable. I think the Euro league will become inevitable anyway, sooner or later.

3 teams have won the Belgian league in the last 5 years. 4 teams have won the Dutch league in the same timeframe. 5 different French champions in the last 5 years. Maybe Portugal come close to Scotland in recent league domination and expectations of a continuance of such. Hook up with Portugal, nice weather games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Not sure why United are being brought up in the thread so much, it will take them a lot more work to win the league next year, even this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

dsmythy wrote: »
    3 teams have won the Belgian league in the last 5 years. 4 teams have won the Dutch league in the same timeframe. 5 different French champions in the last 5 years. Maybe Portugal come close to Scotland in recent league domination and expectations of a continuance of such. Hook up with Portugal, nice weather games.

The big Dutch and Belgian clubs have expressed concerns themselves about falling behind in terms of competitiveness and wanting to explore regional or pan European leagues. It isn't a matter that relates to Celtic exclusively.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Not sure why United are being brought up in the thread so much, it will take them a lot more work to win the league next year, even this year!

It's the 10th of February and Man U are 12 points ahead in the EPL. The EPL title race is over this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

It's the 10th of February and Man U are 12 points ahead in the EPL. The EPL title race is over this season.

Paddy Power paid out on Man Utd winning the league today, even before the Everton game. Short of Utd having a meltdown of Newcastle '96 proportions I reckon they are safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Do the Celtic fans really not see the difference between their team and United, Bayern, Barca etc. when it comes to leading the league?
    I'm fond of Celtic, but ye're the most defensive lot I've ever seen.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Do the Celtic fans really not see the difference between their team and United, Bayern, Barca etc. when it comes to leading the league?
    I'm fond of Celtic, but ye're the most defensive lot I've ever seen.

Who is being defensive, I for one see the difference. Just making the point that the premier league race in England is over and it's only Feb 10th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Who is being defensive, I for one see the difference. Just making the point that the premier league race in England is over and it's only Feb 10th.

The league race in Scotland has been over since Rangers were put in Division 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

**** sake.

"ah well, circumstances dictate that my team will walk the league this season, and probably for the forseeable future, I'm gonna ditch my support of them and arbitrarily chose a low to mid level premiership side to support, because mid-table mediocrity is far more fun and outweighs any loyalty and Passion I have for the side i have supported all my life"

Aye, right you are.

Yeah I know, is there someone disputing that:confused:.

Anyway like I say it's over in the EPL for the season this weekend also, wonder will United supporters not bother celebrating their teams win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Looks like the top 3 leagues are all sewn up barring united/bayern or barca having and awful run of games which is highly unlikely given their form, italy is pretty close but its a 2 horse race at best there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

no one is disputing that. Whats your point?? And rangers weren't 'put' in Div 3 but i aint going there

Advertisement