Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How quick can I get Rent Allowance

• 09-02-2013 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I have had to leave the family home because someone in the house has become a danger to me. I will be couch surfing for the next few days and hope to try and get a home sorted for myself next week, I need rent allowance, I have no where I can go permanently and I definitely can't stay where I was. Does anyone know how long this process takes, I am single with no kids, on state benefits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It can take quite a bit - if you have not been renting independantly for 6 months, you still have that criteria to meet. You'll also most likely need to go on the council housing list, and they have to come out and physically inspect your need for housing. When both these are met, you can apply for rent allowance in the property you are renting, and a CWO will come out and do an inspection, and then approve or deny you. Really if you've been living at home your whole life, you could be looking at 6 months minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It can take quite a bit - if you have not been renting independantly for 6 months, you still have that criteria to meet. You'll also most likely need to go on the council housing list, and they have to come out and physically inspect your need for housing. When both these are met, you can apply for rent allowance in the property you are renting, and a CWO will come out and do an inspection, and then approve or deny you. Really if you've been living at home your whole life, you could be looking at 6 months minimum.

I was living elsewhere in 2011 for 6 months but I think I threw out my rent book. I can't afford rent as I am only getting €188 a week, I really need somewhere to live, what can I do in the mean time? If I will be waiting 6 months I mean, I am literally homeless at the moment.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I was living elsewhere in 2011 for 6 months but I think I threw out my rent book. I can't afford rent as I am only getting €188 a week, I really need somewhere to live, what can I do in the mean time? If I will be waiting 6 months I mean, I am literally homeless at the moment.

Your best bet would be to go to the CWO for your area and speak to them about your predicament, and be honest with them. Also depends on where you live as the accomodation's monthly rent has to be below a certain amount or you won't be entitled to rent allowance.

I had to rent a flat for €100 a week out of my €188 for 6 months before they would even entertain me for rent allowance.

ShaShaBear wrote: »

Your best bet would be to go to the CWO for your area and speak to them about your predicament, and be honest with them. Also depends on where you live as the accomodation's monthly rent has to be below a certain amount or you won't be entitled to rent allowance.

I had to rent a flat for €100 a week out of my €188 for 6 months before they would even entertain me for rent allowance.

I'm already planning to go on Wednesday, and putting in an application for council housing on Monday. I really hope something can be done I am in really sore straits.

Thanks very much for your replies, your help is very much appriciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I have had to leave the family home because someone in the house has become a danger to me. I will be couch surfing for the next few days and hope to try and get a home sorted for myself next week, I need rent allowance, I have no where I can go permanently and I definitely can't stay where I was. Does anyone know how long this process takes, I am single with no kids, on state benefits.

If you're leaving the house because of a danger to you and are going to sleep on couch's you come under the criteria to register as homeless and should also get a housing needs assessment too.(local authority)

You need to have address for your payment , so if you are sleeping on a friends couch you are not using your home address , this may be of issue concerning your payment.

I think what another poster suggested regarding renting for the first six months might be an option.Homeless hostels are not great options.

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »

If you're leaving the house because of a danger to you and are going to sleep on couch's you come under the criteria to register as homeless and should also get a housing needs assessment too.(local authority)

You need to have address for your payment , so if you are sleeping on a friends couch you are not using your home address , this may be of issue concerning your payment.

I think what another poster suggested regarding renting for the first six months might be an option.Homeless hostels are not great options.

I have found a place to stay for the time being atleast. I honestly don't have the means to rent privately at the mo, so going to start saving every single penny I have, I do have savings but it would only cover a deposit and first months rent. I then have 5 more months to cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

I have found a place to stay for the time being atleast. I honestly don't have the means to rent privately at the mo, so going to start saving every single penny I have, I do have savings but it would only cover a deposit and first months rent. I then have 5 more months to cover.

Id go speak to your local TD or councillor. They will be able to help you get rent allowance and your housing needs assessment sooner. My wife and I applied for housing needs assessment on new years eve and we got it 2 weeks later and then got approved for rent allowance. I was on the housing list from 2010 however, but they had to update ours because I got married. We came back from been in Canada for the last 18 months. One of our local councilors helped us get all this quickly. So go speak to them. I hope you get it sorted soon.

jjbrien wrote: »
    Id go speak to your local TD or councillor. They will be able to help you get rent allowance and your housing needs assessment sooner. My wife and I applied for housing needs assessment on new years eve and we got it 2 weeks later and then got approved for rent allowance. I was on the housing list from 2010 however, but they had to update ours because I got married. We came back from been in Canada for the last 18 months. One of our local councilors helped us get all this quickly. So go speak to them. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks JJ, I will do that as soon as I get my application in.

Just think there, the area that I am from is on the border of 2 counties so I don't knw hitch one to apply to, if I am given rent allowance do I have to rent in the county that I am on the council list of.

Just think there, the area that I am from is on the border of 2 counties so I don't knw hitch one to apply to, if I am given rent allowance do I have to rent in the county that I am on the council list of.

Yes

• Advertisement
Advertisement