Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue for fixing mdf speaker box to front housing any suggestions?

• 09-02-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18

Hi any help would be appreciated!
    I managed to knock over one of my monitor audio Bronze 2 speakers and the front of the casing (which contains the speakers themselves) has seperated from the "box". This is attached to the rest if the box by a very liberal coating of glue which can only be seen from the inside.
    The only damage appears to be that this glue coating has been cracked open towards the base of the speaker. This has resulted in a small opening of about 5mm at its maximum with at the base between the plastic front and the wooden case. It looks like some sort of epoxy resin or possibly pva or even a milky fiberglass resin (its white/cream in appearance) which makes up all the gaps between the mdf in the face of the speaker and the surrounding case. Any suggestions as to what I might use to repair this? I was intending on prising the front cover off, cleaning what I can of the existing glue, and re gluing. But which glue to use? There is no sign of any other fixings so the glue would be taking all the flex of the case and hopefully stopping any resonance or reverberation.
    If anyone has any experience of this or suggestions would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tec-7. Plenty of other alternatives like 2-part epoxy thickened with a filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 phragmities

Hi thanks for that. The issue or so Ive been led to believe is that some of the glues have organic solvents in them which can overtime degrade the mdf and chipboard glues making them flaky and brittle at the point of contact.Ssome of the lines of rapid set PVA glues can cause this problem (even within one brand) and also epoxy glues. I had thought of tec 7 but was worried about its very useful flexibility so counted it out in this situation. I decided to go ahead and use a traditional PVA wood glue. Removing the whole front of the speaker and cleaning it of the old residue of which there was a lot. I then rebeaded with fresh glue then applying weight for 24 hours. This seems to be working well: No annoying sound effects or differences between the speakers.
    I only yesterday got a reply from the manufacturer saying that standard pva glues are what they would have used originally, so hopefully all will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

cheers for the info, was just looking for that myself. PVC woodglue it is then. its on the spare set of speakers that a mate had the loan of, came back damaged, he did not mention it, but as soon as i used them, could hear a faint buzz. checked the speaker and the front was slightly loose. he had tried to fix them though, with what apears to be superglue! and that just did not work at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 phragmities

Just a quick correction its PVA not PVC the slow setting stuff. I used one of the evobond products still all good so far. You need to compress it well while setting and dont be tempted to check it for at least 24 hours I left mine for 2 days. Should be clamped or in my case weighed down with a towel to protect surface then a large book and several concrete blocks. My speakers are fairly robust so you can use your own judgment there.
    I thought it was important to remove the whole piece and clean off the old glue (not very easily done) and re seal with a liberal amount of wood glue. This gave me an airtight seal, I imagine.
    One thing that may be causing the buzzing I noticed in an old set I had the foam in the speaker had moved out of place and when repositioned corrected this. Its another possibility to check before dismantling.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

sorry for the delay, only seeing your post now.
    Not 100% sure what glue that i used, will check again at the weekend. as i mentioned they were spare speakers, KEF Coda 7's (yes that goes back quite a bit). but really liked them when they were the main set, moved on to bigger and better after that.
    whichever type of glue i used worked though, did spend some time cleaning the old glue away, but did not completely seperate them, just as far as i had to, to get cleaned out etc. glued them, placed them flat then a decent pile of heavy books for about 24 hours or so. did the job, did have the backs off them, and the foam was fine. fairly certain it was the bass notes causing slight vibration, and that causing the buzzing. either way its gone now, and they are back in part time use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement