Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grants for a course?

• 09-02-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I am intrested in doing a course like this one: http://thefitnessacademy.ie/

BUT the problem is I am unemployed after having only xmas work and ony come out with 100e a week BEFORE bills and rent and the course is 1950e...

I cannot afford this course and FAS/Social Welfare both turned me down and told me that they do not fund courses...

the course provider has told me some of the other lads have been getting help with grants and that.

has anyone any advice on this? is there somewhere that will help me fund this course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

G.Murphy wrote: »
    I am intrested in doing a course like this one: http://thefitnessacademy.ie/

BUT the problem is I am unemployed after having only xmas work and ony come out with 100e a week BEFORE bills and rent and the course is 1950e...

I cannot afford this course and FAS/Social Welfare both turned me down and told me that they do not fund courses...

the course provider has told me some of the other lads have been getting help with grants and that.

has anyone any advice on this? is there somewhere that will help me fund this course?
    Social welfare do fund training courses or give you about 75% funding if the training is going to further your education and help you get employment!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭G.Murphy

Gee_G wrote: »
    Social welfare do fund training courses or give you about 75% funding if the training is going to further your education and help you get employment!

Went down Friday and they told me they did away with that over a year ago but the course provider said the other lads are getting grants. No way I could afford the course without a grant. :mad:

Went down Friday and they told me they did away with that over a year ago but the course provider said the other lads are getting grants. No way I could afford the course without a grant. :mad:
    I've just been approved for funding, like last week! Get back onto them again! Ask them to give you a name of someone to deal with in your local Employment services dept.

Gee_G wrote: »
    I've just been approved for funding, like last week! Get back onto them again! Ask them to give you a name of someone to deal with in your local Employment services dept.

Unreal they are, thanks I'll head down Monday and speak with someone else!
    cheers :)

Unreal they are, thanks I'll head down Monday and speak with someone else!
    cheers :)
    No problem. I know how ya feel :)
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is there a local employment service near you? they are much better than fas

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Is there a local employment service near you? they are much better than fas

There is a obair just down the road. Do i just go in and explain that fas or the welfare wont fund it and do they do grants or help fund it?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Try to get in touch with your local Jobs Facilitator. I found them really knowledgeable and helpful. They gave me 75% of the fees for a course. (Though that was two years ago and only €400 in total).

If you can show that the course is likely to lead to employment you're in with a better chance. Friends of mine have looked for help paying for a TEFL course and were told down.

If it doesn't work out, maybe try setting up a payment plan with the providers? Or ask the credit union for a loan?

Best of luck.

Advertisement