Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Question (Fetac Course.)

Options
  • 09-02-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Applied to study Early Childhood Education last month via CAO. I'm currently studying a Fetac Major in Healthcare. Initially, the course was to end in May, but due to changes in the structure of the course it will now end the following May (2014). I put down down that I am currently studying this course. I was wondering will my participation in this course still stand to me, even though the course will not be completed in May. I began voluntary work last month, that is related to the area in which I wish to study. I wanted to give depth to my claim in being interested in this subject. It might help that i'm a male, also.

If I do not gain entry this year, and I finish the course next year (May 2014), will it look better in my application (2014), that I will will be receiving the major award in May? I will obviously put it down that I will be receiving the award in May. I could attach results from my first four modules, too. This is just an option if i don't gain entry to D.I.T. this year.

I appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Unless entry to your third level course is FETAC linked and dependent on having completed your course before this coming September then any modules you have completed and received certification for will stand to you.
    Obviously the full award looks better but it may be possible to be given a place on the grounds of Mature years without the major award but without knowing the course you are applying for its hard to say for definite.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BlackYogurt

Hi paperclip,

Thank you for your response. I apologise for not including the degree that I wish to study; it's "Early childhood Education" in D.I.T. I also applied to Blanch I.T.

http://www.dit.ie/socialscienceslaw/socialsciences/degreeprogrammes/bahonsearlychildhoodeducation/

The course is not dependant on Fetac, but I entered the Fetac course to help improve my chances of gaining entry to third level. I also took up voluntary work to further enhance my CAO; the voluntary group being Solas Project. I did include on my CAO that I am currently in the middle of completing the award.

I don't know if this will enhance my CAO, but I gained the leaving certificate grades that are required:

Leaving Certificate in six subjects at least two of which must be at grade C3 or higher on higher level papers. Results must include OD3 in Irish or English and OD3 in Mathematics.

I don't know if they will take this into account or not as I do not have sufficient points, but I thought I would mention it.

I spoke to one of the lecturers of this course, and he told me that the number of students is between 40-50, with 20% being allocated for mature students.

Thank you for your reply paperclip, and I look forward to any further comments/advice you have for me.

Sorry, I see you did put the course in the original post. The fact you have the Leaving Cert subject requirements will be to your benefit even without points. As you wont have the complete FETAC course completed you will only be considered for the mature application route but from what you have posted you have a good educational experience and the fact that you are doing relevant and recent work experience will support your application.

Is there an interview for this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BlackYogurt

Hi paperclip,

Yes, I understand that I will not be considered as a Fetac applicant, but like you said, the fact that I'm in a course will still stand to me. If it comes to it, I will just complete the course and re-apply. I did not know that it will stand to me, in relation to the subject requirements, that's good to hear.

If I was to not gain entry this year, and I finished the course next May (2014), will I be able to re-apply as a Fetac applicant on my CAO (2014), as it will be completed in May of that year?

Yes, it is an interview, but I will gain help from my sister who has wonderful knowledge with the interview process, so I will be well prepared. Your sticky in relation to interviews is great also, so I will definitely be using that for preparation, if indeed I get the opportunity to attend an interview.

If you aren't successful as a mature applicant you should be able to apply as a FETAC applicant in 2014. Just make sure that there is no caveat on FETAC applicants to your choice of degree that the FETAC course has to be taken in one year. This is the case with the FETAC applicants to Nursing degrees. I've not seen it for the Early Childhood Care and Ed degrees but just make sure :)

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement