Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local SEO

Options
  • 09-02-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi lads

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I'll be setting up my new website shorlty, but I'll only want traffic from Ireland and not internationally.

Is there anyway that I can just attract traffic from Ireland.

Many thanks

DN:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Short answer - no

Longer answer

you could block non-Irish users using a geoip lookup, but you might also block genuine users in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

You could just sort the webmaster tools solution ..

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=62399

To be honest i would not go down the geoip route as people may indeed be looking for a service from an alternative country for reference for someone else or perhaps themeselves in the future.
    This is probably an easier fix, if people look from the Usa, so be it .. ??

Best of luck with it either way.,

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aine.philip

Hi

To get your website ranked Locally in Ireland, best is buy a .ie domain and then from webmaster tool, set you preferred Location to Ireland.

then Google will consider your website local and will rank accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

To get your website ranked Locally in Ireland, best is buy a .ie domain and then from webmaster tool, set you preferred Location to Ireland

Once you have an .ie - you can make that setting as Google assumes .ie = atttract traffic from Ireland

If you have an generic TLD like a .com or ,net - then that geo is available to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

You could have an intro page that say, "if you're not Irish, feck off"

Interested, why do you only want traffic from Ireland? Think it's the first time I've heard someone wanting to turn traffic away.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

bacon? wrote: »
    You could have an intro page that say, "if you're not Irish, feck off"

Interested, why do you only want traffic from Ireland? Think it's the first time I've heard someone wanting to turn traffic away.

Maybe Oz is too hot for them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Quite frankly traffic is money, and it does not at all affect your rankings only improve them so as the above poster mentioned why "Dont" you want additional traffic from other geo regions ??

Advertisement