Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my router??

• 09-02-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hope this is the correct section, my question is => which router should i buy to replace/upgrade my standard eircom one, is there and advantage to doing this? i use my internet for general browsing/streaming video and gaming (xbox live)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If it's working fine now then no. There is no need. A new router is really only necessary if you want to increase range, or wifi throughput. Basically HD streaming is the only reason most people need to change routers.

Just be sure if you get a router then put your Eircom one in bridge mode, or else get a router/modem together and ditch the eircom box altogether. If you just plug in a new router you will be double natting and it will probably mess with xbox live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kingpin_2004

thanks for the reply, only reason im considering upgrading is because my router is on the ground floor but my xbox is on the third floor, i use the powerline Ethernet plugs to run my internet connection up to it but the signal seems to drop off every now and again and its starting to annoy me when i play online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

thanks for the reply, only reason im considering upgrading is because my router is on the ground floor but my xbox is on the third floor, i use the powerline Ethernet plugs to run my internet connection up to it but the signal seems to drop off every now and again and its starting to annoy me when i play online

Changing router will not fix this, you have 2 floors in the way blocking the signal. Run a cat5 cable and get someone who works in IT to crimp it either end. Put some thought into the route the cable takes, it's easy hide cat5 under the plaster plinth and up behind downpipes. Once you have a cable you can add a switch and wireless access point to give you full wireless coverage in the house. Then plug your console into the switch, giving you the full speed of ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Kingpin_2004

is it possible to split the phone point ie have on upstairs and down or do i have to move the point upstairs altogether? im using a wired not wireless connection for my xbox i did this using these http://www.maplin.co.uk/200mbps-twin-powerline-starter-kit-626147

Advertisement