Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Northern Ireland To Change Their Anthem?

• 09-02-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

There's been an ongoing debate over the last few years regarding changing the anthem for Northern Ireland.

In attempt to attract catholics and people from nationalist backgrounds there has been a suggestion to change the anthem to something more 'neutral', that can appeal to both sides. This has been discussed by the IFA.

However many of the Northern Ireland fans are opposed as they see it as a simply another erosion of protestant culture, and conceding ground to nationalists/republicans and so called 'enemies of the state'.

The removal of God Save The Queen will cause uproar in many unionist sections of the population. The downside of course to not changing it is that many catholics may feel unwelcome and opt to support/play for the Republic of Ireland. Of course some of us would like to see catholics happily play for the north, and avoid being part of this ongoing north/south handrigging debate.

I go to Northern Ireland games frequently and would definitely support a change to the anthem obviously, however many NI fans I know here are utterly opposed to any changes (or 'concessions to republicans').

I suppose the attitude amongst many unionists here is "you have you're team, we have ours". If it means 11 protestants turn out to the field of NI then so be it, as they wouldn's support the destruction like of the state like many catholics do blah blah blah.

Should they change the anthem? Because if they don't, then the ROI will be forever part of the 'poaching' players etc from the North scenario.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

You may not have noticed this but a recent democratic decision to present the Belfast City Hall as a more neutral, welcoming environment was met with mild unhappiness from Loyalists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

FIFA should have stepped in long go and told the IFA that they cannot be using Englands anthem.I dont know of any other two "Countries" that are using the same anthem.

FIFA should have stepped in long go and told the IFA that they cannot be using Englands anthem.I dont know of any other two "Countries" that are using the same anthem.
    It's the British anthem not the English one. And the status of Northern Ireland as a country is pretty ropey at best. I think it's fitting that they don't have a proper anthem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Georgia use the same music as England.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Giz Jonny Evans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

lichtenstein no?

Flag??.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Sorry, that was Lichtenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Sorry, that was Lichtenstein.

Which made anthems a bit repetitive when they played Northern Ireland a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Poaching players??

Under GFA you are well entitled to play for Republic if you so wish .

• Advertisement

FIFA shouldnt be getting involved in politics at all

FIFA shouldnt be getting involved in politics at all

A lot of people would say, they should't be invovled in football either.

A lot of people would say, they should't be invovled in football either.

id be one of them :pac:

It's the British anthem not the English one. And the status of Northern Ireland as a country is pretty ropey at best. I think it's fitting that they don't have a proper anthem.

Exactly.They play the anthem of their British passport holder players and kick up a stink when some Irish passport holders dont want to play for them.

Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn should be given medals for sticking it out.

What kind of song would you have to appease both set of fans?

Danny Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn should be given medals for sticking it out.
    McCourt and McGinn presumably are not nationalists. If they are they are complete idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Not sure, but it would have to include this as a sample.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s1MspmfEwg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Maniac 2000

• Advertisement

McCourt and McGinn presumably are not nationalists. If they are they are complete idiots.

They sure are.Its the IFA are the idiots I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Do people think that if you are a catholic born in the north, you're automatically a nationalist?

Jesus that's the most naive thing I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

whaaaaaatttt:eek:

Fenix wrote: »
    Do people think that if you are a catholic born in the north, you're automatically a nationalist?

Jesus that's the most naive thing I've ever heard.
    Why, are you saying Mc Court ad McGinn are catholics???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Think it will take more than a change of anthem

A nice aspiration to attract the Catholic community in numbers but in reality would take a few generations and a lot more than changing the anthem to have any success. But then again you have to start somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Glentoran planning something for mondays game in Dublin.

Always feckin us .......

Strangely enough during the era of the likes of Pat Jennings (Catholic former Gaelic footballer) and George Best (Protestant boy from the streets of Belfast), Protestants and Catholics could celebrate Northern Ireland as a united team where the majority of good citizens were united in their success. Ironically the troubles coupled with a politically correct world which has fanned the flames of troubles if anything. It has played right into the hands of extremists on both sides of the divide who continue to call the shots and make everyone's life a misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There will be no change of anthem and even if there was, it would not change the opinion of many who choose not to watch football matches in Windsor Park.

Thats just the way of NI, like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Anything by Phil Coulter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Strangely enough during the era of the likes of Pat Jennings (Catholic former Gaelic footballer) and George Best (Protestant boy from the streets of Belfast), Protestants and Catholics could celebrate Northern Ireland as a united team where the majority of good citizens were united in their success. Ironically the troubles coupled with a politically correct world which has fanned the flames of troubles if anything. It has played right into the hands of extremists on both sides of the divide who continue to call the shots and make everyone's life a misery.

Key word in this paragraph, tbf.

No disrespect to your post but the troubles didnt seem to impact on the NI team until the early 90's. I stand to be corrected but i dont remember any nonsense during the worst days of the troubles

Windsor Park 1993 changed all that imo. As a kid me and my mates were all mad into NI n the 82 World Cup, that win against Spain stands out as one of my greatest childhood sporting memories. Not sure how it all turned sour but Billy Bingham that night in Windsor Park was a ****ing disgrace. Now we wwere watching in a jam packed jubilant pub in Mayo so didnt really realise what it was like until hearing the reports on radio etc next day and seeing the videos. Ah something changed that night i think, hard to put a finger on it really

You may well be right.

My dad used to take me and my brother up to Windsor for a lot of games in the late 70s, and all through the 80s, and although there was some unsavoury songs being sung I was too engrossed in the football to notice.

Back in them days a trip to Dublin to watch Ireland was too far away, and Belfast was much handier for Derry folk. I seen some of the worlds great teams and players at Windsor and seen some famous NI victories. Although I remember some of the comments from friends at school as I moved into my teenage years along the lines of "what are you doing going up there to watch football". Some of my friends would have been more staunch than me when it came to politics!

I can't honestly remember the last time I was up at a game, long time ago. I would agree that something did change. I would still go if there was a big enough game and I could get a ticket as the sight of Union flags doesn't really annoy me at all. In fact my older brother would still go to the odd game.

I still cheer on both Irelands, always have done and always will. Don't care what anyone thinks of that tbh.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You may well be right.

My dad used to take me and my brother up to Windsor for a lot of games in the late 70s, and all through the 80s, and although there was some unsavoury songs being sung I was too engrossed in the football to notice.

Back in them days a trip to Dublin to watch Ireland was too far away, and Belfast was much handier for Derry folk. I seen some of the worlds great teams and players at Windsor and seen some famous NI victories. Although I remember some of the comments from friends at school as I moved into my teenage years along the lines of "what are you doing going up there to watch football". Some of my friends would have been more staunch than me when it came to politics!

I can't honestly remember the last time I was up at a game, long time ago. I would agree that something did change. I would still go if there was a big enough game and I could get a ticket as the sight of Union flags doesn't really annoy me at all. In fact my older brother would still go to the odd game.

I still cheer on both Irelands, always have done and always will. Don't care what anyone thinks of that tbh.
    Different strokes and that, for a lot of people in the early 70s the idea of trying to get home from East Belfast, often having to pass through even worse areas, was too much to seriously consider heading to a match.

I don't mind you cheering for both Irelands and I've no direct reason to mind the Union Jacks and the other stuff but as long as you understand why some may have a problem then we're both on the same page. :pac:

Oh I fully understand for sure.

I could see why some fellow nationalists would not want to go to Windsor or feel that it was 'their' country playing.

But someone else mentioned it earlier, I have great memories of the 1982 WC cos I was in Butlins Mosney for it as a young teenager. Anyone who was ever at Mosney would know about the communal TV room. Well I remember watching NI play Austria in that TV room and it was packed to the rafters with fans from all over Ireland, and all were cheering like mad for NI. It was almost as if back then it was that all of Ireland would cheer for the 2 Irelands if they were playing, but as someone else said, things changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally I think we should have an All-Ireland team and we should use something like Ireland's call as the anthem. I don't think sports should be in any way involved in politics.

• Advertisement

Good luck with that.

I can never see guys from the Shankill heading off to a major championship with those from the Bogside, the Falls, Dublin or Cork to cheer on an AI team.

Not in my lifetime anyway.

No disrespect to your post but the troubles didnt seem to impact on the NI team until the early 90's. I stand to be corrected but i dont remember any nonsense during the worst days of the troubles

Windsor Park 1993 changed all that imo. As a kid me and my mates were all mad into NI n the 82 World Cup, that win against Spain stands out as one of my greatest childhood sporting memories. Not sure how it all turned sour but Billy Bingham that night in Windsor Park was a ****ing disgrace. Now we wwere watching in a jam packed jubilant pub in Mayo so didnt really realise what it was like until hearing the reports on radio etc next day and seeing the videos. Ah something changed that night i think, hard to put a finger on it really

My Dad said he supported the North in 82 and 86 also but like you it all changed after 93.

Lot of older people I knew supported the North those days but not same feelings since that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Yeah things changed when the Republic started to do well. 88,90 and of course 94 and that night in Windsor. Everybody used to shout for the North in 82 and 86 but that didn't happen when the shoe was on the other foot.

I'd love to go to Windsor and support the North. But I wont for the forseeable future because its a us against them mentality, which is wrong on both sides.

A change of anthem, would be a nice start OP, as was mentioned Danny Boy would seem to fit.

Surely any player should have their wishes respected no matter which team they choose to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Windsor Park 1993 changed all that imo.

Nail on the head there. I always kept an eye out for them and wished them well prior to that night.

A disgusting night, with Bingham showing his true worth. It will never be forgotten.

Now I cheer when I see them struggle to a 0-0 draw against Malta. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

bohsboy wrote: »
    Nail on the head there. I always kept an eye out for them and wished them well prior to that night.

A disgusting night, with Bingham showing his true worth. It will never be forgotten.

That was a good result for them, clean sheet and all....:D

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Personally I think we should have an All-Ireland team and we should use something like Ireland's call as the anthem. I don't think sports should be in any way involved in politics.

Its a different demograph that follows Rugby Union in NI then Soccer bear that in mind.

bohsboy wrote: »

What exactly did he do? Good article on the guardian about that night and not only the events in Windsor but Paris/Cardiff/Seville etc

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/feb/15/forgotten-story-17-november-1993

In Jack Charltons book he said it was the asst manager who gave Maurice Setters the 'up yours' but it would appear that Billy was shooting his mouth off about our players in the build up.

Here is what Jack had to say in his book :D
    In the feverish aftermath, Charlton decided to score a point. "I spotted Billy [Bingham] talking among his players and moved in his direction to congratulate him on his retirement and compliment him on a good game," he said in his autobiography. "At least that was my intention. Instead, in a moment I still find difficult to understand, I pointed a finger at him and blurted 'Up yours too, Billy.'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

eagle eye wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbCxl4hnzA

Great Guardian article, link to Bulgaria's goal 89 min 49s to put France out

pavb2 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMbCxl4hnzA

Great Guardian article, link to Bulgaria's goal 89 min 49s to put France out

Dont want to go too off topic with this but i just have to say, how Ginola got all the blame for that is unbelievable. Yes he should have been smarter in that situation but my god the 2 men who should have been guarding that right flank + the centre back and the goalkeeper (for been beaten at his near post albeit with power) all should have been horsewhipped.

As for Gerard Houlliers bitterness toward Ginola and the vitriol he still takes from the French public, alot of the Aston Villa fans could feel the same toward Houllier for his ill fated 1 year tenure.

With everyone else you lose as a team and you win as a team and it should have been no different in that scenario. Poor Mark Bodin also.

The name Mark Bodin brings back memories.

That was a day/night I will never forget.

Good one for Republic in the end.

Just seen this youtube video of the match (RITY feature)....On that night i was a kid of 10 years of age and tbh i had no real grasp of the troubles in the North at that time but looking at the video below i can honestly say that Bingham behaved like a total and utter bellend.

For a man who had such a huge playing and management career in England and abroad where he undoubtedly soldiered alongside 1 or 2 ROI internationals you would think he would be more broadminded then that instead of being a small minded bigot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The name Mark Bodin brings back memories.

That was a day/night I will never forget.

Good one for Republic in the end.

He missed a penalty that would have put Wales 1-0 up against Romania that same night. It was a mad night in football. I used to love football back then. Its lost its magic greatly since imo.

Yeah as that article says, football is now so orchestrated to make sure the big teams do not suffer the embarrassment of not qualifying.

Back then big teams often missed out on tournaments, and in the European Cup big teams often played early and knocked each other out.

Happier times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement