Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost dog knocked at my door, please all advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@Mountainsandh : Well Done to you on your kindness here :)

I've created a thread over in the Waterford forum (here) linking back in to your thread in here . Maybe someone posting or lurking in that forum would have information?. Hopefully anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

You could also ring the Munster Express and other papers local to you and ask if they'd put him in the paper - best to write a little piece about when and where he came to you and attach a couple of photos and email it to reporter on the paper. They're pretty good about including things like this if they have space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Have you tried posting this on the hunting forum? Just in case it was a hunting dog that got out. Poor thing, good on you for taking it in. Looks like its been out loose for quite a while :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Well done for taking him in,he looks exhausted the poor thing.Can you keep him till he gets back on his feet,get him checked out with a vet for a microchip & him warm & dry.I wouldn't advise as someone suggested putting him in pound as some pounds dont allow rescues to take their dogs & if hes not rehomed directly from the pound,hes in danger of being put to sleep.

I can pm you the name of a lady in Tramore that may be able / advise you,just let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks all, as I said I'm just doing what most of you I'm sure would do too, how could you just shut the door on him ?

I've been in touch with a neighbour to pass the word out already, and have posted on my local sanctuary page, hoping something might come of that, or they might have some advice.

I'm reluctant to get on to pounds, I have read a lot of bad stuff about them on here and online via the rescue pages I'm friends with.

He seems a dote, and I hope he hasn't been dumped, and that he has nice owners, as I can't take him really, I've a cat and a dog already, and have stopped at that because it suits our lifestyle. But seeing how gorgeous he would be if he was in good shape, and how gentle he seems, I'm sure there'd be a home somewhere for him.

I'm going to spread the word some more on Facebook pages people have kindly pmd now, and might get some of the lost and found sites done tonight as well, if not that will be tomorrow.

I think he needs to see a vet too, my vets are great, so I might give them a ring tomorrow, fingers crossed it wouldn't cost too much. They're very honest vets so... but the sanctuary might be able to help too, they would have a better idea. He might perk up after the night's sleep too.

I'll update here when I can. Thanks all

edit : and I'll keep him for now anyway, in the shed, and hopefully won't have to let him go back to bad owners. It's a headache right now to be honest, but I want him to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Well done for taking him in. He is absolutely gorgeous! Really hope this story has a happy ending and he has a family waiting to find him!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

DBB wrote: »
    Actually, on reflection, hunting folk rarely leave a collar on a dog whilst hunting, and that's an unusual collar he has on, more typical of greyhounds and other sighthounds. So, I'm cancelling out the idea that he got lost out hunting! Hmmm. I'm beginning to wonder who's company he'd been in before he ended up out and about on his own. He may indeed have had a lucky escape, but it'd be interesting to see has he a chip. He may, just may have been stolen some time ago.

Yes, it is a very unusual collar to have on a dog like him as it is the kind I think more used on greyhounds? I very much doubt he's come from somewhere where he was a family pet. Well done OP. At least he can relax and rest for a while, poor fellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

carav10 wrote: »
    Yes, it is a very unusual collar to have on a dog like him as it is the kind I think more used on greyhounds? I very much doubt he's come from somewhere where he was a family pet. Well done OP. At least he can relax and rest for a while, poor fellow.

We used to have a greyhound collar on our old JRT X staffie as it was the only one she couldn't snap easily so it might be someones family pet, someone who also owns greyhounds maybe and had a spare collar? Is there any greyhound breeders in the area, they might know something.

I just went to check on him, and it's good news already, he's perked up a good bit.

He's not getting up or moving, but he had pulled himself out of the blanket a bit so I think he's nice and warm now, not shaking anymore, and lifting his head nicely, and actually looking at me, which he wasn't doing earlier. He was licking himself a bit (his wounds), it's nicer to see him doing something like that than just lying there not opening his eyes.

I had some tins of Winalot that I intended to give to the local sanctuary for Christmas and never did (my dog is very picky and doesn't like them), and gave him about a third of a regular tin, he looked up and looked hungry when he smelled it :)

He doesn't want water (I left a pan full of it there), I'm sure he's had enough of that outside for now.

There are a lot of hunters around where I live, and I suspect a lot of poachers too, so ... I don't know.

It's great anyway, he seemed happy to go back to sleep now, so I'm a good bit reassured going to bed, he might not be ill as in, parvo, or anything very bad like that.

edit : oh and I was able to take off the collar and check, no name or anything written inside. He loved me massaging his neck actually, I was a bit weary that he'd be weary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

jellybear wrote: »
    Well done for taking him in. He is absolutely gorgeous! Really hope this story has a happy ending and he has a family waiting to find him!
    ahh i feel the same what a cute fellow, you are so kind to take this poor little dog in i hope he will be ok .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Probably a long shot here. Just saw an ad on lost and found pets.ie Male springer under 2yrs old, missing from Mullinavat, Co. Kilkenny since 3rd Jan. There is a picture but hard to tell if its the same dog. Not sure if I can post a link, its on page 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Aww, the poor little fellow. Well done on taking him in, he must be so grateful to be getting some food and kindness. See if you can get in touch with a rescue tomorrow, they're brilliant for advice on what to do when you find a dog

santasbird wrote: »
    Probably a long shot here. Just saw an ad on lost and found pets.ie Male springer under 2yrs old, missing from Mullinavat, Co. Kilkenny since 3rd Jan. There is a picture but hard to tell if its the same dog. Not sure if I can post a link, its on page 7.

Thanks Santasbird, off to check that now, last thing I do tonight, have been putting notices out rather than checking the lost and found so far. Will do more tomorrow.

posted an ad on there, don't think the descriptions match but no pic in the Mullinavat ad so you never know.

posted an ad on there, don't think the descriptions match but no pic in the Mullinavat ad so you never know.

It is near 1am now Mountainsandh; the little mite is now in a safe, warm & friendly environment - Thanks to your good self. You should try and get some shut eye now for yourself ;)

Yeah that's me gone now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Poor thing needs a duvet

Yeah that's me gone now :)

Sleep Well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Well done Op, your a good person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O - aren't you so good to open the door and let him in & give him food and a warm bed. He s such a pet - and you can e sure that if he trusted humans enough to persist and knock on your door that he came from a good home. He looks like a springer spaniel - one of the classic hunting dogs. It's been so cold out these last weeks - if he got lost out walking or hunting he could have been running about the rocks and rivers looking for his owner getting all battered & exhausted. You are SO good for giving him Refuge and hope & a bit of love. Its what we all hope would happen to our dogs if they were out alone & in the cold, and lost.

: )

The kindness of strangers.
    Sometimes it's all we have .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

The poor dog looks wreaked! I'm so glad he found your house for the night. This might be a weird question, but have you only recently moved in? We've all read/heard the crazy stories about dogs walking for miles to find their families when they get lost...maybe this one got lost and went back to his old house by mistake? Okay, no, typing it out there made it sound really stupid! But fair play for looking after him, hope you have some luck finding the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

He's only a young dog aswell
    Might be worth putting up an add on the hunting section
    Obviously needing proof that its their dog should someone contact you
    Springers are pretty hardy dogs considering the work they do aswell
    Bursting through cover and hard gorse land
    It's the collar that's putting me off as people who hunt with them wouldn't have a collar on the as its get caught in barbed fences etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭peterjmaxwell

Well done OP!

Here's a photo of the lost dog in Kilkenny

kd60ki.jpg

The owners phone number is there so might be worth a quick call/text

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

Looks like he's more pointer than springer. (short hair on his ears)

You've put a lot of effort into making him comfortable, and letting his plight be known, in such a short space of time. Well done.

Thanks everyone.

Well good news, he's doing way better now, not too worried about him being ill anymore other than the mange and being very thin...

He was standing this morning, and I took him out for a little walk outside and a toilet stop, he was glad to go back inside though. Had food...

I think he's good, not at death's door like I thought last night anyway, I guess it was sheer exhaustion.

Last night some people were lamping near me, not sure if they were lamping (lots of people about doing that around here) or maybe looking for him in the forestry ?

Either way, they didn't come to my door at 1 am, and I wasn't going to flag them at that time, but I'm hoping they could have been his owners (hunters obviously) looking for him.

So I'm going to print posters and put them in my local shops, I think hunters would see them.

He's not the Kilkenny dog unfortunately, his face/forehead marking is different. Here are some pics today :
    8461127220_189d36d7b6.jpg
    11-IMGP5694 by mountainsandheather, on Flickr
    I think he's more pointer than spaniel, his hair is smooth and short every where, and he's tall and slender.
    Could only manage to get his body when he was peeing, he kept moving too close every time... :o
    8460027515_bf558126cd.jpg
    05-IMGP5688 by mountainsandheather, on Flickr

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hes such a beautiful boy, and very lucky it was your door he found. I really hope he is lost and not abandoned, I wish I lived nearer and could help you out.

Im going to share the info on our local lost and found pages for you.

Give him hugs from us, would hope that if anything every happened to ourdogs someone like you would help.

Fingers crossed he finds his owners soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Mornin OP. He is looking much better. Great to see his eyes open and alert. Poor thing must have been wrecked. I will post on lost and found in my area (I am a fair bit away from you but you never know). With all the attention he is getting on boards he might get lucky!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Good stuff OP,
    He's definitely not a full Springer, looking at your new pics, his face is very Pointer-y. But I don't believe he's a full Pointer either. My first hunch was that he was a cross of the two, and seeing your pics now, I'm more convinced that's the case. This sort of cross is often deliberate, they call them "droppers", to get a mix of skills from both breeds in the hunting field.
    I would never associate a Dropper with being usedfor lamping, though Springers are used for it. Any pointing breed or mix thereof would be useless for lamping.
    Also, given the state of him, I don't believe he's been used for working for a while. He's just not strong enough, and no self respecting hunting person would show up for a day's shooting with a dog in such a state.
    The skin, the collar, the state of him... Would all lead any experienced rescue person to the same conclusion about what people this dog has spent his last few months with. They wouldn't be famous for having animal welfare at the top of their list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Poor pup :( OP you are a star for taking him in. I hope his story has a happy ending. Well done, not everyone would do what you did. He must have sensed kindness behind that door :) Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Aw he's lovely, poor little fella. Well done for taking him in.
    Thanks all, as I said I'm just doing what most of you I'm sure would do too, how could you just shut the door on him ?

You would be surprised at how many people wouldn't help! Actually I had the misfortune of listening to someone complain about an "annoying little f****r of a dog" who showed up outside her house one night. Apparently he wouldn't stop whining to get in until she threw water at him. The sickening thing is that this person is employed to care for dogs. So really, you're doing a lot more than some people would and he's a very very lucky little fella that he found you.

Advertisement