Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost dog knocked at my door, please all advice welcome

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Whispered wrote: »
    Aw he's lovely, poor little fella. Well done for taking him in.

You would be surprised at how many people wouldn't help! Actually I had the misfortune of listening to someone complain about an "annoying little f****r of a dog" who showed up outside her house one night. Apparently he wouldn't stop whining to get in until she threw water at him. The sickening thing is that this person is employed to care for dogs. So really, you're doing a lot more than some people would and he's a very very lucky little fella that he found you.

Jesus I hope my dog never comes in contact with someone like that! How could someone that works with dogs do that?! :confused::(

OP are there any rescues/shelters near you that you know of? If you don't have any luck with finding his owner is there somewhere that could help you?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You would not believe the lack if help I got from vets and animal shelters aswell as ignorance and rudeness when I found a poor lost dog on Friday.Seriously I felt like I had lost faith in humanity.Literally nobody would help me,I could not keep him as our own dog died this day last week and we are still very raw and simply not ready for another yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks every one you've all been great with the links and support.

I thought I'd hurry with the local search and got posters printed, and first port of call was forestry up my road since I had seen lamps there last night, was going to leave a poster on the forestry gate...

And in the field just on the way up there, were 3 fellows shouting his name, and sounding the horn for him :).

Now we all think the same about the condition of the dog, he's thin, has mange etc... but I have to say the young fellow who owned him really cared, he'd been out last night and the day searching high and low. (I saw them searching last night as I was going to bed, but obviously I wasn't going to approach anyone or bring anyone to my house at that time). This dog was part of a pack apparently, and young fellow said the local gun clubs call them, and they come up to help. They were down the road when the pack headed our way, and this fellow got left behind.
    I suppose they get mange from the foxes they hunt.

I really feel sorry for the dog being so thin and the mange, but he went away willingly, and if that's his life and the people do in their own way care for him, then so be it. I'm French, and have not seen in France animals being treated in that manner, but I'm sure there are some. He absolutely does not seem beaten or willfully mistreated, but some people definitely do not have the same notion as we all here probably have as regards the condition a dog should be in.

Now I have to update all the lost ads I put on online, dump all the filthy smelly old blankets and towels I had him in, and air my laundry shed :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Beautiful dog. Hate the fact he's used for hunting though.

Well done op on keeping him safe :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I'm glad he's been found, but it is very difficult to understand why they could let their dogs get in such a state.
    I see it all the time around here with the farm dogs. They are treated as livestock and it can be heartbreaking at time, especially to those of us who treat our dogs like they are our children.

• Advertisement

Yes, I can't understand that either. They just don't seem to see the ribs sticking out, and I asked the young fellow was he an indoor dog since he seemed so mad to get in the house, and he said yes, they were kept inside... I presume inside a shed/stable/kennels though, judging from the smell, and the mange (well I assume it's mange, or ringworm, or similar, peeling patches, crusts every where, with lots of pink/raw areas).

I told them if they ever loose dogs around my area to give me a call just in case.

I had dogs left behind after hunts before, but I didn't take them in as they were in way better condition (these were beagles, so a different hunt I guess), and would have destroyed my shed with their boisterousness if I had. Again they were collected 2/3 days later.

I've nothing against hunters that are operating legally, but I hate poachers, and we've had them here. I do wish all hunts had to have surprise vets inspections and guidance or something, it would just put my mind at rest.

His name was Tom and he was a real gentle fellow, loved the attention for the night. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Glad he's gone home, but I know what you mean about the way some people treat animals. I have taken in lots of dogs and cats and even the odd bird, and like you would never turn away animals in need, but it's hard to hand them back when you feel they are not being looked after right.
    At least the guy cared enough to stay out looking for him, that's something.
    You did a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I feel kind of sad that it ended this way, I was hoping he was a loved family pet who spent his nights lying by the fire, he looked so sad, even in the picture of him pee'ing!! I guess you're right OP, some peoples idea of caring for their pet isn't the same as others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sounds like the local gun clubs need shooting themselves, if they use outside dogs from time to time and don't do or say something about the condition of the dogs they see. If a hunter regards his dog as a tool rather than a pet, then it would be kept in a lot better condition than Tom. He wouldn't let his gun get into such a nasty state. :mad:

Glad you had a resolution to it though and I'd make sure your own animals don't go near where you kept him for a good while because it was mange he looks like he had the infectious type.

Yes, that's better than the dog just being dumped there anyway. I see it as a happy ending, what would have been heart breaking is if he had just been another dumped one. At least he has a home, although that may not be the sort of home we all have in mind for our pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

There are 2 stolen springers same colour on facebook,Ill have a look to see if I can find it.If you can try post pics there xxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

You have a heart of gold Mountainandh. I think the folks here have given some sound advice, so there is not much I can add to this. I think you have done more than anyone else in your place might have done, so a real pat in the back to you. My mam used to say when a stranger knocks on the door and asks for help, its actually angels/gods in disguise. I think you are going to go to heaven with what you done. Its people like you who make the world good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Ahh, so happy that his owners have been found. Was following this thread last night and began to search the lost dogs websites to see if there was anything on any of them. If they were out looking them must care. How long had he been missing for? Must have been for more than a couple of days as he appeared to be in a bad state. Poor little mite, made me swallow hard when I saw the pics.

You are a good soul, you will be rewarded. So nice that there are people out there that care.

Sounds like the local gun clubs need shooting themselves, if they use outside dogs from time to time and don't do or say something about the condition of the dogs they see. If a hunter regards his dog as a tool rather than a pet, then it would be kept in a lot better condition than Tom. He wouldn't let his gun get into such a nasty state. :mad:

Glad you had a resolution to it though and I'd make sure your own animals don't go near where you kept him for a good while because it was mange he looks like he had the infectious type.

Yes, I'm going to clean the area, my own don't really go in there anyway (a shed ? you must be joking :rolleyes:).

Yes, I've seen other hunters around with other dogs that seemed way better cared for. They'd be hopping around the place you couldn't put them in a shed, and would be thin and muscular but not as skinny as this fellow was, and with gorgeous coats. I had no worries about those beagles that were hanging around that time, they came and wolfed down a bit of food but had no issue other than when they were going to be collected. Tom seemed very gentle and I'm sure he would have loved a proper pet life, look at his eyes in the pic... :(

But there is no way I would go down the road of taking a dog from their rightful owner when they are indeed caring for it in their own way and looking for him.

It's a dilemna here in Ireland, in the countryside, and happened to me with a cat as well. He was obviously not cared for well and adopted our house, I tried getting his owners on board, they didn't keep it up, and the cat ended up living mostly at my place with all vet care, food, etc... coming from me. He vanished recently poor thing, think something bad happened to him, but in his case I would have been happy enough claiming him as mine as owners evidently didn't want anything to do with him. I didn't take him from them, I gave him basic care and attention and he wasn't even getting that from what should have been his home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Fair play OP. Such a nice thing to do. Glad to hear he wasnt abandoned but any owner who lets a dog get in that state is questionable imo. His eyes look to be in sh1te, pardon my french. Ive never seen a hunting dog in that sort of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

hunting dogs would always be thinner in hunting season but should nnot be covered in sores or have mange hope he's being looked after

boxerly wrote: »
    There are 2 stolen springers same colour on facebook,Ill have a look to see if I can find it.If you can try post pics there xxxxxx

Boxerly I have seen pics of the springers, one of them was very similar but it wasn't him :(.
    These look like cherished dogs, they're advertised everywhere, I really hope they do find them.

Let's look at the positives, for all the people who wouldn't help an animal in need, there's all the posters on this thread who would. Hope I never lose my two, I would hate the anguish of not knowing where they are.

The amount of dogs being stolen is very scary too. One of the men was asking me did we ever get broken into as we're pretty isolated, and remarked my little dog was the type to be stolen, I hope I haven't brought anything bad onto myself. They were very grateful and polite anyway, the young fellow even said "I've no money to give you here...", it wouldn't even cross my mind but I'm just hoping they're the right kind.

thanks again to all for all the support and advice, boards is great for that.

ah ok,just found the page on fb.Duke and Daisy. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Well done OP. Please don't worry, you have done all you could for the little fellow. If he perked up, remember that hunting dogs are typically lean to start with and even a day or two of straying in panic and dehydration can bring them down to a terrible looking level. I hope that he is looked after; they should do something about his skin but you have no control over that. You're such a good person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Glad to hear this story ended with Tom being returned home. You did everything possible for this dog, who chose you as a guardian last night. Don't worry about anybody stealing your dog. The guy was just trying to be "helpful". Irish men like to pretend its the middle ages when in nature. I think its a good sign the owner spent so much time looking for Tom. Well done.

• Advertisement

So that poor dog has an owner?and he is in that state? I know "some" people dont treat their hunting dogs as pets but that is just awful :((((((

As said above hunter dogs I've seen before are usually kept very lean... He was more than lean poor thing, but he had just spent some time out, and as I said, at least he wasn't afraid of the man, he was quite happy to go home.
    I wish we could change the ways of some people in the country but in the meantime, it's great that at least they went to the trouble of looking for their dog. Judging by the number of springers found I've seen last night, there seems to be many who don't bother to get them back.

Wouldn't it be great if I had kept quiet, said nothing, and found the dog a pet only home ? yeah, in fantasy. But that would have been like stealing the dog, hearing them outside calling, and me keeping him in there (imo).

percy212 wrote: »
    Glad to hear this story ended with Tom being returned home. You did everything possible for this dog, who chose you as a guardian last night. Don't worry about anybody stealing your dog. The guy was just trying to be "helpful". Irish men like to pretend its the middle ages when in nature. I think its a good sign the owner spent so much time looking for Tom. Well done.

Yeah, I reckon they were honest country men too. :) And here was me walking up the road with my little Shih tzu cross, in a spanking new raincoat complete with hood (first time he wore it ! he quite likes it), freshly groomed from the day before, dazzling white parts and talcum powder scent... quite comical actually, they must have thought I was such a townie. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Ha ha ha ha. Lucky dog! I hope it was Burberry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

boxerly wrote: »
    So that poor dog has an owner?and he is in that state? I know "some" people dont treat their hunting dogs as pets but that is just awful :((((((
    Here's a tip
    A fat hunting won't last quarter of a days hunting
    Kept lean and fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Here's a tip
    Kept lean and fit

And mangey?

I have no issues with lean and fit but imo a dog having mange is unacceptable, particularly as sarcoptic mange is pretty easily treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Here's a tip
    Kept lean and fit

All dogs should be kept lean and fit. Not just hunting dogs. However, mange and eyes/ears with sores around them doesnt help anyone. Next you'll tell me a mangey, suffering dog is better to hunt with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There is also a difference between being lean, and being emaciated. This dog was the latter, absolute skin and bone, and wasted, clearly lacking the strength of a fit, lean dog, which would not collapse after an evening's lamping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Dog has been wandering about
    It's gonna look rough but as for it weight issue pointers are lean dogs even a pointer/springer is lean

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dog has been wandering about
    It's gonna look rough but as for it weight issue pointers are lean dogs even a pointer/springer is lean

The dog had only been "wandering about" for a couple of hours?
    I think most of us know that working dogs/pointers/springers etc are lean. But like I said above, there's a huge difference between lean, and emaciated. This dog is emaciated. No muscle tone, and barely able to hold himself upright.
    This dog collapsed after only a couple of hours... Which strongly suggests he's simply not strong, fit, or nourished enough to take one nights' hunting.
    I'm assuming you're trying to argue for the side of shooters here? I have never seen a genuine hunter let his dog get into this state, and I don't think many here believe that these guys are genuine hunters. I'd hazard a guess that the local gun club know nothing about them, nor that they had permission to be on the land they were on.

Advertisement