Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Traveling by road in Africa

• 09-02-2013 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I will be undertaking a trip through central southern Africa by road in a few months.

Has anyone here ever undertaken such an adventure before? if you have I would be grateful for any tips you many have !!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've done Western Africa in a Renault 4.
    Have you been to Africa before? What kind of car are you bringing? Where are you going?
    Avoiding the rainy season is a good plan.
    • Don't drive at night.
    • Make sure the car is in good condition, and that you have the basic materials required to repair it
    • Bring some international drivers licenses, there's no limit to the number you can order. That way, if a bent official tries to get money out of you by holding your drivers license... well then he can keep it!
    • Have an open spirit. You're going to need the local's help to get where you're going, so don't fear them, better to get along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Thanks for your reply. No I have never been to Africa before but ive been to some fairly off the beaten track places in Asia and some fairly dodgy ones in the Middle East.

Nairobi to Cape Town, will have to source a fairly robust vehicle. Great tip on the drivers license, Thanks !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/50799-Democratic-Republic-of-Congo-Lubumbashi-to-Kinshasa

This is an epic trip if ever, it is a long read and as good as any book, they had some hair raising moments but it was a truly epic real modern day adventure by those two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Oh, OK, that should be easy then - you're in safe Africa, although a 'robust vehicle' might place some distance between you and the locals.

If it's a manual, higher gears are your friend, less likely to get stuck ;) Enjoy it, there ought to be some spectacular stuff out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Cheers. By robust I mean working engine, 4 good tyres, non cracked exhaust and a minimum of welding holding it together :D

Great link above re: Congo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You'll find a wealth of info here.

Advertisement