Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extending boundary wall/bigger garden

• 09-02-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

i live in a 3 bed semi D in a modern estate.

the house is the end house in a cul de sac.

there are no houses on one side of me i.e the estate boundary wall is on one side of me and over the wall is just a field.

i had a crazy notion of extending the garden by looking to buy a small strip of land like 8m X5m which would allow me push out the boundary wall, creating a bigger garden.

could i buy such a small strip of land?
    would there be issues with moving a boundary wall?
    would i need planning permission?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

There may be a reason for no house and only land on that side of your house.

There may have been a planning requirement for the developer/builders to have a specific amount of green area/land.

Therefore you would not be allowed to purchase that land and build on it.

Also that land could be someone elses land (apart from the developers) and be private and/or zoned for no building use and only for the likes of farming use or greenbelt use only.

So dont be too surprised to find this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RustyBridges

hi paddy147,

cheers for that.

it is actually agri land.
    there is also a gas line running across this field at the far end of it.
    the developer said i did not have to worry about houses been built there as he said you cannot build within 150m of a gas line?

i doubt a farmer would sell me a small strip of land anyhow.

if i was to be stubborn or stupid enough to inquire, how would i go about it?

cheers

Rustybridges

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

hi paddy147,

cheers for that.

it is actually agri land.
    there is also a gas line running across this field at the far end of it.
    the developer said i did not have to worry about houses been built there as he said you cannot build within 150m of a gas line?

i doubt a farmer would sell me a small strip of land anyhow.

if i was to be stubborn or stupid enough to inquire, how would i go about it?

cheers

Rustybridges

absolutely nothing subborn or stupid about it at all.

You are thinking of ways to legally make/have a bigger garden and thinking of buying a small strip of land and zoning that into your prperty/land..

I call that good thinking.:)

I would 1st try to track down the land owner and have a chat with them,and see if they would be prepared to sell you a small piece of the land for the purposes that you have in mind.

Explain to him or her that there would be no building/development on it...just to make a nicer bigger garden for you and your family..:)

If he or she says yes,then you proceed to the legal stage (estate agent/solicitor) so that the land is legaly sold to you and you have legally paid for it and now own it.:)

Best of luck with it.:)

Advertisement