Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumour scans misreading

Options
  • 09-02-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

In the past couple of years I have been hearing of 'all clear' scan readings given
    to cancer patients with subsequent misdiagnosis issues arising.
    Does anyone know what the protocols
    for reading scans are in the major hospitals in Ireland and has anyone ever received a CD of their scan which could be used for obtaining a second opinion?
    In the same context has anyone received a written report from their consultant or radiologist in respect of the above.

Geronimo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cant comment on scans for tumours but I had an mri scan two weeks ago for a disc problem, and I was given a cd of the scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I worked in breast cancer research in the UK for a few years and can tell you that false-positives and false-negatives (in relation to the detection of a tumour mass by breast mammography) have come under the spotlight in a big way recently. Specifically related to your own case, I imagine that you could get a second opinion ... and it's something that is certainly worth seeking.

In life, it's better to be proactive in getting things done for your own health ... ... and certainly not to take chances.

Good luck
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

geronimo wrote: »
    In the past couple of years I have been hearing of 'all clear' scan readings given
    to cancer patients with subsequent misdiagnosis issues arising.
    Does anyone know what the protocols
    for reading scans are in the major hospitals in Ireland and has anyone ever received a CD of their scan which could be used for obtaining a second opinion?
    In the same context has anyone received a written report from their consultant or radiologist in respect of the above.
    All radiology is double read. For the initial diagnosis and treatment plan the radiology would be discussed at a MDM (multidisiplinary meeting) along with all other results.

Even if you got a copy of your scan on CD I think you may have difficulty finding someone to 2nd read it without them having a copy of your medical records as well as copies of previous scans.
    Kevster wrote: »
    I worked in breast cancer research in the UK for a few years and can tell you that false-positives and false-negatives (in relation to the detection of a tumour mass by breast mammography) have come under the spotlight in a big way recently. Specifically related to your own case, I imagine that you could get a second opinion ... and it's something that is certainly worth seeking.
    Mammography is slightly different as it is primarily for screening. The false positive rate is huge but you want to make sure that everyone who does have something suspicious gets picked up so that further investigation can happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

As the previous poster has said, radiology has internal quality control and quality assurance procedures to prevent things being "missed". And the radiology report is discussed at a MDM with clinicians, surgeons, pathologists, oncologists, etc.

However, a patient is entitled to a second opinion if they want. They just may have to arrange it and pay for it, in not sure.
    There would be a radiology report in the patients chart which the patient could gain acess to under the FOI but reports require technical interpretation not just reading.

Patients getting an all clear from radiology and then subsequently having new tumours found isn't necessarily a fault of radiology. There are many reasons it could happen and different risk factors for each patient (type of tumour, surgical procedures, chemotherapy, etc). The clinicians should explain the risks and benefits if each.

Advertisement