Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing of rent increase

Options
  • 09-02-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice.

I've been renting an apartment since July 2012, and just received a letter from the management company that they are increasing the rent by 25€ pm. From a quick google search, I can see that a landlord is allowed to increase the rent once in every 12 month period, but does that mean that they aren't allowed to increase it until I've been here for 12 months? I can't seem to find the answer from citizens information or threshold.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

mthe lanlord or agent can only legally increase rent after one year. do not sgree to this until July

sorry about typing error as i am typing from iphone. he can only legallt increase rent from july once he gives you one months notice in writing. see prtb website

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Thanks, that was my reading of it too, it's good to know before contacting the landlord!

wel i am an agent so have to know the law

I'm a little surprised the management company are even trying this - they must be chancing their arm?

• Advertisement

i bet the landlord told them to put rent up to vover new property tsx. i have landlords rimging me to fo the same but i sdvise what is legal. some agents genuinelyndo not know the law

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Are you on a fixed term lease? If so then they cannot make any chances, period, until the lease has expired.

Not on fixed term, but having checked the legislation, I'm protected by section 20 of the residential tenancies act 2004 from rent review within the first 12 months of tenancy.

A carefully worded letter will be sent tomorrow!

good man! just quote the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

ladysarah wrote: »
    wel i am an agent so have to know the law
    Indeed. Unfortunately, your commendable attitude of knowing and adhering to the law would appear to be the exception among agents.

• Advertisement

the peobkem is most agents do not know the law . I was a witness at a PRTB tribunal lately and the adjudicater said the majority of agents do not know the law and she commented that I was qell up. The PRTB should majeevery agent take a cpursr re the lae.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I know you said youre typing from an iPhone but come on... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

djimi wrote: »
    I know you said youre typing from an iPhone but come on... :p

I don't even understand the last sentence :). 'Majeevery' could be 'make every' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

ladysarah wrote: »
    The PRTB should majeevery agent take a cpursr re the lae.
    Rasmus wrote: »
    I don't even understand the last sentence :). 'Majeevery' could be 'make every' ?

The PRTB should make every agent take a course re the law?

Do I get a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Todd Gack wrote: »
    The PRTB should make every agent take a course re the law?

Do I get a prize?

Yes I got it - I forgot to put the tongue in cheek smiley in.

apologies onlyj jusr got iphone)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

n0w o)ORie&s

Advertisement