Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART and Train noise in Raheny houses

Options
  • 09-02-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Can anybody help me to get an idea of the amount of noise from passing DART and commuter trains in Raheny?

I'm currently looking at properties in the area, particularly around Station road and am wondering if the noise is particularly loud, and how regular it is?

Basically I'd like to know if you'd be able to hear it in a house with double glazed windows and would it be enough to wake me or distract while I'm in the house.

Thanks,

Ray

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

R_Madz wrote: »
    how regular it is?

on weekdays there's a DART every 15 mins in each direction, so 8 DARTs an hour past your window. Plus you would have Drogheda Commuter, Belfast intercity, and Tara Mines freight trains passing by in Raheny also. Probably the busiest stretch of line in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭markpb

My friends own a house that's about 50m from the Dart line between Killiney and Shankill. Any time I visited, Darts were almost unnoticeable because they're quite quiet while in motion. There's a little more noise from the diesel suburban trains but it wasn't loud enough to bother me, interrupt a conversation or anything like that. Like any similar situation, you'll get used to it and, after a few days, won't even notice them.

I'd imagine it's a little more noisy if you're close to the station but still, it shouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Monkeyboots

I live about 50m meters from the line and as a previous post states, if the house is near the station the trains have already slowed and are virtually unnoticable.
    This was a big factor for us when we were buying the house so you are right to check it out, but as I say unless you are looking at a house that is right between two dart station (Station Rd is not) you'll will be fine. Overall we are very happy with our move to Raheny, its nice place to live with great facilities. :)
    FYI a relative of mine lives right between killester and harmonstown station and his house actually virbrates when a train goes by, I cant believe the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

I used to live in Raheny, and had friends that lived on Grange Park Cresent whose house backed on to the railway lines. Every time trains passed all the glasses/cups in the cupboards used to rattle. Thing was they got used to it and never took notice.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 R_Madz

Thanks everyone for your input on the train noise.

It seems like the closer to the station the lower the noise and it's something I'd get accustomed to - I'm from a big city anyhow so no noise but the sound of birds would probably be more difficult to get used to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

I lived at the corner of station road in an apartment that was on the ground floor and I never heard the DARTS. It is a lovely area to live in and Station Road is close to the shops in the village.

Advertisement