Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in a university as a tutor

• 09-02-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello again,

If anyone can help me, please do!!!!!! I am looking for information or experiences that people had in working in an university setting. Also would you be able to tell me how you managed to get the job.

Reason is I see on jobs.co.ac.uk lots of jobs advertised for people working as a tutor in UK universities but I can't find jobs/sites like that here in Ireland.
    Pretty frustrating. I am well - qualified, no phd, but MA and dip and good working experience.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

lablib wrote: »
    Hello again,

If anyone can help me, please do!!!!!! I am looking for information or experiences that people had in working in an university setting. Also would you be able to tell me how you managed to get the job.

Reason is I see on jobs.co.ac.uk lots of jobs advertised for people working as a tutor in UK universities but I can't find jobs/sites like that here in Ireland.
    Pretty frustrating. I am well - qualified, no phd, but MA and dip and good working experience.

In Ireland, tutors often tend to be postgrad students that pick up the work on a casual basis. I've worked as a university tutor for years. Terrible pay. No benefits. No pay over holidays. Believe me, it's not as glamorous as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lablib

Hey Thanks for your reply.

I suppose that is the difference between the UK and here, the jobs are for phd students and postgrads so.

Would you have any experience of the UK or know anyone over there who had this experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

lablib wrote: »
    Hey Thanks for your reply.

I suppose that is the difference between the UK and here, the jobs are for phd students and postgrads so.

Would you have any experience of the UK or know anyone over there who had this experience?

Just so we are clear, I'm not doing a postgrad and work as a tutor but a lot of tutors are doing postgrads. I LOVE the work but the poor pay is a killer.

No experience of the UK at all I'm afraid.

Advertisement