Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rook Piercing

• 10-02-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could help me out with some info about rook piercings. I have a few other piercings so i'm not worried about the pain factor and i'm used to the healing & cleaning process.
    I like the look of rook piercings but don't like a very heavy barbell or ring. Ideally I would like something that looked like either of these:

37c335e2780241b00b1f444.jpg

b94e77f997f3b73d46471c9.jpg

I know the top one is a daith but it's just to give an idea of type of jewellery i'm after. Does anyone know if it's possible to get something like this in a surgical steel or titanium? Will a piercer even consider putting something like this in a piercing straight off?
    Thanks for any info/advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Depends on the piercer, whether they will allow you to bring your own jewellery with you. When I got my rook done the piercer measured the size of mine and chosen a barbell a little longer than that, so I could move it around for cleaning and heal it easier.

Best drop into your piercer and ask of you can buy your own jewellery first, and what size to get. The other option if they say it's best to use theirs, is to just wait the 6 week healing period and then you can change out from the starter jewellery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I have the heart shaped bar in my rook. When I got mine pierced, the piercer put in a normal bar (not sure of the size) into my ear for a month. When I asked him why the heart couldn't be placed in straight away, he straight out said it would delay the healing and would cause a massive amount of pain for me. Mine is also titanium, and the guy who did mine sized my ear and measured it out specifically for my ear.

I have mine in now for four months and I adore it :) Still hurts at times, and it's a nightmare when my hair gets caught in it, sleeping on it can also be a bit iffy, but I love it still and wouldn't change it! My favourite piercing so far!! :D

Where did you buy the heart? I kinda want one now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Smc30

Thanks so much for the great replies!
    IHeartChemistry, did you swap the piece of jewellery yourself or did you go back to your piercer and get them to change it for you? And also, where did you get your heart? Etsy is packed with them but they seem to be mostly silver or gold, any other piercing I've had has been either surgical steel or titanium, i'd be a bit iffy about putting in anything else

Smc30 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the great replies!
    IHeartChemistry, did you swap the piece of jewellery yourself or did you go back to your piercer and get them to change it for you? And also, where did you get your heart? Etsy is packed with them but they seem to be mostly silver or gold, any other piercing I've had has been either surgical steel or titanium, i'd be a bit iffy about putting in anything else

Went back to my piercer. He changed it for me and he was also the one that made it for me. He reshapes a normal titanium ring into the shape, so I felt way happier getting it done then! An awful lot of parlours seem to be running the heart bar deal now at the moment, and mine only cost me €50! Well worth it :D

• Advertisement

Went back to my piercer. He changed it for me and he was also the one that made it for me. He reshapes a normal titanium ring into the shape

That sounds great, means that you know its definitely titanium and you don't have to change it yourself. Do you mind me asking where you got it done?

I can't change my own rook bar, the barbells are really damn tight!

Smc30 wrote: »
    That sounds great, means that you know its definitely titanium and you don't have to change it yourself. Do you mind me asking where you got it done?

I got it done in Hard Knox in Limerick! The piercer's name is Doug! Couldnt recommend him highly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭piercingdanny

<shill>

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AOIFE CLARE

Don't get a heart bar in there first, it'll delay the healing! Have a curved bar for the first two months then depending on how it's healed you can change it

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the responses. I notice all of you got bars and not rings. Any particular reason? The piercer I was chatting to about this said he would put in a ring first and that I could 'train' the ring to sit against the ear, if that makes sense. Is a bar better to start with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's a lot less movement with a bar, which makes it easier for a new piercing to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 spacelucy

I was advised to get a bar first, as it's less likely to catch on things which will irritate the piercing. I found this was pretty much true, and believe me it hurts enough without having to put up with it catching on things too! It's definitely my favourite piercing though. Good luck, if you haven't had it done already!

Advertisement