Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frogs and garden ponds

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

Spotted the frogs returning to the ponds in the garden today for the first time this year. (First time Ive noticed them at least)

They havent spawned yet but it wont be long now, Im sure. :)

Had a look tonight and managed to get a few pics.

So I wondered if anyone else has seen frogs in their ponds yet?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Nope, but found a rather big fella in the turf pile,

Had to rebuild a section of turf I pulled down for burning to give him back his shelter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Oh Lucky You! I would love to have a pond with frogs. I live in Dublin city however and I would probably only be driven mad trying to protect them from cats, herons and other predators even if I did have a pond.
    Frogs are such amazing creatures have you ever really looked at their eyes, they have gold in them. I had a pet frog as a child, it lived out in the back garden for a few years, probably its whole lifespan. This probably ahem spawned my lifelong love of frogs.
    If you liked you could help with the survey being done to measure the distribution and numbers of frogs in Ireland. See below
    The first record of frogs spawning in Ireland has been recieved by the Irish Peatland Conservation Council as part of our Hop-to-It-Frog Survey Ireland 2013. The frog spawn was spotted on the 8th January in Co. Cork. With World Wetlands Day approaching on the 2nd February the Irish Peatland Conservation Council (IPCC) are encouraging you to visit, explore and discover the beauty and biodiversity of your local wetland. While there keep an eye out for the Common Frog (Rana temporaria) and take part in IPCC’s Hop-to-it-Frog Survey Ireland 2013. Another great place to spot breeding frogs is in your garden, especially if you have a garden pond.

It’s easy to get involved, you can contact the Irish Peatland Conservation Council at the Bog of Allen Nature Centre on telephone 045-860133 or e-mail bogs@ipcc.ie and leave your name and address and we will send you a frog survey Ireland 2013 card. Alternatively complete an online frog survey card.
    http://www.ipcc.ie/join-the-frog-survey-ireland-2013-frog-spawn-spotted/

Advertisement