Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salon went out of business - Voucher?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I got a voucher for Christmas, and just found out that the salon closed last week - but she's still doing nails, presumably out of her house or something.

Legally can I get the value of the voucher back? (Not looking for good luck with that/not likely's etc.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the company is closed and ceased trading then the voucher is gone. If she just moved premises and is still trading as the same company name then you "should" be able to redeem the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

She's still trading, but not in what the voucher is for.

"unfortunately we closed this week. I do the Gel nails and can offer you that service but I am no longer in the salon."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The voucher is linked to the business/company, not to the person. If the business behind the salon is closed, then the voucher is gone too. If the company is still in operation, even if the nature of the business has changed, then you still have a voucher for that business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If the salon was operated by a company, any claim you might have would likely to be against a liquidator, and the chances of your getting anything would be small, probably not worth pursuing.

If the business was operated by a sole trader, then she has a direct liability to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Legally, you have no real recourse.

Realistically, its one person who is still doing something else. You might be able to prevaricate a bit and get something, like the gel nails or something like that. Worth trying anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. It's just very annoying. I really think there should be some law to prevent voucher sales or to redeem part of their value when companies are going bust. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

is this company in drumcondra by any chance if so my gf has the same problem

No, it's in Galway I'm afraid

Advertisement