Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing lease with significant other

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I are talking about moving in together. If we both sign a 1 year lease and the relationship falls apart after 6 months, what situation are we in legally?

Let's say one of us moves out after 6 months - does the rent become the sole responsibility of the person still living in the property? Or are we both still legally responsible for our half of the rent even if we're both not living there?

Many thanks,

Sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's one of those worry about it when it happens things Sam.

Legally though its who's name is on the lease. Reality though go and talk to the landlord if the relationship goes tits up and explain the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

In real life what happens is you both move out, giving a months notice. The LL is very unlikely to chase either party for the remaining rent on the lease, in fact I have never heard of it happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

My advise as an agent under PRTB law is both of you move put but only when the prpperty has been relet. By law once a tenancy agreement is signed for a certain period the landlord is entitled to full rent for that period and you cannot give a months notice unless replacement tenants have been found. Well done for thinking this through and I would advise you make an agreement between ypurselves on what would happen if thongs didnot work out ie would either party have a potential friend to move in or would you sub- let with the landlord's permission. Good luck and enjpy moving in together.

Advertisement