Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Juliet HM, 10k and 3k 16th Feb

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a good crowd signed up for these races in Kilkenny on Saturday the 16th. I know its the first year of them, so there's probably very little to go on, but has anyone any information on the races?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I know the original route has been changed.The half is now 2 loops of the 10k plus a bit. It starts in Mt.Juliet estate and then comes out onto the roads.Theres a mother of a hill at around 3 miles as far as i can remember and its pretty much up and down after that.You have the pleasure/displeasure of that mother of a hill a second time also:D
    I think NoGutsNoGlory on here is pacing 90 mins so,if he picks up on this thread,he can offer more info.
    http://connect.garmin.com/course/2823021

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Whatsthisabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Toughest 10k I ever ran, what a course. Great event though, very well organised! And a nice bit of grub afterwards too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Yeah, tough old half marathon, although my training for Connemara must be paying off as I got a PB today which I'm delighted with !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Tough race indeed. Did the half myself. 3 significant, tough hills on the course, which of course we had to negotiate twice! Second hill on second lap almost broke me as i slowed to a walk. Some kind support from a fellow runner put me back in the zone again and i managed to get a pb somehow on what is definitely not a pb course.

Nice food afterwards, nice setup overall, but the parking and race start could be improved. Plenty of water, marshalling was good out on the course, but not so good for last half mile towards the end, where the back markers in the 10k got in the way (thru no fault of their own).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Did it today too with a PB but the hills were a killer. Thought is was really good value race goody-bag, marshalling and food afterwards all great. Parking was a bit mucky but that was really the weather. Only minor criticism was slightly poor marshalling at the start of the 10K- the coral was left open and people wandered forward delaying the start a bit. Would definitely recommend again!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bejaysus

I found it a tough 10k too and a good challenge due to the hills but was surprised with my time in the end.

Good value, goody bag, timing, food, bouncy castle for the kids and good scenery. No medal but no big deal.

Hiccup at the 10k start having to move everyone back a fair distance to the starting line and a crowded start at that but you could run on the grass verges if you needed to get ahead. A start segregated into expected finishing times would of been great and easily done.

Felt sorry for the people on the last 500m of the half marathon who had to maneuver cars leaving the yellow and green car parks and people who were making their way back to the car parks on the running route.

Considering it's their first time holding a 10k/half marathon it was well organised and I'll be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Fair play to ye getting a PB on that course, well impressed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

bejaysus wrote: »
    I found it a tough 10k too and a good challenge due to the hills but was surprised with my time in the end.

Good value, goody bag, timing, food, bouncy castle for the kids and good scenery. No medal but no big deal.

Hiccup at the 10k start having to move everyone back a fair distance to the starting line and a crowded start at that but you could run on the grass verges if you needed to get ahead. A start segregated into expected finishing times would of been great and easily done.

Felt sorry for the people on the last 500m of the half marathon who had to maneuver cars leaving the yellow and green car parks and people who were making their way back to the car parks on the running route.

Considering it's their first time holding a 10k/half marathon it was well organised and I'll be back next year.
    mush500 wrote: »
    Did it today too with a PB but the hills were a killer. Thought is was really good value race goody-bag, marshalling and food afterwards all great. Parking was a bit mucky but that was really the weather. Only minor criticism was slightly poor marshalling at the start of the 10K- the coral was left open and people wandered forward delaying the start a bit. Would definitely recommend again!
    @ mush 500 and bejaysus. Apologies for the 10k start confusion. I was one of the marshals at the start(not involved in the organisation of the event).Myself and one other guy were marshalling the start of the half marathon. There were supposed to be marshals on the 10k start also but these never materialised-dont know why yet:confused:. Because of this,I spent a considerable time sorting 10k runners out of the half marathon pack at the start and telling them where their start was.When the half got underway,as was said,all the 10k crowd moved forward.This could have been avoided if there had been marshals in place and the starts were more clearly marked.Myself and the other marshal then had to go back and try to sort the 10k start.-2 marshals,700 people.Anyways,we did our best so,again,apologies,and hope it did'nt detract too much from your overall experience. Im sure there will be a debrief of the event and I will be raising these points to ensure a smoother start for next year;)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Fair play johnny you did a great job at the start... ... tough routes .. all PB's well earned and deserved...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

I think you and the other marshalls did a great job Johnny- especially getting the crowd back to where they were meant to be. Great to hear about a proper debrief think this event has the potential to be even better in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

Why was the entry fee for the half marathon so expensive?I heard at first they were going to charge 50euros? Did all that entry fee go straight to charity? I competed in the charleville half marathon back in sept and that was 25euro.I really think in these harsh economic times that the entry fees for some races are way over the top.I would love to compete in this next year,would be hard to break my pb of 69.40 on that course but its a really nice course.Well done to Tom hogan on a fine win

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

surprised u didnt enter david .. on your door step and you run it every day . entry was 40e ,, a bit steep but in line with most of the halfs - wexford / clontarf etc... charleville half was good value but if you count in petrol money (must be at least 50 miles each way from thomastown) and stopping for a meal. it all adds up ........
    clonmel half is 20e i think.. great event... MJ made a contribution to an cois nore - cancer charity .. i heard it was a fiver a head but not sure.. .. good day out .. a few hiccups but they will learn for next year.. very large numbers for the first year..

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

surprised u didnt enter david .. on your door step and you run it every day . entry was 40e ,, a bit steep but in line with most of the halfs - wexford / clontarf etc... charleville half was good value but if you count in petrol money (must be at least 50 miles each way from thomastown) and stopping for a meal. it all adds up ........
    clonmel half is 20e i think.. great event... MJ made a contribution to an cois nore - cancer charity .. i heard it was a fiver a head but not sure.. .. good day out .. a few hiccups but they will learn for next year.. very large numbers for the first year..

No i did not enter because im 2 months out of the orthotics and not long back from a long injury spell and the fact im only 2 months out of the orthotics i have to gradually build up my training slowly as it takes a while for the body to adjust and the half marathon would be too much too soon especially given the pace i would run it at.The orthotics im glad to be rid of now thanks to Anthony.My coach has me on a program at the moment in conjunction with a strength program done on a slant board that anthony geoghegan devised and it is helping alot.Im gradually getting my fitness levels back up again and will start out with some short races in the coming weeks and build up to longer distances as the year progresses.It takes time and patience but im getting there.Hoping to do the marathon next year and want to improve my times in the half marathon over the summer.
    Glad the event went well and glad it went to a good cause.It came at a bad time for me and im disapointed not to have been ready to compete in that but theres plenty more.Gotta love the hill up by the 10th fairway thats a killer haha.

Advertisement