Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBook deals!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just finishing it. Decent story. Not sure where it is leading though.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, currently on Children of Time which is also a real page turner. Only my second book by this author but he strikes me as a really reliable source for an entertaining read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Harika

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just finishing it. Decent story. Not sure where it is leading though.

Great ending, will read more from him

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

smacl wrote: »
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, currently on Children of Time which is also a real page turner. Only my second book by this author but he strikes me as a really reliable source for an entertaining read.
    'Children of Ruin', recently released, is an excellent sequel.

I'd be a big fan of Tchaikovsky - he's able to jump into multiple genres, imaginative, entertain and be very prolific at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ann Leckie The Raven Tower 99c on Kindle and play books, reviews are great

sweetie wrote: »
    They might be but after the endless tea ceremonies of her Ancillary series, I just can't be bothered any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

ixoy wrote: »
    They might be but after the endless tea ceremonies of her Ancillary series, I just can't be bothered any more.

Ann Leckie is on my "to read" list, are they really that bad?

I was able to gloss over the braid tugging in the Wheel of Time, can that be done with these too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Ann Leckie is on my "to read" list, are they really that bad?

I was able to gloss over the braid tugging in the Wheel of Time, can that be done with these too?

If you like things to happen in your books, then no. I read the first and it was a slog.
    I did pick up Raven Tower on sale but haven't started it yet though.

mcgovern wrote: »
    If you like things to happen in your books, then no. I read the first and it was a slog.
    I did pick up Raven Tower on sale but haven't started it yet though.

Ah, cheers. I don't mind a slog if it's worth the effort. However, if it's all tea ceremony and no action then I'll pass!

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Ah, cheers. I don't mind a slog if it's worth the effort. However, if it's all tea ceremony and no action then I'll pass!
    There's very little action. Some interesting ideas in the first but the second was a real slog. The third book was okay but the amount of tea would have pissed even Mrs. Doyle off.

There's very little action. Some interesting ideas in the first but the second was a real slog. The third book was okay but the amount of tea would have pissed even Mrs. Doyle off.

Thanks! The series has moved well down the reading list now.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote:

Just finished it there. Not great at all unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

sweetie wrote: »

Reviews are great for everything on Amazon at this stage. I definitely wouldn't let amazon reviews be the determining factor as to whether I would buy a book or not.
    I have seen awful tripe given 5 star reviews.

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    Reviews are great for everything on Amazon at this stage. I definitely wouldn't let amazon reviews be the determining factor as to whether I would buy a book or not. I have seen awful tripe given 5 star reviews.

I wasn't actually referring to Amazon reviews, I'm not that stupid

New Spring, the Wheel of Time prequel novella, is free on Tor.com until Saturday @ 5am.

Seems to be a sale on at the moment on Kindle:
    Dust of Dreams (Malazan 9) by Steven Erikson - £1.99
    Europe in Autumn by David Hutchinson - 99p. Critically acclaimed but wasn't my cup of tea.
    Priest of Bones by Peter McLean - 99p. Peaky Blinders with magic, I enjoyed this one.
    The Line of Polity by Neal Asher (Agent Cormac 2) - 99p. Big fan of this series.
    Ruin (The Faithful and The Fallen Series Book 3) by John Gywnne - 99p. I've only read the first in the series so far but I liked it.
    The Last Colony (Old Man's War Book 3) by John Scalzi - 99p. I have most of these but haven't gotten around to reading them yet, but they are pretty popular.
    Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel - 99p. Another critically aclaimed one that I didn't love, end of the world dystopia.
    Semiosis by Sue Burke - £1.99. Story of a human colony struggling to survive on a planet with some unusal native life, I enjoyed it.
    Vengeful by V.E. Schwab - 99p. Young adulty super hero novel, sequel to Vicious.
    The Long Mars: (Long Earth 3) by Stephen Baxter & Terry Pratchet - 99p. Also somehow not got around to reading this series, seems to get mixed reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Seems to be a sale on at the moment on Kindle:
    [

First of the month means the new kindle monthly books go on sale. Good list btw - you should add Uprooted to it. It's excellent.

Lies Sleeping by Ben Aarontovich, the most recent book in the Rivers of London series, is down to 99p. Audubile naration can be added for an extra £6.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Lies Sleeping by Ben Aarontovich, the most recent book in the Rivers of London series, is down to 99p. Audubile naration can be added for an extra £6.99.
    Brilliant. Thanks for this. Love the series but I hadn't bothered to get this one yet. I think it's sort of lost it's momentum a bit. But for this price, I'll definitely pick it up and give it a go.

Also Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine by Hannah Fry is 99p today too https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0785PY2Q4/

Some decent December deals:

'Arcanum Unbound: The Cosmere Collection' by Brandon Sanderson, which collects a series of short stories and novellas set in his various linked Cosmere worlds. Really enjoyed these.

'Pandora's Star' by Peter F. Hamilton, the first book in the Commonwealth series which is the setting for the vast body of his work. Great series and begging for an insane budget to put it on the big screen.

'The Powdermage Trilogy' by Brian McClellan - Good gun-powder fantasy, in the mould of Brandon Sanderson. The e-book here collects all three books in the trilogy for £3.42, which is significantly cheaper than buying even one of the individual books.

Some decent December deals:

'Arcanum Unbound: The Cosmere Collection' by Brandon Sanderson, which collects a series of short stories and novellas set in his various linked Cosmere worlds. Really enjoyed these.

'Pandora's Star' by Peter F. Hamilton, the first book in the Commonwealth series which is the setting for the vast body of his work. Great series and begging for an insane budget to put it on the big screen.

'The Powdermage Trilogy' by Brian McClellan - Good gun-powder fantasy, in the mould of Brandon Sanderson. The e-book here collects all three books in the trilogy for £3.42, which is significantly cheaper than buying even one of the individual books.

Cheers for that. All three are similar price on play store and can be bought using phone credit.

• Advertisement

Poppy wars book 2; dragon republic ,99p on Amazon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Current ebook deals from Penguin:
    https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/cc/ebook-deals/

Of the Scifi/Fantasy I'd recommend Brief Jobs by Jim Butcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hogfather by Terry Pratchett is 99p on Kindle today.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Spinning Silver is 99p on Kindle today. Didn't like it as much as Uprooted, but it's still worth a read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Glebee

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Glebee wrote: »
    Cracking book; I have a paper copy or I'd buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It's been over 3 years since since I read it, great excuse to get it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

When I read it I remember that it seemed like a bit of a scene was happening in fantasy, wasn't that around the same time as Joe Abercrombie and Patrick Rothfuss were going strong...

I liked it, felt very polished, some great set pieces and so on...

Never read any of the sequels though. Hmm....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

When I read it I remember that it seemed like a bit of a scene was happening in fantasy, wasn't that around the same time as Joe Abercrombie and Patrick Rothfuss were going strong...

I liked it, felt very polished, some great set pieces and so on...

Never read any of the sequels though. Hmm....
    Sequels are generally seen as weaker (I love them) but the meta story is very ho hum i it's direction with some odd turns.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was a downward curve after the first book. I was too stubborn to give up on it but by the time I had finished the last one I was relieved.

Advertisement