Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange new job

Options
  • 10-02-2013 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have taken a job and i'm getting worried about something I havent been given a contract yet but also which is even stranger the person in accounts won't take my P45, they said they are waiting for someone to tell them, in the meantime I'm working away answering the phone and getting on with things, is there anyway I can get in touch with revenue and tell them i am working in this place its been two weeks now. I'm not majorly concerned about the contract but the fact that this person in accounts won't even take my P45 is sounding the alarm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Conor_1978

Keep records of hours worked, use your smart phone to take a pic every day of something with the date on it in the office, ie: Computer screen with RTE news or something on it, that shows the office behind the pc or something similar, basically evidence that you were there working on those days.
    Ring Citizens Advice bureau and get their take, and ring the revenue office, telling them where you are working etc, that way if anything dodgy is going on, there's records of it. Also the revenue can tell you if the company has set you up on the system (this can happen without a P45).

AT least then if they are just using you for some free help or something and don't take you on, you have evidence to show that you were there working, and they were pulling a fast one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

First off, you should be given a proper contract of employment within 2 months of starting work. So there is still time for them to issue one, however personally I would not continue to work without a contract, and would go so far as to say I wouldn't even start work until the contract was given to me and I knew what my T&Cs were prior to starting. So if I were you I would be pushing them to hurry up and issue a contract. I would be just as concerned about this as the other issue if I were you.

Secondly as to the P45 - sounds a bit iffy 'waiting for someone to tell them'...tell them what exactly? Then again, it could be a misunderstanding. If you left your job before 31st Dec 2012, then your P45 is not relevant to the current tax year and as such is redundant. The P45 is only necessary if you change jobs in the current tax year. As to your question, yes you can contact revenue directly. You will need the employer PAYE number and your PPS number. Give them the date you started and they will send out a tax cert to the company so that they can tax your salary accordingly.

TBH I think you need to speak to HR your direct manager or the person who hired you and get a contract from them and advise them of the difficulties you have had with payroll. It could be that payroll are not allowed to add anyone to the system without authorisation from a manager, and they haven't been given this. In which case, after 2 weeks you need to chase this up yourself, otherwise it could be another 2 weeks before it is resolved in which case you will have missed the next payday.

Advertisement