Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

complaint from customer

Options
  • 10-02-2013 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

hi ya

recently moved to a customer facing role and I got a complaint from a customer on Thursday. First time ever this has happened to me.

Bascially I work in the public sector and we deal with the public at a counter. One young gent called in on Thursday and to a get document dealt with and I was assisting him. He was confused over what year the document related to and so I started to explain to him what the document related to. Anyway long story short he accused me of talking down to him and shaking my head and rolling my eyes at him. He asked for my supervisor. I called her over and she immediately sat down and asked what his complaint was. The guy didnt say anything but then shook my hand and left.

Anyway this is still bugging me. I honestly dont think I did anything wrong or said anything wrong. My supervisor and manager said to ignore it as these things happen. I am worried about it though. It is a public office and everyone could hear the conversation I was having with the guy so I hope if I did or said anything wrong someone would say something to me.

I just feel awful that a customer would think that I was behaving like that to them??? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Customers are mental. Having dealt with them for ten years expect perfectly normal people to behave like petulant children. You simply can't please everyone. Just be as conscious as you can of your body language and tone and try and get some training.

That said your manager were right on the money. Forget about it - these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

it is possible at a sub-conscious level you may have used words and actions which could have been interpreted as derogatory....especially as you are new to dealing with the public.

if this did happen try to be more aware of what you say/do...and in time you will not have accusations like this.

as the previous poster said and your supervisor - many members of the public behave like children if they dont get everything their way, unfortunately you cannot confront them as it would look bad but you have every right to call them on it.

There's no reason why you can't involve your supervisor if/when it happens next time and explain to the person that they are making allegations against you and you would like the opportunity to defend yourself .... treat those people with manners and respect but be firm with them - if you have done nothing wrong then you could always insist on an apology....kind of puts them in their place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

If your manager is satisfied the complaint is unfounded, then that's the end of the story. You are vindicated.
    Your manager is right, these things happen. Customer facing staff in the public sector will come across all sorts, from people coming in being pleasant to aggression and rudeness.
    Forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

thanks for the replies. I think I will try and forget about it. I have gone through it in my head and maybe I was a little too eager to assist the person when they maybe didnt want me to assist them. Some people dont want help and just want to be right I think. I am there a few months now and while the vast majority of people are lovely to deal with I am surprised by the amount of lies and rudeness myself and my colleagues are subjected to.

I have been told I am too helpful....and maybe some people dont like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyway long story short he accused me of talking down to him and shaking my head and rolling my eyes at him. He asked for my supervisor. I called her over and she immediately sat down and asked what his complaint was. The guy didnt say anything but then shook my hand and left.
    Sounds like the dude has a persecution complex, asked for your boss to try to get one over on you, you called his bluff and got the boss over, so he fecked off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Try and not let it worry u , u have gone through it yourself and your manager if she thought there was an issue would have told u . Some customers can be "difficult" for no reason , some like a scene but there will always be the nice ones which will "hopefully" make your customer facing role more fulfilling and dare I say it enjoyable .

Advertisement