Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we alone.... The answer is ''Yes''

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Without some idea of what a television was, you'd have absolutely no idea what that amplitude modulation of pulses meant though. They'd still be utterly meaningless.

All you'd know is its a signal of some kind.

They'd have to understand that it was controlling a display made of lines, that those lines represented a visual image.

They may not even see the same way we do. Could be looking at different spectrum of radiation etc etc

Digital signals would probably look even more obviously artificial than analogue ones did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its pretty arrogant to think that radio waves are a universal form of communication, even if an alien race did use it once, it could have been thousands of years ago.
    If a carrier pigeon arrived on your window sill with a message, would you know what the hell was going on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Solair wrote: »
    Without some idea of what a television was, you'd have absolutely no idea what that amplitude modulation of pulses meant though. They'd still be utterly meaningless.

All you'd know is its a signal of some kind.

They'd have to understand that it was controlling a display made of lines, that those lines represented a visual image.
    like I said there are obvious line and frame pulses (and colour burst signals) in an analog signal
    Digital signals would probably look even more obviously artificial than analogue ones did.
    no, digital signals look like pink noise

same as white noise but over a narrower set of frequencies.

Have you ever heard the noise a modem makes on handshaking ?

unless you know the demodulation it's just noise
    even if you know the demodulation it's just ones and zeros
    even if you can figure out the packets and streams it's still a lot of work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Its pretty arrogant to think that radio waves are a universal form of communication, even if an alien race did use it once, it could have been thousands of years ago.
    If a carrier pigeon arrived on your window sill with a message, would you know what the hell was going on?

Electromagnetic communication, rather than radio, is an all encompassing term meaning any signal attached to the the electromagnetic spectrum including light ( which we use to send information too). Sometimes technology comes against practical or theoretical limits. You can't go back in time to carrier pigeons, compare to now, and extrapolate forward. If you can think of something more exotic than the electromagnetic spectrum - you would need to prove it.

Also SETI isn't looking for TV signals. The attenuation would be too high. It's looking for direct signals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also SETI isn't looking for TV signals. The attenuation would be too high. It's looking for direct signals.
    Radar

possibly 50Hz / 60Hz mains - oddly enough this will actually get louder as more grids get synchronised together

don't forget we are competing with the emissions from Jupiter and that big ball of plasma that keeps ejecting stuff , and I don't think anyone is planning on using x-rays for communication, and even if they did it would be for very low power point to point links

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Radar

possibly 50Hz / 60Hz mains - oddly enough this will actually get louder as more grids get synchronised together

don't forget we are competing with the emissions from Jupiter and that big ball of plasma that keeps ejecting stuff , and I don't think anyone is planning on using x-rays for communication, and even if they did it would be for very low power point to point links

Actually due to HV-DC interconnectors that are becoming more common (eg out links to the UK), there's less need than ever before to synchronise grids.

So, I'd say in 30 years you'll seen lots of 50Hz (or 60Hz) grids operating independently from each other.

It's being made possible by massive improvements and cost reductions in solid state power technology.

It seems the more technology progresses the less noise its likely to transmit into space.

I would suspect though that we do give off a rather large 50Hz & 60Hz hum. I wonder how detectable it is.

Power usage is certainly growing rapidly. I mean for example all of China's development must be producing lost of 50Hz buzzing!

Advertisement