Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100k a year good or great for melbourne

Options
  • 10-02-2013 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Is a salary of 100k not as good as one might think for melbourne, I have seen jobs in my field paying this much and its for a normal working week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Is it just yourself? and what's your lifestyle?

$100K would be alright for Sydney so I am sure it's much the same for Melbourne, all depends on how much you spend. Plenty of people still manage it on a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It would go 25% further in Melbourne than Sydney in a rough estimate.

Its a good wedge unless your missus works King street and your running a tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Good.
    But obviously depends on your outgoings and whether you're free and single or not.

As Mandrake said, its cheaper to live here than in Sydney, depends on what lifestyle you're already used to here in Oz or the one that you want to lead here if you're coming from overseas.
    Rent will be your biggest expense. Unless you find a share house/apt, you're looking at $320+ a week for a 1 bed basic, $500+ 2 bed, in st Kilda/port melbourne. Cheaper if you head north of yarra or 15km out. These are unfurnished also.
    If you're a social butterfly, drinking & eating out 3,4 night a week will add up here also. Gigs aren't that cheap here either, cinema can be 18$. But you may already know this.
    There's all the other run of the mill expenses, like bills, running a car etc

Essentially, if you're here to save you don't want to be living too near temptation and there's a lot of that here in the trendy suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

It's decent but as other lads said it's quite easy to spend that kind of salary living in Melbourne without leading a particularly opulent existence.

Also worth noting that if job quotes $100k on Seek (or other job ad) it's probably inclusive of super, so actual salary is more like $91k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

yea im single so would only be supporting myself, i grossed 55k here in ireland last year so id probably need to be earning 100k over there for equivalency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

One bit of advice is don't try and compare what you earned in Ireland to what you think you should earn here . You need to sit down and work out the cost of living here and go from there . Never a good thing to compare one countries wages with another becasue things are so different in each .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I agree with ozeire. The biggest discrepancy between Irish cost of living and Australian cost of living is rent. What you'd pay €100 a week for in Dublin, you'd easily pay $200-$300 in Sydney/Melbourne. Also take into account whether super is included in that fugure or not, private health insurance levy if u choose not to go down that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

That's a very good wage I reckon. 100k a year (if super isn't included) is around $1500 a week after tax. If you haven't got anything left after that at the end of the week there's something wrong. Although I dunno if your planning on supporting an entire family on that so your situation may be different

I think the average wage in Victoria is something like $68k so your doing pretty good anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Hey,

I was in a situation to yourself about 6 months ago, just moving to Sydney as opposed to Melbourne. If you compare things directly to home you'll give up straight away. My Rent per week here is more than a months rent in Cork. but at the end of the Month I'm up on what I'd be on at home.

One of the first things to do is to calculate your gross salary as a multiple of the average industrial wage both here and at home.

Secondly have a look at the after tax salary in both. Base all calculations off that. http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

Then look at the areas you're thinking you'll be living in, http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/communityprofile/2GMEL will allow you to put in postcodes etc and you can see the wage and salary break down in that area by age and gender. Compare yourself to the Jones's!

I found this approach helpful for deciding the financial side of moving over.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

the salary is $46 an hr + 9% super

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

the salary is $46 an hr + 9% super

I have found that if you have good experience you can always negotiate a bit more, ask for an even $50 hr and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Pingu wrote: »
    Hey,

I was in a situation to yourself about 6 months ago, just moving to Sydney as opposed to Melbourne. If you compare things directly to home you'll give up straight away. My Rent per week here is more than a months rent in Cork. but at the end of the Month I'm up on what I'd be on at home.

One of the first things to do is to calculate your gross salary as a multiple of the average industrial wage both here and at home.

Secondly have a look at the after tax salary in both. Base all calculations off that. http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

Then look at the areas you're thinking you'll be living in, http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2011/communityprofile/2GMEL will allow you to put in postcodes etc and you can see the wage and salary break down in that area by age and gender. Compare yourself to the Jones's!

I found this approach helpful for deciding the financial side of moving over.

P.

Thanks Pingu excellent link

One question is the median house income Net or Gross?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

I would read it as net income from:
    The estimates of disposable income are derived from the gross income data collected by the ABS in the 2009–10 Survey of Income and Housing, with deductions for estimated income tax liability, the Medicare levy and the Medicare levy surcharge.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/by%20Subject/1301.0~2012~Main%20Features~Household%20income,%20expenditure%20and%20wealth~193

Advertisement