Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panama Coffee Dundalk

Options
  • 10-02-2013 10:56am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Was walking through Dundalk yesterday with some time to spare and I discovered this little nugget, I nearly didn't realize it was there. It's situated in the Tourist Office facing out to the new fountain. There's a real authenticity about the place decorated with Panamanian memorabilia and coffee sacks. The barrista in charge was the owner and I'd a nice chat with him about coffee, the coffee scene and Panama, he seems passionate about what he does.

I had a cappuccino to start, it was ably prepared by the owner's assistant presented with a nice rossetta. Very nice indeed, not too hot, (no chocolate!) and the coffee in the background was very tasty. Not the usual burnt coffee/milk or insipid taste everyone's become accustomed to when consuming coffee from the large chains. When I inquired about the coffee, I was informed it's roasted by a supplier I've tried based in Belfast; Bailies. It was that good I decided to chance and espresso. Again I wasn't disappointed, nice crema and really enjoyable. I didn't try the filter coffee so I'll have to reserve judgement.

Anyway, I hope it gets plenty of support. It's good to be able to enjoy good coffee out and about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Does he sell the beans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Been there a few times. Granted, for the two blondes that work there more so than the coffee itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Do we now all start advertising our favourite coffee houses and brands, or should we revert to adverts.is? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Do we now all start advertising our favourite coffee houses and brands, or should we revert to adverts.is? ;)
    Sure lets not talk at all.
    :rolleyes: Boards is like a litte community imo,you tell me something and i'll tell you something back and no advertising needed.Just word of mouth.

OP i knew of this place but didnt know what the coffee was like,thanks for the recc,will pay it a visit.

If you have a good tip about good coffee in Dundalk then now is the time to tell us about it before Allison Billions Newsletter closes the thread down.:pac::pac::

I always liked McAteers but thought bit on the dear/expensive side.

Have never been to Costa coffee in The Marshes but have been in other such places and it's terrible stuff with a heavy price attacthed for non enjoyment return.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Panama,23 seats and McAteers do the best coffee in town! Find Costas coffee a bit tastless and overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

washiskin wrote: »
    Does he sell the beans?

Didn't see any for sale but I've purchased from Bailies directly and I don't remember the shipping being extortionate.
    M.A.G wrote: »
    Panama,23 seats and McAteers do the best coffee in town! Find Costas coffee a bit tastless and overpriced.

Where's 23 Seats and McAteers? Do you know what roaster they use? I've no problem with posters discussing coffee in general around the town here, the thread title can be edited if ye want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without a doubt McAteers/The Foodhouse has the finest tasting coffee in town. I think the brand is Koffe or Koffy. The staff are also brilliant. Food is top quality as well.

But, like many things, I'm sure taste in coffee is varied and personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Find Costas coffee a bit tastless and overpriced.

I find that remark hilarious . I guess you mean "tasteless coffee" would that mean ?

1)the coffee is lacking flavour and is overpriced.
    or
    2 ) you considered Costas to be a tasteless joke for overpricing their coffee for lacking flavour .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

Didn't see any for sale but I've purchased from Bailies directly and I don't remember the shipping being extortionate.

Where's 23 Seats and McAteers? Do you know what roaster they use? I've no problem with posters discussing coffee in general around the town here, the thread title can be edited if ye want?
    McAteers is on Clanbrassil Street beside McVerry estate agents
    23 seats is on Crowe Street, it is in the same spot Eno were in before they moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Without a doubt McAteers/The Foodhouse has the finest tasting coffee in town. I think the brand is Koffe or Koffy. The staff are also brilliant. Food is top quality as well.

But, like many things, I'm sure taste in coffee is varied and personal.

Koffy is the brand they are a couple of good lads based near Jonesborough and are well worth visiting, you can sample and see their roasting set up and buy fresh from the pan if your on the right day.Ask for Tony or William.
    http://www.koffy.ie/index.html

• Advertisement

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I find that remark hilarious . I guess you mean "tasteless coffee" would that mean ?

1)the coffee is lacking flavour and is overpriced.
    or
    2 ) you considered Costas to be a tasteless joke for overpricing their coffee for lacking flavour .
    Eh..ok. I find Costa's coffee tasteless,with an "e" this time. Pretty hilarious stuff alright?!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Eh..ok. I find Costa's coffee tasteless,with an "e" this time. Pretty hilarious stuff alright?!

Glad to read you have a sense of humour M.A.G and welcome to the coffee shop thread . You may be interested in this upcoming event http://scae.ie/
    where you will find some new winners and runners joining the big coffee houses and perhaps managing their own franchise .

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

Tried Panama Coffee today with Mrs D.R Adams....impressed!

I tried a cappuccino...nice and smooth, no bitterness and the Oreo Muffin helped :-)

Nice location too i think, it would be nice to sit outside but being a non-smoker it would put me off,
    perhaps a non-smokers section outside?? (waits for the backlash......) One or two tables only!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

D.R Adams wrote: »
    Tried Panama Coffee today with Mrs D.R Adams....impressed!

I tried a cappuccino...nice and smooth, no bitterness and the Oreo Muffin helped :-)

Nice location too i think, it would be nice to sit outside but being a non-smoker it would put me off,
    perhaps a non-smokers section outside?? (waits for the backlash......) One or two tables only!

I usually have a coffee or two on a Saturday am outside and find it's not too bad (I'm a none smoker also and normally put off by smoke blowing across me even if not eating or drinking) but the pillars seem to shade the tables from each other.

btw there is only one or two tables outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

cargo wrote: »
    I usually have a coffee or two on a Saturday am outside and find it's not too bad (I'm a none smoker also and normally put off by smoke blowing across me even if not eating or drinking) but the pillars seem to shade the tables from each other.

btw there is only one or two tables outside...

Good to know.....yes I did only notice around 1 or 2 tables outside.

Well looks like I will just have to give the outdoors a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Anybody been to the market bar yet? just round the corner from panama? does tapas and drinks i think. going to try it out shortly, it seems to be going well. i assumed it wouldn't solely because of its location.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Went there yesterday morning with my book.... A few coffees later and being late for an appointment I must admit I'm impressed!
    rogieop wrote: »
    Anybody been to the market bar yet? just round the corner from panama? does tapas and drinks i think. going to try it out shortly, it seems to be going well. i assumed it wouldn't solely because of its location.
    Hearing good things. How'd you get on? Twas an awful hole before it became the market bar!

rogieop wrote: »
    Yeah,really enjoyed it.The food is top class and the staff are very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

MugMugs wrote: »
    Went there yesterday morning with my book.... A few coffees later and being late for an appointment I must admit I'm impressed!
    Hearing good things. How'd you get on? Twas an awful hole before it became the market bar!

well we went in, was told to take a seat. sat there for about 5 mins while the only waitress working stood at the bar chatting to one of her mates. Eventually she came over to serve us only for us to be told they werent serving food between 2 and 5.

Looks well inside and the tapas menu did look good. ill probably go back some evening and give it a second chance.

Advertisement