Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SS Mesh Users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭rui1000

I recently made a query on the group irishvaping on facebook about what would be healthyer: silica or mesh.
    Reply: They are both Healthy. i was expecting in group of people that switched to vaping with concerns about the toxic inahalations of tobaco smoke to find someone who would think about it.
    Im still wondering if even if not completly studied yet, there would be any pointers to what the healthyest would be:
    silica, mesh, cotton wathever else

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

That's funny, I just tried a silica wick in my AGA T+ last night, to compare it to the vape I was getting from a broken in SS wick. Maybe it's a sign!! :D

genniesilica1.jpg

Pretty easy to coil, less of a worry in regards to hotspots too, since it expands into the coil when soaked.

I held it upside down for 30 seconds, no leakage. Wicks away nicely as well.

wicking1.jpg

No comparison to the mesh though, I could puff and puff on that, without it going dry.

The taste is a lot smoother, but with a lot less of a throat/nic hit.

Think I prefer mesh, I'll continue using it for a while, something else will come along. Ceramic or whatever else is round the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

rui1000 wrote: »
    I recently made a query on the group irishvaping on facebook about what would be healthyer: silica or mesh.
    Reply: They are both Healthy. i was expecting in group of people that switched to vaping with concerns about the toxic inahalations of tobaco smoke to find someone who would think about it.
    Im still wondering if even if not completly studied yet, there would be any pointers to what the healthyest would be:
    silica, mesh, cotton wathever else

There are a few colossal threads on ECF about it. Hundreds of pages of conjecture, hypotheticals and guesses, a few pages of common sense and zero definitive answers.

People who say that silica is dangerous think that wet fibres can some how be vapourised. Can they? We don't know. But they maintain they can, as a guess.
    People saying that SS is dangerous are at least performing evaluations, but they've already shown that in use SS can't reach the temp needed to create a problem, so if there genuinely is a problem created when oxidising we can boil it out.
    There's a nanny-ish aspect to a lot of the educated guessing going on. I'd like to know everything abut the materials myself, but the vitriol and outrage that gets displayed on these ECF threads ("!!!! OMFG! Never going to use such and such material EVER again!!! Vendors should place warnings!!!") isn't helpful to the dialog.
    Silica - Dangerous fibres that magically don't get weighed down by heavier liquids.
    ("I'm NEVER vaping with THAT again!")
    SS mesh - Releases a carcinogen in what may be trace quantities when oxidised, can be fixed by boiling it off. SS doesn't reach that temperature in use.
    Cotton - First two inhales taste of an extremely mild hint of some kind of bleaching fluid if white cotton. Gone almost immediately. Cotton also burns when dry, and carbon is bad for you lungs (no shít).

I feel better nowadays. My lungs don't feel weighted or dense.
    If there are carcinogens entering my body I have serious doubts they're as efficient at killing me as my alcohol/whatever intake, my very serious bacon fetish, or my choice every day to walk across roads filled with functioning cars that are being driven by people I have zero trust in.
    If we did nothing because it might kill us, we may as well be dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im never drinking water again, fish **** in it

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

Hi guys. Interesting stuff. Rui I never caught your post on FB there but it brings up a very valid point.

I used to only smoke when I drink (but I'd chain smoke and binge drink so not healthy) so when I heard about ecigs I thought hey this could be more healthy so I switched. But if the SS mesh oxidation is 'coming off' into the juice and we're then inhaling it, that's not good either!

I prefer the more smoother more flavourful vape, which is why I've recently backed off my nicotine levels and I'm ordering lower nic juice or making my own lower nic and I prefer it. I'm now all about the flavour and vapour and just as long as I can feel like I'm inhaling and exhaling something (not just air) I'm grand.

Interesting post Green Hornet.

Superneat, I'll try the silica vs ss mesh and see what feels and tastes better. But this is kinda scaring me off ss mesh now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Well to be honest, I don't really worry about the Si/FG too much myself. So long as its wet there really is no issue. Cutting the wick is the part where you'll get most exposure to the fines but I wouldn't get overly concerned about that either so long as you weren't snorting the dust.....

I wouldn't be overly concerned on the mesh either but I tend to not like the acrid/metallic fumes off it when it gets any way dry. I'm confident that those fumes are not good....

illicit007 wrote: »
    But this is kinda scaring me off ss mesh now...

I wouldn't worry too much tbh. As I said, I'll carry on using both silica and SS until I'm definitively told not to, by someone who has tangible evidence as to it's long term effects.

As mentioned above, boiling is another option and would safeguard you more.
    Just oxidize as usual, then boil off twice and do a juice burn then vape away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

alot of the people scared off silica were probably using **** silica too, or fibreglass. anyone who ordered a clockworks rda last year will know the kind of godawful ****e i'm on about
    that stuff fell apart as soon as you looked at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, that stuff was unreal.....really unbelievable stuff.....

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

If you try cotton instead of silica it should wick better but, for me, not as good as a mesh wick.

• Advertisement

I just got sick of my juice turning nearly black from the oxidised wick, so I started to only oxidise the 5/6mm that comes into contact with the coil.

wick.JPG

Works a treat. As long as the bottom of the wick doesn't touch the bottom you shouldn't have any shorts and you can be rid of any hotspots the usual way.

Getting a smoother vape from 2 different gennys now, dunno if it's in the head or what but the wicks haven't really broken in yet so I'll see in a day or two.
    :)

Doing this should reduce the harmful effects, if any exist, of using a fully oxidised wick for vaporising. I flamed it for literally 4-5 seconds with a torch and used the pulse technique to enable the coil to build up it's own layer of oxidation.

Advertisement