Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens now?

• 10-02-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice! Long story short, I do event night photos for the college I attend and was asked by a student to do the photos for his event night. Did the photos and and he said he was really happy with them and asked for copy and received one about a week later. I gave him about 200 photos out of about 600. Later on a television company got in contact with me that had been filming in the college and asked if they could use my photos in the programme they were filming and said they would mention me in the credits etc I was delighted with this opportunity and sent them my photos.

What I need advice on is the student I gave a copy of the photos uploaded around 100 of them Facebook without my permission. Now I know they are just event night photos but I didn't want them on Facebook for various reasons and there was a lot of work put into them and I let him know this. I didn't want to come across as selfish and ask for them to be taken down so I asked that I was named in the title of the album and seen as they are up on Facebook I tagged myself in them so they were affiliated with my account as I took them.

Few days later nothing was done and was kind of annoyed when I spotted plenty of comments about the photos and how people liked them etc also I had tagged myself and none of the tags had been allowed but other peoples tags were now showing. Got in contact with him about my tags not showing and he just responded with you are listed at the photographer already???

So where do I go from here? As I didn't want them up on Facebook in the first place and were uploaded on the site without my permission, should I ask for them to be removed or what should I do? I don't understand why he didn't want them tagged? I know they are only event night photos and don't want to cause an argument with him. Without coming across as childish but I thought tagging them was being reasonable seen as they are up now anyway they may as well show on my account.

Apologies for the long post:o any advice please would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Contact facebook to have them removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Lesson learned OP when you are taking pictures and not getting paid then people will opportunistically do things like this all the time. Don't send on images in future until the usage if those images has been agreed in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

facebook is such an annoying thing...
    the last paid job i did, was for a family member.. and i knew his wife would be plastering the pics all over facebook, so i made separate folders -- one for "print" and one for "facebook" on the cd, that i provided. all the print ones were at full res (too large to spend time uploading to facebook) and the others were resized to 640px wide and had my name on each one. i thought it was the best way.
    i know there's not much you can do now, but definitely think about something like that for the future. and yes, most definitely contact facebook to have the images removed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Watermark everything you give away for free because you have no idea where it will end up. Also watermark everything you put on Facebook because again you never know where it will end up. Have a look at my Facebook page below, everything has a watermark with my details on it so regardless of where the pics end up there is no doubt who took them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Always ensure that your name appears in the exif data also. Usually then it will show up on fb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Always ensure that your name appears in the exif data also. Usually then it will show up on fb.

Doesn't FB strip all EXIF data? I thought it did..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Doesn't FB strip all EXIF data? I thought it did..

It may strip the exif but it definitely publishes the Caption and Copyright data from the iptc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Think it's one to chalk up to experience, when you handed over the photos did you tell the student that he couldn't use them on FB or tell him of any restrictions for their use? Legally you will own the copyright, but going the legal route could be a pain, especially if you didn't notify the student (in writting) of restrictions for the use of photos, he could claim he felt in good faith that by you giving them photos you were allowing him to use them anyway he wanted to.

I guess you could post a comment on each photo, that you (as the photographer) appreciate their comments.

Advertisement