Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying house in limerick

• 10-02-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all,

Is it nice to see a very good forum like this.

I am trying to buy an house in limerick, and specifically in Glanntan castletroy.

Could you please give me some information about this area?

Do you know which area is nice to look for an house?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a bit mixed out there I believe. Plenty of decent areas around Limerick - take a Sunday drive and check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnct

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Do you know any bad news on glanntan?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Glanntan is definitely one of the quieter parts of castletroy given its proximity to Monaleen(more family and non-student area)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

In fairness, I live in Limerick and would never buy a house here. It's your choice of course and I don't know for what reasons you're moving to Limerick, but there is much nicer villages within driving distance from Limerick that have nice houses for sale for decent prices and minus the Limerick feel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In fairness, I live in Limerick and would never buy a house here. It's your choice of course and I don't know for what reasons you're moving to Limerick, but there is much nicer villages within driving distance from Limerick that have nice houses for sale for decent prices and minus the Limerick feel.

Charming...

• Advertisement

Charming...

Opinions asked is opinion given. I wasn't slagging off the OP for choice of place to live. I just find that if you want to live near Limerick, it's way nicer to live outside the city and drive in every day. No need to be condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnct

Thanks guys.

I like Limerick, it is very nice. I didn't have any problem at all and the people are very friendly.
    I hope that the people remain optimists regarding this city,because the potential is very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

johnct wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Do you know any bad news on glanntan?
    Google "location x convicted" for info on the interesting neighbours.
    The info could be out of date, but the number of different stories will give an indication if its a relocation hotspot for scummers

johnct wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I like Limerick, it is very nice. I didn't have any problem at all and the people are very friendly.
    I hope that the people remain optimists regarding this city,because the potential is very high.

Best of luck with the househunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mr. TTime

There are a few god estates in the Castletroy area OP. My girlfriend lives in Newtown Park in Castletroy/Annacotty and must say I am impressed with the neighbourhood. Nice family feel to the place. No extra information about Glanntann for you though. Best of luck with any purchase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

Every suburb in Limerick is currently dealing with people being rehoused from regeneration areas into private areas. A lot of the people moved are decent people who just get on with their lives and won't cause problems, unfortunately a small minority just bring their problems with them, its all about the look of the draw. I have heard mainly good things about Glantann but I hear a few stories here and there about a few scummers being moved out there.

County Limerick villages and towns are having the same minor problems with undesireables being moved out there.

My parents have regeneration families living a few doors down from them that have caused absolutely no problems and have settled in with out any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

As a tv enginner I will advise you of the following, there is no TV cable in this estate so you cannot get UPC broadband in there, they only have UPC MMDS which is why there are so many huge poles on many a house in there.

Also there is only 1 cable to all the houses and therefore for sat tv you will need to either have a second cable if you want sky hd or skyplus to be brought down the front or side of the home. Just taught Id let you know that so you aint disapointed afterwards....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

For a factual report on the neighbourhoods in Limerick ,google Paul partnership lcdp report.

If you ask people on boards what you think of an area you will always get some people saying the area you asked about is terrible and that they wouldn't live there.. A good indicator of a good area is home ownership. If people have invested money and pay a mortgage then they will have a huge interest in keeping the area desirable. Glantain has a high owner occupier rate. Take a walk around by day and by night to get a feel for the area.

The areas with the highest amount of positive indicators are castletroy, monaleen, rhebogue, corbally, Ennis road,north circular road, doradoyle and mungret. These areas are above average to affluent compared with other areas in limerick. Before I'm taken to task, That comment is based on a factual report and not a "feeling" or my cousins first cousin was talking to a fella down the pub who said such and such did this and that in glantain..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My friends live there (Glantann) and to be honest it seems nice enough from when I have been there. There is a Garda presence pretty much there the whole time as they are babysitting witnesses or something. But I havent heard much reports of trouble there.

Advertisement