Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 month old won't sleep

Options
  • 10-02-2013 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone as title said my 8 month old wont sleep, to start he used to go down in his cot no bother and sleep within a few minutes.

It started before christmas he got bronchillitis very bad had him in tallaght but they said it was just a virus and it will take a few months to go so I was just giving him calpol/nurofen but I was letting him sleep in our bad he was so bed (bad idea being in our bed i know) PLUS NOW HES TEETHING!

He was so bad I wanted him near me and he just wanted to be cuddled all the time so now he always wants to be up and wont go asleep unless with me or me lying beside him in the bed, FINALLY HE GETS ASLEEP i lift him to put him in the cot he goes histerical and wont stop crying until I put him back in the bed hes a great baby otherwise its just the sleeping part now.

Im exhausted just want one good nights sleep good advice will be appretiated thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

where does he sleep for naps? Thats the quay, if you can get him playing in his bedroom with it slightly dimmed he might grow to love it again. then for naps, use the cot, then try a whole new bedtime routine based on the naps. Like, new nappy, pj's, sit in chair in bedroom, read story, put on mobile, then put in cot, then another story, then say night, night then leave, if you know this wont work rub his back till he sleeps then next night, rub till nearly asleep etc. If he just goes hysterical as soon as you walk into the bedroom, it will take longer but just make more steps in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    where does he sleep for naps? Thats the quay, if you can get him playing in his bedroom with it slightly dimmed he might grow to love it again. then for naps, use the cot, then try a whole new bedtime routine based on the naps. Like, new nappy, pj's, sit in chair in bedroom, read story, put on mobile, then put in cot, then another story, then say night, night then leave, if you know this wont work rub his back till he sleeps then next night, rub till nearly asleep etc. If he just goes hysterical as soon as you walk into the bedroom, it will take longer but just make more steps in the process.
    Thanks so much for your reply ill give it a go tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Babies do know what they like so he is crying because he prefers sleeping with you. You just have to work through it and it will take a few days for him to get used to sleeping by himself again.

Just stick to the same routine every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I went through exactly the same thing with my 14 month old last month. She had bronchiolitis too and I preferred having her close to me during the night when she had her coughing fits.
    It involved a few very difficult and sleepless nights, but by sticking to her old routine worked and she is now back to sleeping in her own cot and through the night again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

have been trying it all week but ill have to be more consistant hes crying so much when i put him in the cot after his bottle and read him a story and rubbing his back and all hes getting so upset hes heaving getting so worked up going to start giving him naps during the day in the cot want my bed back lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement