Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a domain

Options
  • 10-02-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this...

Looking to buy a particular domain but it's not available to buy or to bid on. I then checked http://whoowns.it/ and it tells me that the domain is up for renewal in October of this year. The website is not in use...

So is there anything I can do or should I just leave it and come up with something else?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You can:
    • Hope the existing domain owner doesn't renew in October (there are tools to help you get the domain if the owner doesn't renew).
    • Offer to buy the domain from the existing owner either directly or through a broker.
    • Come up with an alternative domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Graham wrote: »
    You can:
    • Hope the existing domain owner doesn't renew in October (there are tools to help you get the domain if the owner doesn't renew).
    • Offer to buy the domain from the existing owner either directly or through a broker.
    • Come up with an alternative domain name.

Thanks.

Would prefer not to wait until October so I'm looking at options 2 and 3. Buying directly from the existing owner - how do I get their contact details? All that http://whoowns.it/ provides is two names (next to Person:) but no way of really contacting them.

Option 3 is being worked on atm!

Is there an email address for the technical/administrative contact and an address for the registrant?

Is there anything hosted on the domain at all?

Is it a .com or or a different tld?

Graham wrote: »
    Is there an email address for the technical/administrative contact and an address for the registrant?

Is there anything hosted on the domain at all?

Is it a .com or or a different tld?

1. Nope.

2. Nope.

3. It's a .ie domain.

Ahhh, what type of registrant is the domain owner? If it's a company, it shouldn't be too difficult to get further details from the CRO website.

• Advertisement

"Sole Trader"

Phonebook, CRO search if the trader has a registered business name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Renn wrote: »
    Thanks.

Would prefer not to wait until October so I'm looking at options 2 and 3. Buying directly from the existing owner - how do I get their contact details? All that http://whoowns.it/ provides is two names (next to Person:) but no way of really contacting them.
    The upper name is usually the contact for the domain owner but the IEDR whois does not have any e-mail data. You might also try the .com version to see if there is any corresponding domain name owned by the same registrant. Selling and buying .ie domains can be somewhat problematic.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement