Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fish oils

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Don't take fish oil, eat fish.

Seriously, it seems to be not great for you long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Really?? is it bad for you?? I do eat a nice amount of fish roughly 3 180g salmon darnes per week but I am a student so the amount of fish i can buy is limited. The reason i want it is due to a high amount of nuts I eat daily so im trying to balance the omega 3-6 ratio. any recommendations ?

pone2012 wrote: »
    Really?? is it bad for you?? I do eat a nice amount of fish roughly 3 180g salmon darnes per week but I am a student so the amount of fish i can buy is limited. The reason i want it is due to a high amount of nuts I eat daily so im trying to balance the omega 3-6 ratio. any recommendations ?

3 times a week is fine.

Just eat less omega 6, it's cheaper. Fish oils are beneficial for short-term use (<2 years).

Macadamia nuts are low in omega 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Would like to hear more on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

What foods are particularly high in omega six that I should avoid?

I'm not being lazy not googling it, I actually trust ye on here a lot more!!!

• Advertisement

Fish oils seem to start increasing the risk of heart attack in people with diagnosed heart disease after 4 years.

Foods high in omega 6: some nuts, seeds, vegetables oils (not fruit oil like avocado or olive).

Nuts and seeds are no-where near as bad as veg oil as they come packed with lots of other nutrients, I'd still use them in moderation though (hard to not eat too many nuts..)

Fish oils seem to start increasing the risk of heart attack in people with diagnosed heart disease after 4 years.

Foods high in omega 6: some nuts, seeds, vegetables oils (not fruit oil like avocado or olive).

Nuts and seeds are no-where near as bad as veg oil as they come packed with lots of other nutrients, I'd still use them in moderation though (hard to not eat too many nuts..)

I eat about 20g of almonds every day?????

good-bad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Just to throw a spanner in the works but the whole hullabaloo over omega 3 and fish oils has turned out to be a bit of a red herring.

The reason why heart problems we're lowered by people eating more fish in their diet was not because of the fish. Basically it was because people were eating less red meat. Just cut down on red meat fella. Not saying fish is bad or that it might't have benefits but there's a difference between correlation and causation

Red meat doesn't cause heart disease.

20g almonds is fine!

20g almonds is fine!

Ridiculous I even worried about that but how and ever! Thanks el dangeroso, a great source of knowledge as ever! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

One less thing to supplement though I'm not a fan of fish :(

What was cauing the issue? Was it the amounts of oil or the processing?

One less thing to supplement though I'm not a fan of fish :(

What was cauing the issue? Was it the amounts of oil or the processing?

Probably the delicacy of the oils causing extra oxidative stress, total speculation but makes sense given the latest theories of how heart disease progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

20g almonds is fine!

I think we need to talk about quantities here.I suppose eating one piece in youre lifetime would be ok and eating nothing but red meat every day would be suicidal..so there is obviously a point where eating less of it would be good if you eat too much... So the studies show that cutting down does decrease your chances of heart disease (and cancer too!).. Here's the study if yould like to comment on it's findings..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/health/research/red-meat-linked-to-cancer-and-heart-disease.html?_r=0

Again, I stress that there is a difference between a link and a cause...

Armelodie wrote: »
    I think we need to talk about quantities here.I suppose eating one piece in youre lifetime would be ok and eating nothing but red meat every day would be suicidal..so there is obviously a point where eating less of it would be good if you eat too much... So the studies show that cutting down does decrease your chances of heart disease (and cancer too!).. Here's the study if yould like to comment on it's findings..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/health/research/red-meat-linked-to-cancer-and-heart-disease.html?_r=0

Again, I stress that there is a difference between a link and a cause...

Hang on, you can't have it both ways!:)

Re: that study, as they admitted, "People who ate more red meat were less physically active and more likely to smoke and had a higher body mass index," Now they say they controlled statistically for this, but that doesn't mean they completely eliminated the 'healthy-user' bias, in fact it's highly unlikely they did. People who don't give a crap about their health tend to not go to the doctor as often, ignore niggly health problems and do a million other things that the study didn't collect data on and therefore control for. This is a huge issue for observational research.

Here's another analysis of the same study:

http://healthcorrelator.blogspot.ie/2012/04/2012-arch-intern-med-red-meat-mortality.html

So you model the data in a different way and voila! Red meat is protective. Same data, different interpretation.

On the whole fish oil thing, Pat Divilly has just posted his food plan for the week (his own foodplan for himself) on facebook.

Including fish oil with each of his six meals. So Pat needs to get on here pronto.

Why are you trying to micromanage your diet? Eat a good mixture of everything and avoid faddy supplements and you will be absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hmmm, I take fish oils. I was prescribed them by my doctor because they are apparently suppose to help with memory loss. I've been taking them for years.

On the whole fish oil thing, Pat Divilly has just posted his food plan for the week (his own foodplan for himself) on facebook.

Including fish oil with each of his six meals. So Pat needs to get on here pronto.

One or two years of taking them are not going to kill you. But it's just a disturbing trend that we are seeing in long term trials, I'm guessing there will be more in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hmmm, I take fish oils. I was prescribed them by my doctor because they are apparently suppose to help with memory loss. I've been taking them for years.

I would've thought nootropics like L-Tyrosine would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I would've thought nootropics like L-Tyrosine would be better

Maybe so. I'm currently on an 'experimental' drug for insomnia and the consultant recommended the fish oils to compliment them.

I'll bring that up with her at my next appointment. She loves when I contradict her :D

• Advertisement

Well iv been eating an awful lot of nuts and nut butters while I was bulking but today my bulk is ended, also ive been extremley active over 3 hours per day of mixed training plus A 5K walk 5 days per week. are there other fat sources I could replace them with?? pumkin seeds etc?? id like something to grab a handful of and something to put into my porridge oats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I put some sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds and flax into my porridge every morning.

Well iv been eating an awful lot of nuts and nut butters while I was bulking but today my bulk is ended, also ive been extremley active over 3 hours per day of mixed training plus A 5K walk 5 days per week. are there other fat sources I could replace them with?? pumkin seeds etc?? id like something to grab a handful of and something to put into my porridge oats.

Dairy fat? I'm sure short term bursts for bulking are fine.

As with everything it's what you have as a staple and do consistently that really matters long term.

Dairy fat? I'm sure short term bursts for bulking are fine.

As with everything it's what you have as a staple and do consistently that really matters long term.

Well they've been a staple for a few months now but ive no problem changing that :-). Can I just ask what, if any benefits come from dairy fat?? Im not in anyway doubting you as I know you are extremely knowledgeable just curious?? also how's dessicated coconut?? id eat that on porridge instead too!!

Well they've been a staple for a few months now but ive no problem changing that :-). Can I just ask what, if any benefits come from dairy fat?? Im not in anyway doubting you as I know you are extremely knowledgeable just curious?? also how's dessicated coconut?? id eat that on porridge instead too!!

Coconut anything = awesome.

With Dairy fat you get a decent amount of K2, CLA, modest amount of vitamin A and a negligible amount of B vits.

Thanks very much for the tips.ill start on the coconut and dairy fat tomorrow, i dont want to completely cut nuts out but reducing my intake will help balance it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Well this is an interesting thread.

how do cod liver oil and fermented cod liver oil do?

Orla K wrote: »
    Well this is an interesting thread.

how do cod liver oil and fermented cod liver oil do?

I think fermented CLO does better, can't remember why, Chris Kresser has an article if you have a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Interesting, I take liquid fish oil every day because it has been touted so much. I'll have to read more on this! Just reading Chris Kresser's piece now, here it is if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Norwegian-Cod-Liver-Oil-Lemon-Flavor-16-9-fl-oz-500-ml/2804

Just to up this thread as ive yet to start taking any oil ( bought a nice big tub of coconut oil today though :P)

How exactly would that product fair out??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Just wondering what are peoples reaction to this?
    New research suggests that omega-3, the health supplement taken by millions of people, may increase the risk of prostate cancer.
    Scientists in the United States compared blood samples from more than 2,000 men.
    Their study found that the supplement increased the risk of aggressive prostate cancer by 71%.
    Taking omega-3 was also associated with a 44% greater chance of developing low-grade prostate cancer.
    Overall, the fatty acids raised the risk of all prostate cancers by 43%.
    Men with the highest blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids were far more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than those with the lowest levels, the study found.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0711/461777-omega-3-cancer/

Time to stop taking Omega 3?

I'll need to read the full study to draw any conclusions, but my position remains unchanged. Don't take fish oils, eat fish.

Fatty fish consumption is associated with reduced risk of prostate cancer in a cohort of Swedish men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Bosupe

Sorry for bumping this tread up. Would you consider this a good quality fish oil?

Active Ingredients per Capsule Amount
    Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 187.5mg
    Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 262mg
    Total Omega 3 562mg
    Natural Mixed Tocopherols 6mg

Thanks!

Advertisement