Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welsh Open Begins Monday

• 10-02-2013 4:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

After a week of qualifiers the Welsh Open begins tomorrow in Newport. With increased prize money and a new sponsor its hoped that the tournament enjoys more exposure than it has in recent years.

Last weeks German Masters champion Ali Carter will be one notable absentee as he failed to win his qualifying match last Wednesday.

As usual Eurosport will be providing full coverage.

Here's the link to the draw and match schedule.......

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsArticles/0,,13165~2253477,00.html

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Aye well done to Fergal and Ken for winning their quali rounds yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

will eurosport show ken's match tomorrow? prob not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I find since the beeb did away with 90% of their red button, watching the snooker is getting harder and harder :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Our boy Ken putting up a good showing against John Higgins here. Should have went 3-0 up really but a good chance to go 3-1 up anyway. Go Ken! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Doherty through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

well done ken a ranking victory Higgins is struggling lately, he's not getting any younger either. Walden or Ford next, you would fancy ken against either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Any victory is good for Doherty i guess, but how can that be acceptable performance for Higgins? surely better not to enter these tournaments if his head or his heart isn't in it....at least that's how it appeared to me anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

A wins a win no matter who he's played. Tom Ford or Ricky Walden will provide a stronger challenge as obviously John Higgins wasn't really at the races today.

I wouldn't worry too much about Higgins though come Sheffield time he'll be ready for a tilt at a possible fifth world title.

Very true that, looks the kind of event one or two top players could struggle for motivation, particularly in early rounds. So: taking a chance on Dale to bt Trump today, outright at 3/1 on betfair, as well as a little double on Dale +2.5 & King +1.5 vs Ding at nearly 5/2. Of course, Judd will now play like a demigod but worth the chance anyway I reckon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

great win for ken against higgins. he could be set for a good run this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

zack01 wrote: »
    A wins a win no matter who he's played. Tom Ford or Ricky Walden will provide a stronger challenge as obviously John Higgins wasn't really at the races today.

I wouldn't worry too much about Higgins though come Sheffield time he'll be ready for a tilt at a possible fifth world title.

thats true zack, there's a nice pattern to john wc winning years, 07, 09, 11 and maybe 13:p

Is Ken's next match tomorrow? Finding time schedules online is awkward.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is Ken's next match tomorrow? Finding time schedules online is awkward.

Ken plays Tom Ford 10.30 am tomorrow morn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

3-3 at the moment between ken and tom ford.

no tv coverage that i can find.

not on bbc.
    not on the red button.
    not on eurosport.

:mad:

Just following odds on betfair the only way....comfortably ahead of live scoreboard. Looks like Doherty may have an opportunity to win it

In the bag. Another good win

Well done Ken!

Yes ken wins 4-3 and to be honest he made hard work of that. Still he's in the quarters now.

Robertson or Bingham next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

It's been a long time since both Ken Doherty and Alan McManus were in a quarter final together? Any idea when that happened before?
    Ken to face Stuart Bingham today at 1pm.
    It this available on the BBC red button at all? I think it used to be on BBC Wales.

From cuetracker.net McManus bt Doherty in semi-final of non-ranking Pro Challenge Series in 2009. As for ranking tournaments, not certain, but they both reached the China Open semi-finals in 2005 so that may be the answer. I'm not the resident stato, all the info is on the excellent site cuetracker

• Advertisement

Ken 2-0 up at the moment and his safety shots are looking great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

2 - 2 :o

Yeah seems like I jinxed it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Some awful shots played in the last 10 minutes. Judd is four zip up on the other table.

Milkins robbed there. Rewound the shot that he was trying to escape from at the start of frame 6, red ball was touched but a foul was called by the ref. Now Ding is in the balls

Bingham vs Maguire in the final. I'm not a betting man, this could go either way. Maybe Maguire will tip it, he's made very few mistakes through the tournament. Bingham fought hard through most of his games and was lucky in some scenarios, but I wouldn't take anything away from him at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

If Maguire can keep his hat on he's in with a chance, but to be honest I can't remember the last time I've seen him play and genuinely thought he could go the distance, his temperament often lets him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am rooting for Bingham, but I do think Maguire could take it. At times he has played sloppily, but I think Bingham has been the sloppier of the two this tournament. I guess we will just have to wait and see. What's it best of today?

• Advertisement

Interesting first session. Bingham looked down and out at the mid session interval. His long potting was terrible and his safety shots were down on his own standard. Looked a completely different player after the interval.

Both players made a few mistakes though, it's all still there for the taking. I still think Maguire could pip it.

Advertisement