Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluval 305 air problem :-(

Options
  • 10-02-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope you can help.

The last 2 times I cleaned out the filter it took alot of hassle and time to get it working again.

It refused to intake the water when pumped or switched on. On both occasions I had to fill the filter up to the brim with water, reconnect and pump it to get it to circulate the water/air.

Also on both occasions I noticed that putting vaseline on the seal helped avoid water leaking out/air going in while pumping.

Hope this describes the problem for which someone has a solution.

(My guess is I need a new seal, but I'm thinking theres another problem.....):(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

mumof2 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope you can help.

The last 2 times I cleaned out the filter it took alot of hassle and time to get it working again.

It refused to intake the water when pumped or switched on. On both occasions I had to fill the filter up to the brim with water, reconnect and pump it to get it to circulate the water/air.

Also on both occasions I noticed that putting vaseline on the seal helped avoid water leaking out/air going in while pumping.

Hope this describes the problem for which someone has a solution.

(My guess is I need a new seal, but I'm thinking theres another problem.....):(

One good way to entirely avoid the problem in future would be to use a mechanical inline filter before the water hits your 305.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

what i do with my external filter is. close valves, then turn off pump, disconnect the hoses, clean it, fill it, connect back up, turn on pump, open valves.

i get a tiny bit of air and away it goes. no airlocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

corkgsxr wrote: »
    what i do with my external filter is. close valves, then turn off pump, disconnect the hoses, clean it, fill it, connect back up, turn on pump, open valves.

i get a tiny bit of air and away it goes. no airlocks

Thats what I used to do all the time and never a bother:confused::confused:

Thats why Im wondering if its the seal is worn out??..........

@CruelCoin : I think its cheaper to try the seal option as opposed to buying another filter....... must look up what you mean first btw as Ive never heard of it:o

Thanks for your replies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Had an issue a bit back where it took a bit to get going - there was a bit of gunge around the impeller so once i took it apart and cleaned the impeller part all out i have had no problems since. Might be worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

fungun wrote: »
    Had an issue a bit back where it took a bit to get going - there was a bit of gunge around the impeller so once i took it apart and cleaned the impeller part all out i have had no problems since. Might be worth a try

No that's not it either. But thanks for the idea. I always clean the impeller at the same time as the whole filter.

I'm waiting on a seal and hope that solves the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

i never refill the canister in my 305 ... just secure the hoses back in with the clip and open the cut off lever and it fills automatically after a few seconds with no air locks and no issues

Advertisement