Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet rabbit eaten by neighbours dogs

Options
  • 10-02-2013 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there

Four weeks ago I came home to find that my daughters pet rabbit which was outside in her hutch had been attacked and eaten by four husky dogs.

I live on an estate in a very small village and the dogs were from the house directly behind me. Three of the dogs went back under the fence and a neighbour was able to get the other dog out for me. All that was left of the rabbit was her back legs.

I contacted the owner of the dogs and she informed me that only two of the dogs were hers and she was looking after the other two for the SPCA. She told me that she was sorry and that she would pay for the rabbit and repairs etc, I asked her to fix the fence as I have four small kids that play out in the yard.

She has done nothing to fix the fence and I have found one of her dogs in my back yard since this has happened. I have text her to say that my daughter has a new rabbit and we have had to get an indoor cage until we know that it is safe to use the hutch but I have had no response from her.

Where do I stand with this and is there anything I can do?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I thought the thread title said Pat Rabbit eaten... And I was happy

But then I read your post properly. Sorry for your troubles OP, hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

How did the dogs get into the hutch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Flyingkiwi wrote: »
    Hi there

Four weeks ago I came home to find that my daughters pet rabbit which was outside in her hutch had been attacked and eaten by four husky dogs.

I live on an estate in a very small village and the dogs were from the house directly behind me. Three of the dogs went back under the fence and a neighbour was able to get the other dog out for me. All that was left of the rabbit was her back legs.

I contacted the owner of the dogs and she informed me that only two of the dogs were hers and she was looking after the other two for the SPCA. She told me that she was sorry and that she would pay for the rabbit and repairs etc, I asked her to fix the fence as I have four small kids that play out in the yard.

She has done nothing to fix the fence and I have found one of her dogs in my back yard since this has happened. I have text her to say that my daughter has a new rabbit and we have had to get an indoor cage until we know that it is safe to use the hutch but I have had no response from her.

Id be contacting the guards. The neighbour doesn't seem too worried about controlling the dogs.

With kids involved you cannot take a chance, the rabbit was your warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tell her that if you see one of her dogs in your garden again you will call the warden and the SPCA to let them know that the dogs she is supposed to be looking after are wandering freely.

I can't imagine what sort of rescue would allow 2 dogs go to a home to be fostered without first checking that the garden was fully secure :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Flyingkiwi wrote: »
    Hi there

Call the guards and report the dogs as being on the loose and dangerous, what would such a pack of dogs do to a small child? Also call your local ispca and have this person sorted out. There is no way any genuine animal welfare group would let them take any large animals like those dogs unless their garden was secure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Flyingkiwi

There was a large rock on the roof of the indoor area which they managed to get off and then they were able to open the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I agree about contacting the SPCA she is fostering dogs for, they need to know she doesn't have a secure garden (probably the very first thing you would check in a potential foster/adoption home by the way!)

But I do wish people wouldn't immediately wade in with 'oh think what they could do to a child' comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

First thing I would be doing is contacting the SPCA regarding the two dogs that she is fostering. Explain to them what happened and that she has made no effort to fix the fence. SPCA's and other animal welfare organisations I have dealt with often have contracts that have to be signed by fosterers, this in my experience will include having the dog in an enclosed garden and not allowing it to be off her property alone. They shouldn't take kindly to that contract being broken because it is them that will be liable if anything were to happen.

I would also contact the dog warden and ask him to come out and the gardai to see if they will come out and have a word with her. I would be coming down on her like a ton of bricks. You have given her a very fair amount of time to fix the fence which she has not done. Dog owners like this drive me mad. Sorry about your daughters rabbit as well, I can only imagine how horrible it was to find it like that and having to tell your daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

longshanks wrote: »

Yea for a few seconds I thought there was some good news for a change too.

Id be contacting the guards. The neighbour doesn't seem too worried about controlling the dogs.

With kids involved you cannot take a chance, the rabbit was your warning!

There is no need for scaremongering. Husky's are known for their very high prey drive, everyone has known a dog which couldn't be trusted around chickens, cats rabbits etc. but were great family dogs. Just because they killed the rabbit does not mean that they are now untamed savages waiting to kill anything that moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

I would get someone with a gun, should be too hard in the country, to shoot the dogs next time they come under the fence.

It ain't the dogs fault but there is no way I would put up with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Call the guards and report the dogs as being on the loose and dangerous, what would such a pack of dogs do to a small child? Also call your local ispca and have this person sorted out. There is no way any genuine animal welfare group would let them take any large animals like those dogs unless their garden was secure.

they'd probably lick the small child. Huskies have high prey drive, and will go for small furries, but they are also very good with people. They are a medium sized dog, not large animals.

op, I am really sorry about what happened to your rabbit, awful thing to have to deal with. definitely contact the local spca, as the dogs really do need to be in a secure environment, this person unfortunately is doing the breed no favours at all. :( I hope your daughter wasn't too traumatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Flyingkiwi

Would you believe that this woman is a guard

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

650Ginge wrote: »
    I would get someone with a gun, should be too hard in the country, to shoot the dogs next time they come under the fence.

It is illegal, and of course extremely dangerous, to discharge a gun in a residential area.
    Please do not advocate illegal "solutions", it is against the forum charter.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

650Ginge wrote: »

Eh, well there's no need for this.

Like what other people have said, get in contact with the ISPCA and inform them of what's going on with the fostered dogs and that the owner doesn't have a secure garden for them. I can't imagine they'll be too impressed with this. They might either confiscate the animals or force her to do something about the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I would definitely get in contact with the Spca and find out if she's being honest about the dogs. I find it hard to believe that any reputable animal rescue would not do a home check before allowing her to foster. Given that she can't be bothered to do something as basic as secure her garden to begin with I don't think she's a suitable fosterer.

Presumably whatever rescue she's fostering for would be relying on her to provide accurate information on the dogs behaviour and personality for future adoption. If she didn't mention this to the rescue and the dogs are adopted something worse could happen in the future. You also don't know why the dogs have been surrendered to begin with.

She's had time to rectify the situation and she hasn't done so, for safetys sake its time to intervene.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »

There is no need for scaremongering. Husky's are known for their very high prey drive, everyone has known a dog which couldn't be trusted around chickens, cats rabbits etc. but were great family dogs. Just because they killed the rabbit does not mean that they are now untamed savages waiting to kill anything that moves.
    But these are not family pets!

They are rescue dogs that the op knows nothing about and are breaking into her yard. Meaning she now can't let her kid out.

But these are not family pets!

They are rescue dogs that the op knows nothing about and are breaking into her yard. Meaning she now can't let her kid out.

Well 2 are rescues, the other two are owned by the woman and OP knows nothing about them either. I completely agree that they shouldn't be coming into OP's yard in fact if you read my earlier post I told her to come down on the dog owner like a ton of bricks. I wouldn't leave my kid out there either I think that is fair enough, but not because they killed the rabbit because they are strange dogs and I wouldn't know them. What is disagreed with is that you said that the rabbit was the warning, sibes have high prey drives and just because they killed a rabbit does not mean that they are going to start attacking people, it's just part of the nature of the breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

When acting together to kill and tear apart and eat a rabbit these dogs are not mans best friend or cuddly furry husky type individuals but a "pack" and they will take on anything they see as potential food. If that is a child who knows what the outcome would be. If I found sych animals on my property I would ring the local Gardai and make a complaint after I had videoed the dogs on my property.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    When acting together to kill and tear apart and eat a rabbit these dogs are not mans best friend or cuddly furry husky type individuals but a "pack" and they will take on anything they see as potential food. If that is a child who knows what the outcome would be. If I found sych animals on my property I would ring the local Gardai and make a complaint after I had videoed the dogs on my property.

Don't be so ridiculous. A child as food? Would you just get real. My huskies tore a hare apart in a few seconds that came into my yard, the same huskies that are extremely child friendly. And guess what, even though they are a pack, when I told them to leave the hare, they left it so yes, they are my best friends, but they are animals. I would never leave a dog and a child together, that is common sense, but to make out that these dogs turn into rabid child killers when theres 4 of them together is absolute nonsense.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »

Don't be so ridiculous. A child as food? Would you just get real. My huskies tore a hare apart in a few seconds that came into my yard, the same huskies that are extremely child friendly. And guess what, even though they are a pack, when I told them to leave the hare, they left it so yes, they are my best friends, but they are animals. I would never leave a dog and a child together, that is common sense, but to make out that these dogs turn into rabid child killers when theres 4 of them together is absolute nonsense.
    See this is the problem. You won't leave your kids alone with dogs, but its safe for these pack of dogs to break into the ops possibly when the kids are there. Because according to you they would never harm a child.

Bloody hell!

See this is the problem. You won't leave your kids alone with dogs, but its safe for these pack of dogs to break into the ops possibly when the kids are there. Because according to you they would never harm a child.

Bloody hell!

Please point out where I said it was safe or acceptable for these dogs to be in the OPs garden?

I would not leave a child alone with ANY dog, that is common sense. Children can do things to a dog that might make it snap, i.e. pulling a tail, standing on a paw, etc etc. its really not a difficult concept to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Its very easy for a rescue to use the letters SPCA after their name it doesnt mean that they are affiliated to the ISPCA. All rescues should do a home check for fosterers and Im surprised that any rescue would allow huskys into a home without secure fencing.

The owner and foster of these dogs is being irresponsible. they should ensure that their fencing is up to scratch and height!.

OP I would present them with a bill for the new hutch and also report them to the local dog warden and gardai. If the owner is a member of the force Im sure they will be embarrassed to be reported and it may prompt them to do something.

Finally, and I should have said at the outset, that Im very sorry that your child has lost their pet.
    You should be able to enjoy your own property with minimal interference from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

My first thought would be the safety of the child, I wouldn't want 4 dogs loose no matter how well behaved they are normally. Before reporting them to the guards (and you say she is a guard!) I'd have another chat with them. Tell them your worries about the kid and ask them to hurry up fixing the fence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

RIP. The Labour Party will find it hard to replace him.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

longshanks wrote: »

But then I read your post properly. Sorry for your troubles OP, hope you get it sorted.
    Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea for a few seconds I thought there was some good news for a change too.
    dahamsta wrote: »
    RIP. The Labour Party will find it hard to replace him.

I think this particular horse has been flogged enough at this stage. Just bear in mind the OP's kids have lost their pet in a gruesome way, so let's get back on track from hereon in.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Dogs in pack's resort to thier wilder state and all dogs will kill a rabbit if given half a chance.
    Had this happen a couple times with my daughters rabbits over the years.
    Best advice is secure your back garden with proper fencing. While you might see it not your responsibility its your kids that are at risk from stray dogs or irresponsible dog owners.

I like dogs but I definitely wouldn't trust a dog you don't know with chrildren especially if there is a pack of dogs.

Too many times you hear its the first time the dog ever bit anyone its so out of character someone or something must have provoked the dog.

Sheep farmers have a very strong view of packs of dogs for good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

OP so sorry for what happened:( hope your children are ok,what a terrible thing to happen :(poor bunny xx.That neighbour needs to secure her dogs what ever the breed.Neighbours dogs cant be allowed to enter into anyone elses back gardens.Lucky that your children werent there when it happened:(.xxxxxxxx

Advertisement