Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegan/cruelty free make-up in dublin?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everybody :)
    I'd like to know if there are some shops in Dublin where I can find makeup and nailpolish vegan and cruelty free.
    In Nourish and H&B I usually buy products as shampoo, conditionair, body and face cream, but they don't sell make up.
    There is Body Shop but I read they was bought from L'Oreal :mad:
    And Lush sells just few things. :(

Can someone help me? Where do you buy your vegan makeup girls?
    Thanks a lot! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sav1980

Check out the urban decay website - some of their products are vegan and marked as such. I use one of their mascaras (think they only have one vegan mascara) and also their mineral powder. You should be able to get Urban Decay make up in most department stores. Barry M nail varnishes are marked vegan, you can find them in Superdrug and Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DublinPumpikin

I heard L'Oreal bought Urban Decay as well :(
    I'll see if I can find Barry M to Boots. Thanks a lot sav1980 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Nourish on Liffey St have some Lavera make-up, I think. The Health Store have some in stock too in many of their branches (though their shops are not located in the city centre, but they have branches in Dundrum, Blackrock and other places - check their website for a list). You could also ring ahead, just to make sure, because the make-up isn't in many health food stores. Many of the Lavera products are vegan (not all mind!) and they are marked as such with the Vegan Society symbol.

Barry M have labels on their website with what is vegan. I've bought their nail varnish in Boots (Jervis Centre definitely has them), but I know that they have other vegan products as well.

Let us know what make-up you find and if you like it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DublinPumpikin

great, thanks a million!
    I will definitely let you know what I'll find ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Grainne2012

Agree about trying Lavera, it is great quality - I've been using it for the last couple of years and would recommend it highly. Mascara and eyeliner are also great for sensitive eyes - no irritation!
    Vegan approved list is here: http://www.lavera.com/blog/which-lavera-products-are-certified-vegan
    I buy it in the local healthshop. Good luck and happy shopping :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I heard L'Oreal bought Urban Decay as well :(
    I'll see if I can find Barry M to Boots. Thanks a lot sav1980 ;)
    Sadly it is true. Bought on November 26th of last year. They will remain cruelty free, but with L'oreal as their owner, they are guilty by association. Pity, I loved their products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

A friend told me Marks and Spencers on Henry Street have just opened a whole new beauty section, and all their stuff is BUAV approved. You'll have to look closely to find the vegan products, but it's a start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Noooooo! Totally sickened L'oreal has bought Urban Decay.
    Luckily i've been broke so haven't bought anything from there in a good few months.
    Cheers for heads up on Lavera, I hope they have an ultra pale foundation & it's not too pricey. I'll have a look in M&S as well, running a bit low.
    Thanks for the info girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

OP my brother is a vegan and so to accomodate this when he visits I purchased a little book called The Vegan Friendly Shopper.
    This book was a brilliant purchase as it lists all the foods, drinks, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, etc. Best of all it lists them per shop.
    Granted it is a UK based publication but given that we have Boots, Tesco, Debenhams, etc here in Ireland it will certainly cover the basics for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

zef wrote: »
    Noooooo! Totally sickened L'oreal has bought Urban Decay.

I'm gutted. Will use up what I have, but they are never getting another penny from me, I used save up to get their products, now I'll go bare skin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Can't believe that about Urban Decay! So disappointed! I love their products and I always felt so happy to be able to get such good products that were cruelty free. Such a pity as I'll try and avoid them from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Was gona say urban decay, didn't know they were bought by loreal but if theyre still cruelty free that isn't an issue for me, that's like eating in a meat restaurant that has a veggie option, I'm still gona go there and support the veggie option, just my opinion though. For make-up brushes eco-tools are very good and cruelty free. For nail polish, china glaze is a high quality one that's not available here but you can get it on beautyemporium.ie with free shipping. It's vegan afaik.

Are you against buying online? '100% pure' is a good vegan brand with a huge range of stuff. Their site is here. I know my sister has bought their stuff before. There is also tons of vegan make-up stuff on etsy if you look.

Pacifica has some products too like vegan lip tints etc, I've only ever used their body butter and perfumes but those are amazing.

I could probably name more stuff but it's probably not the kind of stuff you can just walk into a shop here and buy.
    A friend told me Marks and Spencers on Henry Street have just opened a whole new beauty section, and all their stuff is BUAV approved. You'll have to look closely to find the vegan products, but it's a start!

you wouldn't be talking about the 'pure' range would you, if so that's only skincare, made by the same people as 'origins', all vegan, not sure if it's in Ireland or just the uk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Just want to add FYRINNAE coz they're all vegan, very affordable, postage prices are ok too. Great thing about them too is you can order sample sizes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Disappointed to hear about urban decay. Think Los has a point though. I don't like giving my moeny to Loreal but better give it to their vegan products than their non-vegan ones. The better vegan products that do well the more chance of other parts possibly going vegan. Also it's not like all of Urban Decay's products were vegan anyway so even before it was still money going to company that still used animal products.

Elf are almost completely vegan (some of their cheaper brushes have animal hair) and super cheap. I know the prices seem so low you'd expect bad quality but I've got a few bits and pieces and they seem as good as some more expensive products you could buy.

Edit: Forgot to say you can buy elf at eyelipsface.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Real techniques make up brushes are cruelty free, you can get them in Boots (although they are almost half as cheap online iHerb.com). The artist that developed them is a veggie and said she wanted to make sure they were friendly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Inglot is cruelty-free also, isn't it? Probably not all vegan, but it's not tested on animals as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Sadly it is true. Bought on November 26th of last year. They will remain cruelty free, but with L'oreal as their owner, they are guilty by association. Pity, I loved their products.

That is gutting. Really gutting.

OP, all the M&S make up, cosmetics etc are cruelty free, Superdrug own brand is now cruelty free also.

I had heard MAC was ages ago but think they're owned by one of the conglomerates now as well, so annoying.

Also, Lacura (I think it's called), which is the Aldi own brand is cruelty free, all Aldi cosmetics and household products are, same with Tesco although not sure if it applies to Barbara Daly stuff.

This website is my info source www.uncaged.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Anyone got any shampoo recs? I tried Naked and Faith in Nature - they're paraben free too and my hair is always greasy afterward. Tempted to go back to the Sulfate-packed Superdrug own brand again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Have you tried the Jason range? There's one with vitamin e which I find good, same price range as Faith in Nature I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just came here to post that, good stuff.
    It was delayed for years due to teh EU researching alternatives, they spent 238 million to make this happen.
    http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/sectors/cosmetics/files/pdf/animal_testing/final_report_at_en.pdf

Wow. Seems to good to be true...I'm still expecting some loophole to show up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There was already a loophole (testing on animals outside the eu), as there was another ban. This was to close the loopholes.

There was already a loophole (testing on animals outside the eu), as there was another ban. This was to close the loopholes.

Yeah I know, I just keep expecting something to have been forgotten. Just my cynical nature. :o

Advertisement