Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Modification and revenue comisioners

• 10-02-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi there,

I have a self converted camper HGV, done early 2012. Now my little family got bigger +1
    The camper would really do with some sort of extension.
    I would like to extend my roof. However this means cutting the structure of the roof made of 4cmx4cm steel boxes. My idea is to put half of a caravan on the roof.

I really appreciate if someone would know how to deal with modifications made on the body and the revenue commissionaire.

Do you have to go throughout all the process involved in re-classifying the vehicle ? of an Engineer report is enough ? photos ? invoices ?

any idea please talk.

thanks for your help !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

My idea is to put half of a caravan on the roof.icon6.pngicon6.png

I've seen people weld mini-bus roofs onto 32 seaters from the windows up in Germany. Can't see anyone in Ireland wanting to insure something like that though because we tend to assume everybody's a cowboy.
    I wouldn't risk not welding that kind of a job...caravans are generally made of cardboard...likely to crumble soon as you take it off the chassis.

I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Something like this;
    _school_bus_van.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Is it a box body wouldn't it be easier, more aerodynamic and less eccentric to put a longer body on the chassis.

Another option I thought of before for nicely profiled extra headroom is a couple of fibreglass roofs like lt35, ldv convoy, transit high cube. You cut the two so that end to end to make up the full length and join with new fibreglass, If you're fussed about the width are too narrow you can split and join with new glass or get three roofs. Then again the old man is a fibreglass nut from boatbuilding and windsurfing so I'd be getting it done for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ashfaclan

well to be honest I want to put a rigid foldable caravan on top. I know in Ireland insurers are a pain in the ass when it comes to HGV camper and self build. However I think having a foldable caravan would look more like a small extention nothing crazy.
    I am insured already so I don't need to show photos or pass engineers report again.

Thanks guys for your inputs but unfortunately it doesn't answer my main question. Should I say something to the revenues about my changes and what do I have to do ?

a bit like this guy
    157310004022207.jpg

but with that (folded):
    462310010821447.jpg

462310017499045.jpg
    unfolded ;)

Depends on how legal you want it. If you modify your chassis without notifying your insurance company and follow through all the rigamarole that entails you will be liable regardless.
    For all intents and purposes it will look legal and you will probably not be questioned or stopped but I guarantee if there is an incident it will come to light.
    Best ask your insurance company.

• Advertisement

PS. Don't ever cut the load bars!
    ...body panalleling's fair game though

Advertisement