Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selling a rifle privately.

Options
  • 10-02-2013 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi, im looking to sell a rifle, a naighbour of mines is kinda interested in the gun, can he apply for a permit and collect from me when he gets it, my permit is still good for eight months more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Kinzig wrote: »
    Hi, im looking to sell a rifle, a naighbour of mines is kinda interested in the gun, can he apply for a permit and collect from me when he gets it, my permit is still good for eight months more.

ya no prob, once your licence is valid you can hold onto it, stipulate on the application that the rifle will be held by the licence holder until a current licence is produce by the new owner,then when that is sanctioned your licence becomes invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ya no prob, once your licence is valid you can hold onto it, stipulate on the application that the rifle will be held by the licence holder until a current licence is produce by the new owner,then when that is sanctioned your licence becomes invalid.

Actually, all that bit in blue is incorrect. The way it works is that person A owns the firearm and has a licence for it; Buyer B gets a licence for the same firearm and then A sells B the firearm and that's that. You should, strictly speaking, fill in an FCA2 and cancel A's licence at that point as the secure storage arrangements will have changed, but it doesn't happen automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

thanks deerhunter, but a garda lad told me that was against the law now. it made illegal when they brought in the new permits.

We've heard something along those lines too Kinzig, but section ten remains unaltered since 1925:
    On and after the commencement of this Act it shall not be lawful for any person to manufacture, sell, repair, test, or prove, or expose for sale, or have in his possession for sale, repair, test, or proof, by way of trade or business, any firearm or ammunition unless such person is registered in the register of firearms dealers.
    So I'm not sure where exactly this is coming from. Private sales are trade or business, so as long as both parties have the necessary paperwork, section 10 does not appear to prohibit it (and the last 90-or-so years of private sales kindof backs that up).

Sparks wrote: »
    We've heard something along those lines too Kinzig, but section ten remains unaltered since 1925:
    So I'm not sure where exactly this is coming from. Private sales are trade or business, so as long as both parties have the necessary paperwork, section 10 does not appear to prohibit it (and the last 90-or-so years of private sales kindof backs that up).

Thats interesting.so it could be illegal then..im not much good on the law stuff:confused:

• Advertisement

Kinzig wrote: »
    so it could be illegal then
    Er, how?
    Seriously, if there's a law about this, I've missed it (which is a long way from impossible, mind you).

Sparks wrote: »
    Er, how?
    Seriously, if there's a law about this, I've missed it (which is a long way from impossible, mind you).

Thats grand then so, it puts my mind at rest..ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Sell it no prob and help your mate with any info he needs but Si not let he gun go ti you see the licence.
    That would be a serious problem if the law were to find out.

Advertisement