Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I drop out of college ?

Options
  • 10-02-2013 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey I am in first year in college in a two year course and I am having trouble deciding what I should do with my life. I study computing and I have recently been thinking that I made the wrong choice in going to college to study it. I have always had an interest in computers especially game design but lately I feel that its just not for me. I have passed two of my exams by the skin of my teeth and failed two others (math & programming) so I am going to have to repeat them in August and if I had that much trouble with that semester I dont know how I am going to pass this semester. I would drop out but if I do that means i wouldnt get another grant (which I need) to study something else. I have been thinking that I would love a career that has something to do with animals or second to that tourism but even then how do I go about getting those jobs with out a college degree or diploma. If anyone has any advice for me please let me know. I dont know if it help but i am only coming 19 this month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Hi Op
    I did a one-year h.dip in computers. I was very unhappy with how little material we were covering and started to assume a one-year course was a waste of time.

Out of curiosity I looked up some exam papers and curriculum for a 3-year level 7 degree. To my surprise, there was very little difference. The college just padded out the level 7 course with subjects like multimedia, maths, marketing and more projects. The standard was the same.

Furthermore, few people in the class had any interest in computers. They just stumbled their way through, delighted to scrape marks in the 60s (grade inflation.. 60 is the new 40). Lecturers also ensured they created teams of say one good person and 2 dummies to ensure everyone got similar marks.. I reckon very few doing these computer courses have the interest, aptitude or ambition to gain employment in IT.

First year programming really isn't difficult at all and there's no reason you should have failed it if you had any interest or aptitude for computers. Seriously, do you not love computers? At around 11pm at night, has a thought or an idea, or a solution to a problem you were having, occurred to you that caused you to fire up your computer and work until 7 in the morning?

If not, to me it sounds like you're in the wrong course. If you drop out and wait a few months you may be entitled to support from Fas to do one of their courses. I don't think universities and ITs are the be all and end all. It's more important to find something you like doing and then if you wish try to gather some formal skills through education and training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

[Large scale] games have designers and programmers in separate roles. Not sure how strong game designers need to be in programming, but I would investigate that before making a decision based on your programming skills. On a side note, from what I have heard it's not easy to get a first job in games design.

I agree that colleges don't generally teach a decent level of proficiency in programming (and I'm in a good position to comment). I also agree that the typical manner of assessment lets people get good grades without decent knowledge or aptitude (and sometimes vice-versa). If you're a student who wants to be good at it you would be well advised to expand your skills beyond what is required for or covered in your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sadly, my experience of interviewing people for computer courses has been that many of them start with 'I have always been interested in computers'. Further discussion usually establishes that they have only used computers for playing games and facebook etc, and many haven't the faintest idea about, or ever tried to use, any (say) graphics programs or have attempted even the most basic maintenance.

Having said that, my daughter did a one year computer course in a gap year between a BSc and an MSc and discovered that in fact that tiny bit of experience was surprisingly useful in her Masters.

If you are unlucky enough to get into an apathetic class it can be difficult to keep up your own interest and enthusiasm. I can only suggest you keep at it, you may only scrape through some aspects of it, but if you can get the final qualification it will be a stepping stone to another area.

You have vague ideas about animals and tourism, if you are honest with yourself I think you will find that these are areas that sound 'easier' and less academic. In fact you would quickly find that if you are to do anything worthwhile in either area there is a great deal more science/technical stuff to learn that you realise.

Hang in there, ask for help if you need it, and don't give up at this stage, this is just the time of year when everyone feels tired and anxious about exams, and the speed at which the year is slipping by.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Sometimes it is simply a matter of not enough hours dedicated to the course, which leaves gaps, which results in failure and it becomes a vicious circle.

Instead of giving up, treat it as a job. Do that job (i.e., your course) for 8 hours a day, every weekday. Do this until your repeat exams are done, then consider whether you still want to give up. You will have given it a decent go and will be able to make a more informed choice.

I taught at third level for several years and students who took that approach always did well, whether they were talented in the topic or not.

Advertisement