Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost Peppers

• 10-02-2013 7:01pm
    Site Banned Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in growing hot peppers but I've never grown anything before. I plan to grow a few different strains like the ghost pepper and a few other others all indoors.

Can someone please give me some "how to" information on what's involved. I know NOTHING about gardening and growing so please assume you're explaining it to a 4 year old :)

Many thanks to anyone who volunteers. Robert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Firstly, it's not too difficult once you get the hang of it...

First things first..

Do you have a propagator kit? Either heated (which is preferable) or non...

Also, once established, do you intend to grow them inside the house or in a greenhouse or similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

robertb wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm interested in growing hot peppers but I've never grown anything before. I plan to grow a few different strains like the ghost pepper and a few other others all indoors.

Can someone please give me some "how to" information on what's involved. I know NOTHING about gardening and growing so please assume you're explaining it to a 4 year old :)

Many thanks to anyone who volunteers. Robert

I was just about to start a thread saying the exact same thing! I also have zero experience growing anything, except maybe some water cress many many moons ago ha! Would love to start growing some ghost chillies/Habeneros/Scotch Bonnets etc if its possible with our climate!

If it can be done indoors great, if not i have access to a small greenhouse if it would be better in there, just seems like its awfully cold to even think about growing anything over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Here is a good article on how to grow Chilli Peppers
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Technophobe

The idea is to get them started off indoors and then allow them to grow on, then harden off and then you can keep them in an outdoor unheated greenhouse....

Some chillis will germinate without a heated propagator, so if you have a warm windowsill or hot press, this will do for getting them to germinate....The tricky bit then is getting them to stregthen and grow on, as they will need light...Uncovered on a window cill on a frosty night may be tricky, hence the preference for a heated propagator...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lots of people grow peppers and chillies. Best bet is to use a heated propagator for germination. Or else somewhere warm like the hot press. Get them out of the prop ASAP after they germinate or they will get leggy. The key thing then is light. They are fairly slow growing so a window will be fine, preferably south facing. Take them away from the glass at night so they don't get frosted. You should probably aim to plant them out in early June when night temps should stay above 10-11 degrees. Gypsy and Denver are 2. Good types for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I think you may have a hard time growing ghost chillis in Ireland, maybe try an easier chilli to grow for the first time? Or try both, just don't pin all your hopes on ghost or naga chillis. Cayenne types are easy to grow. Some of the more exotic types are difficult/slow to germinate and may take a very long time to produce anything unless we get a very sunny summer (fingers crossed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ah they're not too hard to grow! :D

IMG_20130218_162242.jpg

Heroditas wrote: »
    Ah they're not too hard to grow! :D

What type of chilli plant is that?

What type of chilli plant is that?

A Naga one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Once the chilli plant is established and given a crop of chilis, how should the plant be looked after when plant has stopped fruiting? She bit be pruned back? Pruned back vigorously?

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    A Naga one. :)

You obviously know what you are doing so! Im going to buy a propigator in the next week hopefully and plant something! Complete beginner so i will just have to see how things go i guess, your plant looks great!!

You obviously know what you are doing so! Im going to buy a propigator in the next week hopefully and plant something! Complete beginner so i will just have to see how things go i guess, your plant looks great!!

It originally came from this:

2011-06-25153403.jpg

It's a can the size of a coke can that you just open and pour water in it.

I got it in Florida in May 2011.

There were three sprigs that sprouted from the can and I had transplanted the contents a couple of times. Last year that plant was a tiny sprouting sprig.
    Here's a picture of it last July!

IMG_20120622_122816.jpg

The secret is: water and sunlight. Simple as that. :)
    One sprig died and the second grew into a reasonably sized plant I had at home.
    I dug the third sprig out of the second sprig/plant's flower pot last year and stuck it in the flower pot above and brought it into work. Just watered it twice a week and the occasional bit of plant feed.
    Somewhere warm and a fluoscent light and the seeds will germinate. That's the tricky bit. After that, nature does all the hard work.

Advertisement