Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Players With the Fewest Honours

• 10-02-2013 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

A post on the Guardian just wondered if Van Persie was going to win an actual winners medal this year, which got me wondering which very top level players have won the least?

Here's Robins CV of team winners medals

Feyenoord UEFA Cup (1): 2001–02

Arsenal FA Cup (1): 2004–05 FA Community Shield (1): 2004

Admittedly the definition of top level is up for debate but I think most of us know what I mean. Quality talent that could play for most famous teams in the world and/or has seen EC/WC level action at the business end.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm struggling to think of anyone of a similar calibre to RVP who has won as little as him.

I mean, Gerrard was good enough to be the focal point of a league winning team but he has a few FA cups, CL winner's medal etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some I'm sure will disagree but I would say Shay Given.
    Honours

Sunderland
    Football League First Division (1): 1995–96
    Newcastle United
    UEFA Intertoto Cup (1): 2006
    FA Cup Runner-up (2): 1998, 1999

At his peak he was just as good as Hart imo and one of the best keepers of the Premier League era making the PFA Team of the Year on two separate occasions.

Far worse keepers have won a lot more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Alan Shearer,1 league title,stand to be corrected on that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

RVP was my first thought too.

Alan Shearer maybe

Matt le Tiss, although he never played for a top team, he oozed class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Would you of gotten a medal for the Inter-toto cup seeing as it was basically just a qualifying tournament for the UEFA Cup? Don't know if you'd class it as an honour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Pfft

Socrates. Probably the greatest player Ive seen besides Maradona. He refused to Leave Brazil because of his political and social beliefs. Now, he was one hell of a player.

Funnily enough Patsy Freyne and Dave Barry (my hero) are never mentioned on boards.

Freyne was incredibly skillful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

surely just shearer. 1 league for all he done

Maybe Defoe to an extent. Never won anything I dont think despite playing at spurs and portsmouth the year they won the two domestic competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Gazza's haul was pretty bad. Take away his Scottish titles and has one FA Cup winner medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Matt Le Tis fwiw. Probably the most naturally talented player I've seen. Stuck with the Saints through thick and (mostly) thin. And won sfa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Quote:
    Honours

Sunderland
    Football League First Division (1): 1995–96
    Newcastle United
    UEFA Intertoto Cup (1): 2006
    FA Cup Runner-up (2): 1998, 1999
    At his peak he was just as good as Hart imo and one of the best keepers of the Premier League era making the PFA Team of the Year on two separate occasions.

One cannot win the intertoto cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

roanoke wrote: »
    Gazza's haul was pretty bad. Take away his Scottish titles and has one FA Cup winner medal.
    So take away his medals and he has no medals? Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Paul McGrath
    1 fa cup and 2 league cups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Shearer would be my choice, Matt Le Tiss, McGrath, Gazza etc all had some problems to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

So take away his medals and he has no medals? Genius.

Thanks. I thought so too.

Gary Lineker.

Won a Cup winners cup and a Spanish cup with Barca, and an FA cup with Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Didn't he win an FA Cup medal with City? And the Nations Cup is worthy of a mention :D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Didn't he win an FA Cup medal with City? And the Nations Cup is worthy of a mention :D

Inter-toto is more worthy of a mention :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Stuart Pearce, great player but won feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

How about the worst player with the most honours?

Roque Junior has won the Champions League, the World Cup, the Copa Libertadores and the Confederations Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Batistua*, did he win anything?

Googled him, won the league with Roma, forgot he even played for them.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Gareth Bale in 10 years unless he gets his act together and moves to United this summer!! :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ireland's Robbie Keane

1 league cup medal

Ireland's Robbie Keane

1 league cup medal

Have a 2nd look a thread title lad! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Batistuta.

One Seria A with Roma and a Seria B and Italian cup with Fiorentina only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Stanley Matthews. Won a FA Cup winners medal with Blackpool in 1953 and a couple of Second Division winners medals and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Gareth Bale in 10 years unless he gets his act together and moves to United this summer!! :D :P

Ughhhhh...everything I hate about United in one sentence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Luis Suarez

markesmith wrote: »
    Ughhhhh...everything I hate about United in one sentence

hehehe...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ireland's Robbie Keane

1 league cup medal

2 MLS Cups???

• Advertisement

Melion wrote: »
    Luis Suarez

Uruguayan championship, Eredivisie title, Dutch Cup, English league cup and a
    Copa America

Sir Tom Finney won nothing despite being one of England's greatest in 40's and 50's AFAIK. Was a one club man with Preston North End...gone be the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Funnily enough Patsy Freyne and Dave Barry (my hero) are never mentioned on boards.

Freyne was incredibly skillful.

Didn't they win a league and a FAI cup respectively?

Strangely if Shay Given didn't move to Villa for a season before being dropped to be a bench warmer a season later anyway he'd have a premiership to his name.

I think Robbie Keane deserves another mention, prolific EPL and international goal scorer and has flip all silverware to his name. Plenty of gold coins though, he he.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

George Best won surprisingly little for his stature in the game. 2 league titles and a european cup. Lot of individual honours mind you.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Batistuta.

One Seria A with Roma and a Seria B and Italian cup with Fiorentina only.

+1 to this.

I miss Batigol :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Klinsmann won a lot less in his club career than he should have considering how good he was and that he played professionally for 21 years.

2 Uefa cups, the Italian Supercoppa, and a Bundesliga.

His international career makes up for it, but I would have expected him to have had a far more successful club career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Weird thing just happened. Just came on to the the soccer forum. Saw this thread, thought to myself, Le Tissier.

Then he came on Talksport 2 seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Totti and De Rossi didn't win much isn't it.

Both won World cup which very few players have done but at club level they didn't win as much they should have. De Rossi is even worse as he didn't win Serie A title, just 2 Coppa Italia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Dirk Kuyt, a Dutch and English league cup to his name.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

FatherTed wrote: »
    2 MLS Cups???
    Don't forget his Carling Nations Cup medal! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Strangely if Shay Given didn't move to Villa for a season before being dropped to be a bench warmer a season later anyway he'd have a premiership to his name.
    Do you not have to have something like 10 league appearances to receive a medal? Doubt if he would have played 10 times last season. Although, I'm not sure if that rule applies to keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Ryan Giggs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Klinsmann won a lot less in his club career than he should have considering how good he was and that he played professionally for 21 years.

2 Uefa cups, the Italian Supercoppa, and a Bundesliga.

His international career makes up for it, but I would have expected him to have had a far more successful club career.

Ya his club record is poor alright but winning a World Cup and a euro championship is an incredible achievement for any player.

jimjamcos wrote: »
    Sir Tom Finney won nothing despite being one of England's greatest in 40's and 50's AFAIK. Was a one club man with Preston North End...gone be the day!

Scholes-Giggs_1697868i.jpg

Sacramento wrote: »
    Scholes-Giggs_1697868i.jpg

Was more a reference to gone be the day when great players stayed at one club for their career when the chances of winning trophies lay elsewhere.

This thread just highlights that there are very very few top players today who have sacrificed winning trophies to stay at one, unsuccessful, club.

As much as I love Giggsy, I'm not sure he would have stayed 23 years at United if the club was trophyless in that time. Scholes maybe.

Advertisement